Seem to Stop My Breath

Oh, We're Still So Young, Desperate For Attention

Cassie’s Point of view

Gerard and I had been dating for over a year when I got the call. My parents wanted to meet him. I couldn’t blame them really; he’s all I ever talk about. But was he ready to meet them? I decided it would be better to talk to him in person about this. So, I headed for work an hour early hoping to talk to Gerard. When I walked in at the cute little bell above the door rang, Andy looked up from the counter. He spotted me and went back to whatever he was doing. I was at the counter when Gerard appeared from behind a book case. Without saying a word he came up and kissed me. He pulled away realizing something was wrong.
“What’s wrong?”
“My parents”
“What happened?”
“They want to meet you”
“Oh, you’re worried about that?”
“What’s there to worry about? Gerard is a perfect Gentleman, I should know” Andy added.
I shot Andy a mean glance and he just smiled and laughed it off. I’d never seen him in such a good mood.
“What’s with him” I asked motioning toward Andy.
“Honestly, I have no idea. He’s been like that all day.”
“Huh, but back to the matter at hand. My parents want to meet you this weekend? Do you want to go?”
“Why wouldn’t I?”
“They’re kinda strange”
“Cassie, I’m a vampire, I dress in all black, and I’m incredibly pale. Could they really be stranger than I am?
“Never though of it that way”
Gerard smiled and leaned in for another kiss. Unfortunate the stupid little bell above the door rang an all three of us looked toward the door. A girl I’d never seen before came in brushing the hair out of her eyes. I knew someone with that hair color, I just couldn’t figure out from where. She spotted Andy and screamed.
“ANDY!”
The mystery girl took off at a run toward Andy, who just had a mischievous grin on her face. She jumped and he caught her as she kissed him. He shifted her in his arms and set her down lightly on the counter. I admit he’s got talent; they didn’t even stop kissing the entire time. I looked at Gerard, who didn’t seem as confused as I was, but still looked confused. We stood there, staring, till they pulled apart. Andy seemed to suddenly realize that we were still there. He looked at us with an even bigger smile on his face and grabbed the girl’s left hand as she spun on the counter trying to see what he was looking at. On her left ring finger was a massive engagement ring. She looked at Gerard’s confused face and smiled.
“What? He left before I could say good morning!”
“Sweetie, Patrick was asleep outside your door this morning.”
“Oh, he was there when I woke up, but I didn’t think he spent the entire night.”
“Why would Patrick spend the night outside your door if you’re engaged to?” I was cut off before I could finish “He’s my brother.”
“Oh, so, wait, you’re Chrissy then?”
“Yep” she smiled, obviously still ecstatic that she was in Andy’s arms.
Gerard put his arms around my waist and looked at her.
“This is Cassie. She’s been informed”
“OH! Hi Cassie. Just so you know, Gerard never stops talking about you. Seriously though, you’re lucky to have someone like him.”
“Uh, thanks.”
Chrissy smiled and was again, distracted by Andy. Gerard led me out the door and to the nearest coffee shop packed with tourists, so we could talk. We sat down at a small table facing each other.
“So, where do your parents live?”
“About an hour and a half away from here.”
“Would we spend the entire day with them?”
“Probably”
“I can do that, just tell me when.”
“Okay”