I've Got A Secret, Please Don't Repeat It

chapter twenty two'

Rebecca didn’t turn around until she heard the elevator doors close. She couldn’t return to this life; there were too many memories attached to it. The elevator ride down to the taxi was quiet, no one got on to Rebecca’s elevator. The taxi driver was waiting outside, with her luggage in the truck. The only time Rebecca looked back was when the taxi started to pull away. And it was something she regretted.

Fernando stood in the doorway of the hotel, watching Rebecca ride away in a taxi. He simply waved to the girl that was taking his heart with her.

Rebecca was shocked to see Fernando standing there, waving to her. She did not wave, but instead put her hand up, acknowledging the boy that she was leaving her heart with.

Rebecca turned around to face the road ahead of her, only to see the taxi driver looking at her through the rear-view mirror.

“Shouldn’t you be with the team right now, miss?”

“A death in the family,” Rebecca quietly lied.

The taxi driver nodded, not wanting to press the matter anymore.

Rebecca hadn’t actually told the taxi driver an exact location, but infact told him to just drive around. For the first time in almost 3 hours the driver spoke, “Do you mind if I turn the game on?”

Rebecca simply nodded.

The team was shocked not to see Rebecca on the bus to the stadium. Luis’ excuse was that she was coming “later.” She wasn’t at the stadium, nor was she there for the national anthem. The team played on, without Rebecca. The team was slow to start, but they were able to come around. Unfortunately, one player was not.

Fernando was playing horrible. Luis subbed him off in the 69th minute, instead of giving him a lecture; he gave him a simple handshake. Spain was able to pull out a win over Russia, 3 – 0.

Fernando wasn’t in the celebrating mood after the match; he sat in his stall with his head in his hands, dreading the fact that he was the reason that Rebecca had left. Fernando tried to think of what he could do to bring Rebecca back, but nothing was coming to mind.

“Don’t kill yourself over Rebecca.”

Fernando looked up to see Sergio standing with the same expression, “And how am I suppose to believe that from you? When you’re feeling the exact same way?”

“Because she left me for almost 7 years.”

Fernando couldn’t comprehend what Sergio was telling him, “You...you two were together?”

“No…best friends since we were 5.”

Fernando nodded, “That’s why you were so protective.”

Luis was bombarded with questions at the press conference after the match, almost all of them pertaining towards Rebecca.

“Where’s Rebecca?...Did she leave?...have an argument with Fernando? With Lukas?”

And with each question, Luis simply answered, “No comment.”

Rebecca smiled slightly as the game ended on the radio; the taxi driver then asked her a surprising question. “Proud of your boys?”

“I am.”

“Not much of a –“

The taxi driver was cut off by Rebecca’s phone.

“Sorry, excuse me.”

“Don’t mind me, you’re paying the fare.”

Rebecca picked up her phone, “Hello?”

“What the HELL do you think you’re doing?”

“What do you mean?”

“Why aren’t you at the game? They said you were away with an ‘injury,’ but I didn’t see you on the sidelines?”

“I had to go.”

“You have to be kidding me.”

“I couldn’t face him anymore. I couldn’t face anything of that.”

“He did this to you?”

“Yes.”

“And you’re willing to leave soccer because of him?”

“Yes,” Rebecca said, as she felt the tears falling down her cheeks.

“Come to London then.”

“What?”

“You were coming to London anyways, so just come now.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Now tell the taxi driver to take you to the airport. I’ll have someone pick you up.”

“Rafa, you have no idea what this means to me. You’ve saved me so many times.”

“Only returning the favour.”

“See you later.”

“Have a good flight, Bec.”

Fernando was so disgusted with himself when he came back to the hotel; he knew it was his fault that Rebecca had left. It was entirely his fault. And he planned on getting her back.

He stormed into his hotel room to find Olalla on her phone; he snatched the phone out of her hand.

“Get out.”

“But…but baby!”

“Just go.”

Fernando sat on his bed, his head in his hands, contemplating what his next move was.

Rebecca sat in the Vienna International Airport, waiting for her flight to London, England; when her phone started ringing. She assumed that it was Rafa, but she was wrong.

“I thought you had a match to play?”

Fernando looked down at his phone puzzled, “I already played today…”

“Nando?”

“Sorry,” Fernando responded rudely. “Were you expecting someone else?”

“No.”

“Good. Then I have something to tell you.”

“I don’t want to hear it.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Sorry doesn’t change anything.”

“Olalla’s gone.”

“Still doesn’t change anything.”

“Than what will?” Fernando pleaded.

“Nothing,” Rebecca said coldly.

And with that Rebecca closed her phone, therefore closing Fernando out of her life. But she had to say one last thing.

Fernando looked down at his phone; completely taken back. He had lost the girl. She would never come back to him. Fernando felt his phone vibrate; he opened to find a text:

We're one mistake from being together.

Fernando’s eyes light up, maybe he did have a chance?

But I’m not willing to take the chance
- Rebecca;Maria
♠ ♠ ♠
"We're one mistake from being together. But let's not ask why it's not right. You won't be seventeen forever. And we can get away with this tonight."
~ Metro Station