Status: Paused

Baby Come On

Really?

"I can't believe this is. Actually," Leah grumbled as she stood, ignoring the hand offered by Alex. "I can. This is just my luck."

"Well I'm glad you have the luck you have," Alex said smirking.

"Look this wasn't the plan. You were supposed to come after I was gone." Leah crossed her arms and hung her head.

"Well I thought you were gone." Alex shoved his hands into his front pockets awkwardly. "I didn't know you were running late."

"You know I'm always running late, Alex."

The situation was awkward for both Alex and Leah. Alex was afraid he would mess up any chances he had with Leah. Leah was afraid Alex would spill his Leah-loving guts to her. So they spoke cautiously, analyzing every word in every sentence before they allowed it to escape their lips.

"I-I have to get to work." Leah cursed her nervous stuttering.

"When will you be back?" Alex questioned. When Leah gave him a suspecting look he explained, "So I know when I should leave. So this doesn't happen again."

Of course, Alex was hoping this would happen again. Maybe having Leah see him again would make her less apprehensive. Just maybe it would make it easier to let him back in. Alex searched Leah's eyes for any hope that what he was hoping could be true, but her brown orbs showed no such thing. Leah merely stared at Alex with warning eyes, cautious eyes, doubting eyes. Those eyes killed Alex.

Leah broke eye contact with Alex. She brushed Alex's shoulder as she walked passed him. Alex turned and waited for her answer.

"Be out of my apartment by five 'o clock," Leah shouted, not turning to look back at Alex; forcing herself not to look back at Alex.

After Leah was out of sight, Alex turned and rushed to her apartment. He knocked on the cruddy wooden door impatiently and listened for Nate. Alex, to his own dismay, did not hear the youthful voice of his son. He did however hear footsteps heading toward the door.

"Leah did you forget- Oh. Hello, Alex." Alex had never met Marie, but As soon as she opened the door, Alex could tell she really was Leah's sister. They resembled each other greatly, he decided. Marie and Leah had the same deep brown eyes, though Marie's were not worn with stress and worry as Leah's were. Marie had the same high cheekbones as her sister as well as Leah's delicate jaw. Marie's face glowed with a youthfulness that Leah no longer had, however. She didn't have the stress that Leah did.

After smiling politely at Marie, Alex tried to peer over her shoulder into the familiar apartment. Marie noticed Alex's anxiousness and with wide, realizing eyes she stepped aside to let him in. Alex stepped inside and swiveled his head in search of his son. When Nate was no where to be seen, Alex looked at Marie with questioning eyes.

"Nate's in Leah's room." Alex immediately started walking toward Leah's room, but Marie's next statement stopped him. "She doesn't want you in there Alex."

Alex stopped and turned to look at Marie. "Really?" he asked, his voice filled with hurt and confusion.

Marie nodded and left to get Nathan.

Alex immediately began pacing the living room. From the bedroom he could hear Marie talking quietly to Nathan. Unfortunately, he didn't hear any more than the mumbling of Marie's voice.

When Alex heard the door to Leah's bedroom open, his head snapped to the hallway. A wide grin spread across Alex's face as he saw the small figure of his son emerging from the bedroom. Nathan's brown hair was longer and Alex could tell his son had grown since he'd last seen him. When Nate saw Alex standing there his face held a smile as well. The next few minuets seemed to happen in slow motion.

The boy immediately ran toward him. Alex opened his arms and squatted down to Nate's level. Nathan raced into Alex's arms. Marie stood at the bedroom door and watched with a smile at the scene before her. Alex wrapped his arms tight around his son. Though his smile did not fade, Alex let a single tear escape his eye. He lifted the small boy off the ground and, if possible, squeezed the boy tighter. Nate giggled as Alex spun, causing Alex to laugh as well. Alex turned his head to lightly kiss his son's as he stopped spinning.

"Hey, buddy," Alex said pulling Nate away slightly to look at him. "I've missed you."

Nate reached up and wiped the solitary tear from Alex's cheek. "I missed you too," he replied in his exuberant voice.

The smile on Nate's face lifted Alex's spirits immediately. He was no longer worrying about his future with Leah. All that mattered right now was Nate. All that mattered right now was that Alex was with his son.

"I think it's okay for me to leave." Marie's voice interrupted the staring and smiling contest Nate and Alex were having.

"Okay. Thanks Marie." Alex said.

"Bye Auntie ReRe. Don't worry me and Daddy will have lots of fun!"

Marie gave a weary smile to Nate before blowing him a kiss and sending a nod to Alex. She headed toward the front door and exited quickly. As soon as the door shut, Nate and Alex turned to each other with smiles on each of their faces.

"So what are we doing today buddy?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?

If you haven't already, check out my new William Beckett story.
Now That I'm Grown, I've Seen Friendships Fall To Pieces