Can't Get Over You, Can't Get Through to You

Just a Little Talk Between Old Friends

Brian's POV

Nikki just ruffledher our daughter's hair, kissing her forehead, as she said, "I'm going to be in my office, alright? Mariemaia, don't do anything stupid.....like climb the Pirate Bar or play with the slot machines."

Mariemaia pouted as her mother got up, turned around, and walked off, disappearing into the sea of people who wandered and/or stayed at this hotel. It was like Nikki was avoiding everything, trying to not talk to anyone about why she left or the fact that I am Mariemaia's father. She didn't want to talk about anything. It was obvious that Nikki prefered to keep to herself. What's she running from?

"She's running from her past," Hunter said, as if he could hear what I was thinking, "She's been running away from everything."

"How do you know Nikki," Val asked as Mariemaia came back to me and hugged my leg.

I smiled as I picked her up, placing her on my lap. Mariemaia's known me for a couple of minutes and already, she's daddy's little girl.

"I knew her grandfather, Cody. He was one of my friends and I remember him showing me pictures of Nikki. Adorable child. So when she just gave birth to Mariemaia, Cody asked if it was possible for her to stay with me. I agreed and Nikki lived with me while she was in college."

"He's Grandpa Hunter," Mariemaia said, smiling as she grabbed a piece of bread.

"That's what you call me," Hunter sighed, opening another beer.

"So, Mariemaia," Zacky said, looking at the little girl that was on my lap, "How old are you?"

"Thwee but I'm gonna be four soon."

"Yeah, so we all say she's four," Tash said, "Isn't that right, Mari?"

"Yes, Auntie Tash," Mariemaia said but then she looked at me, "Daddy?"

"Yes," I asked, looking into those eyes that were just like my own.

"Who are they," she asked, pointing to Zacky, Matt, Val, and Johnny.

I laughed as she just looked at them, not really sure of who they are. Mariemaia had no clue who anyone was aside from Jimmy, Tash, Hunter, and now myself.

"They're your other uncles and aunt. That's your Uncle Zacky, Uncle Matt, Aunt Val, and Uncle Johnny," I said, pointing to each one, "But you can call Uncle Johnny 'Uncle Shortie.'"

Johnny scowled at me as everyone laughed. Mariemaia was just plain confused but just went with it. Tash shook her head as Hunter smirked.

I smiled as my daughter just hugged me. It bothered me knowing that I missed the years of watching her go from being a little baby to this adorable child in front of me. The only thing I knew about Mariemaia was that she was my daughter. I don't know when her birthday is, what her favorite foods are, what she likes.....I don't know anything about her.

That made me feel pathetic.

Nikki's POV

I sat in my office, my face placed in my hands, as I watched the many tv screens. I could watch everything that goes on at this hotel all in the comfort of my own office. Nothing went on that I didn't know about.

The screen that had my attention was that which was showing everyone at lunch. Mariemaia was sitting on Brian's lap. I sighed, knowing that now that she knew who her father was, my daughter would want to spend all the time in the world with him. That didn't bother me. I was justthinking of dreading the fact that Brian would want to talk about why I left. By now, someone would have told him why I left and I was trying to avoid it at all cost.

Another sigh escaped. Four years passed and I had to look at my daughter and see Brian's features staring back at me. Mariemaia had the one feature that I had once loved in Brian: his dark brown eyes. It was hard looking at them, remembering all of the times I had looked into them as I painted. There were so many times that it just hurt, realizing how much I missed him but knew that I couldn't go back.

My eyes shifted as my chair moved to face out the window. I was leaving in two weeks to check out a possible manager for the Pirate Bar in Colorado, leaving Tash in charge and to watch Mariemaia. The Pirate Bar was the newest addiction to the Atruskia and of course, I needed someone to manage it. I had one in mind, someone I had met when I was living in Woody Creek. She worked at one of Hunter's favorite taverns and now they were closing. I'm out there to make sure she's the one I want to manage this bar.

"This is my home," I whispered as I stared out the window and at the Vegas scenery, "And the Atruskia is my kingdom."

My two rotweillers, Velken and Dartanian, laid on their beds, watching me. Dartanian was my newest dog that I had gotten a year before. I figured having another dog would give Velken a playmate so he wouldn't be bored.

"And you two are the royal guards," I smiled as Dartanian yawned, "My little lazy tired guards."

I leaned back as my headed rested on the back of my chair. My eyes closed as my hand reached for the remote, pressing a button and allowing one of Chopin's many noctornes to fill the room. Something to soothe me and calm my nerves.

"Nikki?"

I must have fallen asleep because silence now filled the room. I groaned as my eyes shifted towards the double door. Another knocking came before Val's voice called for me.

"Are you alive over there?"

"Yes, just open the door and come in," I replied, turning my chair, now sitting behind my desk.

I sat behind my desk but I was still looking out the window, now looking at the perfect, cloudless skies.

One of the handles turned and Val walked in. I glanced at her and said, "Take a seat anywhere."

Val laughed as she took a seat on one of the chairs on the other side of the desk. She looked around my office and smiled, "This is just like you. Dark wood shelves and desk. High ceiling and rose wood walls. Paintings from various moments in time adorning those walls. And two dogs, waiting near by. This room matches you, Nikki."

I smiled as I turned my head to look at her. "I know but why are you here, Val? I figured you would rather learn more about Mariemaia."

"I would but I wanted a chance to talk with you, Nikki," Val said, honesty in her voice, "Five years passed and not a single word. I've missed you."

"I missed you as well," I sighed, glancing at one of my rotweillers and signalling Dartanian to come to me, "But I couldn't go back."

"Why?"

"How could I stand in the guys' way of becoming who the are today? I wanted so much to go back but I was scared Val," I sighed, "I didn't want to be the one that holds them back so I left and never came back."

Val looked at me and said, "Nikki, Brian's been hurting since you left. He fucking goes to whores, groupies, and strippers when he wants to be around female company!"

I looked at her and simply asked, "How do you think I feel? Everytime I look at Mariemaia, I see Brian's eyes staring straight back at me. Do you have any idea how much that hurts?"

"Nikki, you and Brian belong with one another," Val simply said, "You need him and he needs you. And Mariemaia needs both of her parents in her life. At least talk with him"

"Fine," I muttered after a few moments of thinking.
♠ ♠ ♠
I might do another update soon. So be happy that I'm in a good mood.