Like Star Crossed Lovers

City Lights

September 2nd, 2001

"So, what are we going to do when we get into the city?" Courtney asked from in front of me.

"Well, first we go to the hotel we'll be staying at, then we go shopping of course," Carley rolled her eyes like it was the most obvious thing.

So far on the bus ride I was miserable. Stuck with the two girls who think we're friends. Courtney isn't so bad, but Carley is the one who drives me over the edge. She's the most annoying creature that walks upon the planet Earth, yet almost every guy who sees her falls victim to her charm. Like in one of those vampire books I've read. Just, she isn't gorgeous. Well, naturally anyway.

Her morning routine consists of what looks like seventy pounds of make-up. While I just put on some eyeliner, foundation, and eyeshadow.

Carley thinks, she knows everything. Carley thinks, everyone should bow down to her. Carley thinks, that she can have anything she wants. Carley thinks, she can have any man she wants. Carley is wrong.

As the bus slowed to a quick stop I glanced out the window. New York. More beautiful then I could have ever imagined. Buildings stretched toward the sky, millions of people were packed onto the streets, cars everywhere you look, but the air, the air smelled horrible. As my eyes skimmed over the large buildings, they stopped on two of the tallest. A smile snuck it's way onto my lips as I stared at the two buildings. The Twin Towers. My father works in the southern tower. That's where I'll visit him in a few days. Just like I promised.

"Carren? Are you listening to me?" Carley glared at me from the seat in front of mine.

"Yeah," I moved my gaze forward, keeping my eyes low. Never look thebitch beast in the eyes.

"So anyway, shopping," she declared. "Okay Carren?" she questioned with a bitter-sweet tone, to hide the demanding look she gave me.

"Alright," I muttered calmly.

We slowly entered the large city. So many people flooded the streets. To many people. I myself would probably get lost so many times if I lived there, that every time I walked into a police station, they picked up a phone and called one of my parents as soon as they saw me walk in. On top of that I would probably be mugged ten million times to many, within one week. I have no luck at all, when it comes to those sort of things.

I sighed heavily for the millionth time, as the bus finally slowed to a stop and the door opened, letting us out onto the crowded streets, so we could walk the rest of the way to the hotel. I grabbed my suitcase from beside me in my seat and flung my messenger bag over my shoulder. I took in a prolonged breath and shut my eyes tight for a few seconds. This could be the greatest trip of my life, or it could be hell. Hopefully not the later of the two.

I walked behind Carley and Courtney as they chattered on and on endlessly about things I didn't care about. Is this how I'm doomed to spend my life? Stuck behind two preps I don't even like, because I'm to afraid to tell them that I don't want to hang around them anymore? And without them, what would I be? I'd probably be Carren Starfield, captain of the girls basketball team, ex-prep, and friend-less loser.

The sick and twisted reality of a sick and twisted world? Afraid so.

'Why do we have to go shopping?' I thought, as what they were dragging me into sank in. 'They know I hate big places. Or at least they should.'

As we walked down the crowded street, just a large mass of teenagers, a gym coach, and a science teacher, people looked up from they're daily activities long enough to give us strange looks. All the beautiful people. Just like my mother said. "New York, where everyone, is gorgeous. Almost everyone," She had always told me.

I gazed around me at all the buildings. Mapping out my surroundings. Trying to remember what street the Star bucks was on. Trying to keep in mind that there was probably another one on the next block. It was all so much bigger then Rhode Island. Way bigger. Way more people, then I'd ever seen in one place. Way, way more. I wonder if Chicago is like this. Most likely, I'm guessing so.

We came to a large building with a sign that read 'The Hilton'. Joy, we're staying in a hotel owned by an annoying preppy brats dad. Wonderful.

Once we were all inside, the teachers called roll. I only uttered one word the whole time, as everyone else chattered excitedly about being in New York. That one word, being 'Here'.

I guess I wasn't as excited now that I was in New York. But, that's alright. I'll be happy when I go see my dad at work. Like I used to, when I was his little pink princess. When we were a family. A happy one, at that.

I stood calmly until the lobby cleared some and a key was shoved into my hands by Courtney. Carley of course, got her own room. I would be sharing with Courtney. That's perfectly fine with me. As long as I don't have to stay with anyone from the basketball team or Carley. And Courtney is the closest thing I have to a best friend. She listens to me. I listen to her. But she doesn't, really understand me. Only I understand me. But that might be, because I don't even make sense to myself, sometimes.

Courtney smiled at me and turned walking up a flight of stairs. I knew that was my signal to follow, so I did. All the way up the stairs, down the hall, and to the elevator. Why didn't we just take it on the first floor?

I opened my mouth to ask but she already knew what I was thinking. "Carley took the elevator on the first floor. I know you don't like her too much," she paused. "I don't either." she whispered lifting her hand to her mouth to shield it like it would stop people from hearing.

I mouthed an 'Oh' as the elevator opened, allowing the two of us to enter. We walked inside and the both of us set our suitcases down at the same time, like we had rehearsed it or something. Sometimes we did things like that, though it was perfectly normal by this point in time, so neither of us said anything.

As the elevator slowly lurched upward I sighed and examined the wooden walls, and the orange glowing buttons.

"So, are you going to let Tevin take you to prom?" she asked curiously.

"Ehh, no I don't think so," I smiled an exaggeratedly disgusted smile. "What about you and Tyler?"

"Oh, of course he's taking me. Who else would he take." she laughed biting down on her glossy pink bottom lip.

To make her happy I let out a small giggle. She grinned and once the automatic doors slid open, walked forward and down the hall until stopping in front of a door. I followed behind her, involuntarily, just hoping for some reason to go back home, or to have to stay at the hotel while the girls went shopping.

She opened the door and let me go in first. A dark hotel room. It was nice, enough. Though, if Carly were to see it, one calm word would be 'Tacky'.

"Well, since I know you hate shopping, I'll tell Carly that you were feeling sick." she smiled.

"Uhh, thanks." I blinked surprised.

I walked over to the bed closest to the window, and collapsed onto the soft comforter, closing my eyes. After a few minutes I heard the door click closed. I opened one eye and Courtney was gone.

I tore the pack of cigarettes from my pocket and lit one as fast as I could, finishing it off quickly before falling asleep.