Status: Hiatus

I Can't Believe This

Truce?

I was just pulling back into Tré’s driveway, when my cell went off. Sighing, I picked it up and flipped it open. “Hello?”

“Lisa, it’s Mike. Billie’s on his way back to your house.”

“Oh, okay, thanks. I’m right outside.” I smiled as the front door opened and Mike waved at me. I waved back and started the car again. “Is Tré still asleep?”

“Yeah, he is. But he woke up once and asked where you were.” I cold hear the wariness in Mike’s voice. How long had he been up?

“What’d you tell him?”

“That you had gone out for awhile.” He laughed before continuing. “Then he said, ‘Tell Lisa thanks for yelling at Rhianna, but that it wasn’t necessary.’ Did you actually yell at her?”

I didn’t answer right away. “I might have given her a piece of my mind,” I finally admitted.

Mike laughed again. “Good job. I guess I’ll talk to you later?”

“Yeah. See you.” I closed the phone, waved at him once more, then backed out of the driveway and went home.

I hung up my jacket and walked into the living room, looking for Billie Joe. “Billie?” I called. He wasn’t downstairs.

“Up here,” he replied.

He met me halfway up the stairs and wrapped his arms around me. “Hey,” he greeted, kissing my forehead.

“Hi.”

I linked my arm through his and pulled us back down the stairs. We settled on the couch. I was just about to open my mouth to tell him what had happened with Rhianna now, when he spoke.

“What did she say about me?” he asked, his eyes gazing at me with focused intensity.

“What?”

“Earlier, when we were at Tré’s, you said that Rhianna said some stuff about me, and that’s how you two got into the fight. What did she say?”

His thumb was making circles on the hand he was holding. “Um…she just said a bunch of different things. Nothing important,” I lied. I wasn’t the one who needed comforting right now. Besides, Ethan had basically reassured me.

“Well, it must have been important enough for you two to get into a fight,” he countered. “Please? Tell me what happened.” His voice was quiet. Intent.

I sighed and averted my gaze from his beautiful face. “She said that I wasn’t anything special and that you were probably cheating on me anyway. And that I thought I was better than everyone else just because I was dating you.” I looked from under my eyelashes. Billie’s face was angry and wary all at the same time.

“Oh,” was all he said.

“And, I got angry because I didn’t believe that it was true, and then we got into the fight, and on her way out, she said that just because someone says they love someone, doesn’t mean that it’s true. And that’s when I snapped. I know I shouldn’t have listened to her. And I tried not to, but despite everything, a little wedge of doubt pushed into my thoughts. And I kept thinking ‘what if?’ So I went out to get coffee and I got some advice and reassurance, that I shouldn‘t have needed, but I did.”

Billie’s arms were around me, his face completely serious. “I love you. No one else. And you are the most special person I have ever met. I wouldn’t do anything to ruin things between us.”

“I know. I just, I don’t know why I let her get to me. I know you love me.” I laid my head on his shoulder, then tilted my head and pressed my lips to his neck. “I love you too.”

We sat in silence for about an hour, just listening to the clock ticking and our breathing. Billie broke the silence. “You said you got advice and reassurance while you were out. From who?”

“What,” I asked.

“Who did you talk to that made you feel better?” I knew he wasn’t prying, but it kind of felt like he was.

“Oh, um, Ethan, actually. I know, weird huh?” I sat up and looked at him.

“Ethan. And he was actually helpful?” His voice held amusement.

Relaxing a bit, I smiled. “Yeah, I guess he was having an off day.”

Billie chuckled. “Must have been.”

***

“Come on!” I yelled, diving into the pool. The water was refreshing as I submerged. It was an uncomfortable 96 degrees outside and I’d suggested that we have a barbeque and a kind of pool party. So now Mike, Tré, Billie, and I were sitting around the pool. Well, I was in the pool, but whatever.

I shrieked as Billie Joe jumped in, clothes and all, and grabbed me around the waist and tossed me a couple of feet into the air. The water rolled over my head and I smiled, an idea forming in my mind. I opened my eyes, ignoring the slight burn of the chlorine and wrapped my hands around Billie’s ankles and gave a tug. I popped up from under water and laughed.

“That wasn’t nice,” Billie said from behind me.

Rolling my eyes, I smiled. “Yeah, well, it’s me. Of course it wasn’t nice.”

Billie shook his head and waded over to me. “This was a good idea.” His arms locked around my waist as he leaned in to kiss me.

Grinning, I secured my arms around his neck and crushed myself closer to him. It had been about two weeks since Rhianna had broken Tré’s heart, and although all of us could still tell he was heartbroken, he was getting better. He wasn’t moping around anymore. He’d returned the engagement ring and he was trying to act like his normal self. Although his normal self isn’t that normal.

“Get a room!” Tré yelled.

