Someday I will Understand

Chapter 86 pain is always so hurtful

The following day Kate and Gerard along with Sadie made the painful drive to New Jersey where they were going to see Frank and sit down and talk to him, the drive there was very quiet Kate didnt know what to say to Gerard as he didnt know what to say to Kate. Sadie slept peacefully in her capsule for the 25 min drive.

Pulling outside his parents house both got out of the car without saying a word to one another both were hurting to much to strike up a conversation, grabbing Sadie out of her capsule and with Gerard carrying her baby bag, both walked to the Way’s front door and knocked on the door.

Opening the door Donna saw two glum faces, but chose to ignore when she saw her beautiful granddaughter, picking her up out of Kate’s arms no one said a word, getting in to the lounge room Don (Gerard’s father) stood up and gushed over his beautiful granddaughter, taking her from Donna’s arms he cradled her in his Donna spoke

“What’s wrong with you too?”
Gerard and Kate didnt know what to say so Gerard handed his mother the letter that Kate had received the day before, after reading the letter tears started to fall from Donna’s eyes
“This cant be true she yelled..there has to be a mistake, this must be a mistake”
Gerard spoke up in a cold voice “It’s not...I have rung them and so has Kate, what it say’s is what it is”
Don had also read the letter and didnt want to believe it either “What are you going to do?” he asked
“We or I are going to see Frank...he has a right to know” Kate replied with no emotion

Gerard got up from where he was sitting and walked outside where he lit up a smoke, this was too much stress for him, he couldn’t believe this was happening to him the little girl that he had kissed good night every night wasnt his daughter..he just wanted to yell but nothing was coming out.
Kate got up from where she was sitting and went outside “We have to go...or do you want me to do it?”
Gerard didnt respond he was in his own world trying to block everything out, Kate walked off and went back inside where she grabbed Sadie out of Don’s arms “I’m sorry I have to go and see Frank...he’s expecting us” Kate replied
“Is Gerard not going with you?” Donna asked
“I don’t know Donna...he’s hurting like I am...but he wont talk...I don’t know what to do”
“You will get through this”
“That’s it I don’t think we can there has been so much already” Kate replied

Grabbing Gerard’s car keys she buckled Sadie in and drove the short way to Frank’s house, ringing the doorbell she waited for Frank to answer
“Hey Katie”
“Hey” Kate muffled
“Where’s Gerard?”
“He couldn’t make it”

Kate followed Frank into his house where he gestured for her to sit down “So what’s up?”
“Is Jamia not here?” Kate asked
“Nah she’s working”
“Oh...well the reason I came here was for this” Kate said handing over the piece of paper for Frank to read

Once Frank had read the letter he was speechless and could only mutter “Fuck”
“I’m sorry Frank...I don’t want to burden you, we just felt you had a right to know that Sadie is your daughter” Kate said
“Are you sure?”
“Yeh I rang Genelex yesterday and they told me the same thing...they explained it was a typo error...so I’m soo sorry that you haven’t been able to experience anything”
“Katie don’t apologise please...this isn’t your fault nor is it Gerard’s I know you guys must be really hurting...Can I please hold my daughter?”
“Of Course” Kate replied placing Sadie in Frank’s arms
Kate spent a while at Frank’s talking about Sadie, Frank told Kate he wasnt going to rush anything but he wanted to be on Sadie’s birth certificate and her surname change and that he wanted to be there 100% for both of them.

Kate agreed and advised that she would change Sadie’s name if he wanted but Frank said no that Sadie Elena was a beautiful name.
Frank and Kate decided to catch up tomorrow after he had told Jamia so that they could get everything worked out.

After leaving Frank’s Kate drove back to the Way residence where she saw that Mikey and Alicia’s car was there as well, letting herself in side she saw everyone around the kitchen table crying, but no Gerard.
Running over to Kate Mikey grabbed her arms and pulled her in to a tight embrace and whispered “I’m soo sorry”
Kate had been strong and intended to keep it that way she scanned the kitchen and lounge nd saw that Gerard was definitely not there “Where’s Gerard?”
Donna responded “he said he needed to get some air...he wanted to be by him self”
“Oh...” Kate replied

After having a quiet dinner Gerard still hadn’t returned Kate had decided to leave him be and hoped he would return later, Kate placed Sadie in the cradle that she had at the Way’s house and let her self in to Gerard’s room where she cried herself to sleep.

She hated the fact that everything was happening to her but she knew she had to be strong if not for her definitely for the sake of her daughter.