“Fuck off!” Billie yelled, closing the distance between us again.

“Wow,” Tré muttered. “Way to treat your best friend. I’m hurt Billie Joe!”

I pulled away from Billie and swam to the edge of the pool, hoisted myself out, and wrapped a towel around myself.

“Hey, no need to cover up,” Tré, said, wriggling his eyebrows at me. “Ow, that the fuck?” he said, just as Billie kicked him in the leg.

“My girlfriend. Hands off.”

“Hey, I never put my hands on her, just my eyes.”

“Wow,” I murmured.

Billie sat next to me and casually bit into a slice of watermelon. That’s when I felt his hand on my thigh. I nudged his hand away, smirking. He didn’t even look over at me, just kept eating his watermelon. A few minutes later his hand was back on my thigh, rubbing it slightly. I had to suppress a giggle. I moved my leg, letting Billie’s hand drop.

“What are you doing, Billie?” Mike asked, grinning.

“Eating watermelon, what does it look like I’m doing?”

“Sure you are,” Tré chimed in, following the line of Billie’s arm that disappeared under the table.

“Shut up and eat Tré.” Billie turned his head slightly and winked at me.

My gaze shifted from Billie to Mike, then to Tré. They were all staring at me, amusement in their eyes. Billie’s hand slowly traced my thigh, making its way to my inner thigh. I was just about to brush it away and whack him on the head.

“Hand check!” Tré yelled, lifting his arms into the air.

Mike and I did the same, laughing as Billie jumped. He raised one of his arms into the air.

“And the other hand?” Tré inquired, his eyes narrowing.

“Is none of your business,” Billie said, smirking as his hand poked my side.

I yelped and fell of the bench seat I’d been sitting on. “Damn it," I complained. "My ass hurts now."

The guys burst out laughing and Billie extended a hand out to me. “Having trouble?” he asked, pulling me up.

“Nope. Why?”

Mike spoke up next. “That was, uh, smooth?”

“I know, you’re jealous of my skill.” I shrugged nonchalantly, taking a bite of watermelon.

“I know I am,” Tré answered, grinning at me. “Good one Billie.”

“Thank you,” Billie replied, smiling. “Now if you don’t mind, I think I’ll take a swim. He stood up and peeled off his almost dry shirt then turned toward the pool.

I turned back to Tré and Mike, and picked up my glass of lemonade. “What?” I asked, suspicious. They were both smiling at me.

“Nothing,” they said at the same time.

“And I think you should join me,” Billie suggested, lifting me up.

“Billie, no!” I yelled, as he swung me over his shoulder. “I still have my lemonade in m--” I got cut off as he launched me into the air. I screamed as I flew through the air, then hit the water. “You are so dead,” I threatened after swimming to the surface. “You made me spill my lemonade.”

He was laughing hysterically along with Mike and Tré. Billie leaned down a bit and extended his arm to me for the second time that day. “Need help?”

“Sure.” I swam over, and grabbed his hand, then tugged on it and pulled him into the pool with me. I lifted myself out and smiled at him. “Thanks.”

“Oh, you are gonna get it now,” he joked, swimming over to me. He lifted himself out and walked towards me.

“Oh, no you don’t.” I backed away. “You are not throwing me in the pool again.”

Billie motioned with his hand, grinning. “Maybe I won’t…” he trailed off.

Tré’s arms grabbed me around the waist and he lifted me off the ground.

“No! Put me down!” I yelled, through my laughter. “Tré!”

Mike grabbed my flailing feet and held them off the ground as Tré shifted his hands from my waist to my arms. They swung a few times then started counting.

“One!” they yelled. “Two!” They swung me again. “Three!” They let go of me and I sailed through the air again, landing in the pool. I popped out of the water, my hair in my face, and treaded back to the edge of the pool.

“Look out!” Tré yelled. “It’s the Swamp Thing! Mike protect me!”

“Shut up Tré.” I removed my dripping hair from my face and glared at him before lifting myself out of the pool again. “Swamp Thing,” I muttered. “Thanks, Tré.”

“No problem, babe.”

I turned to Billie Joe, who was still laughing and smiled. “Having fun?” I asked, slowly walking over to him.

“Actually, I…I am!” he gasped. He was standing at the edge of the pool, doubled over with laughter.

“Good,” I commented, then pushed him into the pool.

His eyes widened with surprise as he fell backwards into the water.

“Am I interrupting something?” a voice said from behind me. I turned and gasped. “Emilie!” I ran over to her and wrapped her in a hug.

“Ugh, dude, you’re all wet.”

I laughed and dragged her over to the pool, then pointed at Billie. “I’m not the only one.” He was just lifting himself out again, still laughing.

“Hey, Emilie,” he said, grabbing a towel.

“Emilie!” Tré yelled, scooping her off the ground and into a bear hug.

“Hey Tré,” she laughed, patting his head. “What’s up?”

“How long are you here for this time?” I asked.

“Um, actually I just got transferred here. So…”

“You’re here permanently?” I ran over to her again and hugged her. “Sweet!”

“Ah, dude, get off, you’re wet.” she joked, pushing me away.

“Well, that won’t be a problem for you soon.” I smiled and walked forward.

She back up, glaring. “Don’t even.”

“Don’t’ what? I’m not going to do anything.” I took a couple more steps forward.

She backed up again, her eyes widening as she hit the edge of the pool “Ahh!” She fell over backwards into the water.

“Told you I wouldn’t do anything.”

“You suck,” she grunted, getting out.

I threw her a towel and winked at Billie.

“Emilie?” I heard behind me.

I froze, my breathing stopped. I turned slowly, my gaze landing on Ethan. Who was looking uncomfortable standing at the edge of the backyard. “What are you doing here?"

“I came with Emilie. She called and…” he trailed off, his eyes sweeping my body.

I shifted uneasily, then walked over to the stack of towels and picked one up, wrapping it around me. I really didn’t want him looking at me in my bikini. “Emilie?” I asked, looking at her.

“I wanted to apologize and I thought it would be a good idea if I brought Ethan, so that he could apologize too. And I wanted to tell you about my moving here.”

“He already did,” I pointed out. “About two weeks ago, actually.” I sighed and looked at Billie, Mike, and Tré. They were all staring coolly at Ethan. “But, thanks. I mean, I know you’re sorry. And it’s great that you’re going to be living here.” No one said anything.

“Hello, Ethan,” Billie finally said, coming to stand next to me. “You’re welcome to stay if you want. We're just having some lunch.”

“And throwing people into the pool,” Tré interjected, winking at me. The his arms were out and Mike was in the pool. “See?”

“Tré, I’m going to kick your ass.” Mike said, swimming to the steps in the pool.

“And so far, we’re the only ones who haven’t been pushed in," he pointed out, gesturing at Ethan and himself. "It’s like a game. The last one who’s still dry wins,” he said simply, his smile smug.

“Guess Ethan wins then,” Emilie said, forcing Tré back with her arm.

He teetered on the edge and grabbed Emilie’s arm to try to anchor himself.

They both fell in.

“Um, yeah. You can stay, if you want.” I said, trying not to laugh at the look on Emilie’s face.

“Bastard,” she groaned.

“Uh.” Ethan surveyed the group around him, probably trying to figure out if it was safe for him to be there or not. “Sure, I guess. For awhile.”

I smiled in encouragement and sat down next to Billie at the table. Mike, Tré, and Emilie sat down also. “You can sit you know,” I teased.

“Oh, right,” he stammered, taking a seat across from me.

For the next hour we all sat around just talking about random things. And Mike and Tré got to know Ethan a little better. Emilie told us how her dad had been sick a few weeks back, which is why she opted to take the promotion she’d been offered. It paid about twice the money that her old job did, and she was closer to her parents.

I kept watching for signs of trouble between Billie and Ethan, but nothing happened. They didn’t really talk, so much as exchange pleasantries. Which was fine. As long as they weren’t beating the shit out of each other, I could deal.

As I gave Emilie one last hug, I noticed Billie pull Ethan to the side for a moment and start talking quietly. I tried to shrug it off and gave Mike a hug, then Tré.

“Thank you,” Tré whispered against my hair, during our hug.

I pulled back. “For what?”

“For distracting me. I know that’s what you wanted to do. And it worked.”

I smiled timidly. “So you got that did you?”

His smile went all the way to his eyes. “Of course. I knew you’d do something like this.” He ruffled my hair and hugged me again. “I appreciate it.” Then he followed Mike out.

“You’re welcome,” I whispered to no one. I walked back to the table and started clearing cups and stacking plates up to take them inside and wash.

“Let me help you,” Billie said, grabbing the plates from me and taking them inside.

“What were you talking to Ethan about?” I asked, settling the cups in the dishwasher.

“I was thanking him.”

I knew my face looked confused when I turned around. “For what?”

“For reassuring you. I went over to thank him for it, and he told me what he said.”

“Oh.”

Billie closed the space between us in one stride. “We have kind of a truce now.”

I arched an eyebrow. “A truce? So you’re, like, friends now?’ I asked, skeptically.

“Not exactly friends,” he mused. “More that he won’t try to sabotage our relationship.”

“I don’t understand,” I confessed.

“He’s waiting for me to fuck everything up, as he puts it. And if I do, he’s going to be there. Your knight in shining armor.” He sighed and kissed me softly. “I’m not going to fuck this up,” he promised, his eye burning into mine. “I won’t let you go again.”

I smiled and stood on my tiptoes to press a kiss onto his lips.