Wild Horses

Attack

Not too much time had passed since that day out in the field. It changed absolutely nothing about Zach and Treva's relationship, save for bringing them closer together. From then on, there was rarely a moment the two spent apart.

One warm late spring day, Treva had wanted to go into Billings just for something to do. So of course Zach went with her, riding along the dark shaded path in the forest. Once they had tethered up Twitch and Shadow in town, they slowly began walking down the main road.

Treva smiled as she looked through the glass windowpanes of various stores, her hand held securely in Zach's, fingers tightly laced. They talked about various things from time to time, talked about their future, made plans for weeks to come, but mostly they were comfortably silent with each other.

Suddenly Treva stopped, eyes gazing intently through the window of a dress shop. Zach hadn't realized until he felt a tug on his arm, pulling him back.

"What is it?" he quietly asked as he came to stand behind Treva. Smiling, she pointed up. There in the window was a beautiful white silk and lace dress, with a high lace collar and lace trimmings on the end of the sleeves. Both of them knew it had to be an expensive dress, possibly even imported from one of the east coast cities. But Treva was more interested in just looking at it, trying to imagine herself in it.

"It's beautiful," Treva whispered as Zach wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her body back into his as Treva placed her hands over his.

"I think you'd look beautiful in it," he whispered into her hair and Treva grinned. The only time she could see herself in such a dress would be if Zach asked for her hand in marriage. Which she hoped he did someday. Maybe even someday soon.

Suddenly the two lovers were pulled from their thoughts when they heard screaming off in the distance. They looked further down the street where they heard the commotion only to se people hurrying to run off or get inside the closest building they could find. Letting go of Treva's hand Zach took a few steps in that direction, his heart suddenly jumping into his throat. Further down, smoke was beginning to rise into the air, the sounds of screaming growing in volume and number. And as soon as he saw the lean figures, draped in animal hide, their dark skin glowing in the sun, he knew his fears had been confirmed.

Realizing they were heading in his direction, many on horseback, Zach turned and hurried back to Treva who looked thoroughly confused.

"What is it? What's going on?" Treva asked, voice raised in panic as Zach grabbed her hand and dragged her back the way they had come.

"Indians. Let's go," he said sharply and he and Treva hurried down the dirt road back to where the horses were tethered. To Zach, they couldn't move fast enough, and once he had mounted Shadow he looked back over his shoulder. It seemed that more Indians were pouring in by the minute, and some of them seemed to have taken notice of Zach and Treva.

"Go! Now!" he shouted as he turned to Treva, who was already on Twitch and waiting to go. Without another word Treva kicked Twitch into full speed, the horse's hooves pounding beneath her as she quickly found the trail leading back into the woods. Zach swiftly followed her, trying to get Shadow to speed up. If they didn't get out of there fast enough, Zach knew a handful of the savages would follow them, knowing that Zach and Treva would lead them to more people.

But hearing the pounding of hooves and the cries of the natives echoing behind him through the trees made Zach's heart beat faster. He swore. They were already being followed. There was little more he could do now than alert the others when he arrived back at the ranch.

As soon as his home was in sight, Zach dug his heels further into Shadow's sides, begging him to move faster. Quickly he dismounted once the black horse came to a stop, helping Treva to her feet before dragging her inside with him.

Maria and Clarisse were busy preparing the dinner for the night when the two entered. Maria's brow instantly furrowed when she saw the wide-eyed, panicked look on her son's face.

"Indians," Zach rushed out of his mouth. "They're attacking Billings. They're coming here. They followed us...I'm sorry."

Maria nodded, suddenly very serious. "The men are in the barn. Hurry and warn them and we might be able to stop this before too much damage is done," Maria said, her tone sharp and serious. Zach quickly nodded, turning to leave again. Treva grabbed his arm, going with him when he stopped and pushed her back.

"Stay here, you'll be safer," he said, holding her at arm's length. Treva opened her mouth to speak but was stopped as Zach quickly kissed her before running toward the barn.

His heart was beating wildly. Zach knew there was little time to spare--the Indians hadn't been too far behind. He burst through the barn doors noisily, getting the attention of his father, Brian, and John.

"Indians attacked Billings. They're on their way here," Zach gasped, nearly out of breath. Quickly all three men stopped what they were doing and got to their feet. Brian was the first to arm himself, grabbing a rifle down from the wall where a few were kept. As he walked by, leaving the barn, Zach could see the dark look in his eyes. This was revenge to Brian. It was his time to avenge the murder of his parents when he was only a boy.

As James and John grabbed the remaining three rifles, Zach's father also hooking a revolver into the waist of his trousers, Zach followed Brian who was already positioning himself, ready and waiting as he aimed for the path leading through the forest. Still without a weapon, Zach hurried back toward the house just as he heard firing behind him.

So it had begun. He knew this day would have to come sometime, he just couldn't imagine it coming to ruin everything that had become so perfect.

Treva was worried when she heard the gunshots in the distance, followed by the war cries of the savages, the pounding of hooves, and the whinnying of horses. She ran to Zach when he burst in through the door once more.

"Zach..." she said, but the serious look in his eyes deterred her from saying much more. Zach rushed to the back room, grabbing a rifle and a box of extra ammunition.

"Treva, you need to promise me that you'll stay inside. We're going to take care of this, and I don't want you getting hurt," Zach said as he turned to her, a wild look in his eyes. Treva could do nothing but nod before Zach pulled her to him and placed a searing kiss on her lips, quickly leaving once more.

It seemed like hours had passed when it had really only been minutes, the sounds of struggle raging outside as the men did their best to try and fight off the attack. Treva knew it was only because she felt to anxious about what was going on and what was going to happen. She felt so helpless standing with her mother and Maria in the kitchen. Maria was stood at the window, hand covering her mouth as she watched.

"I can't do this," Treva finally said, racing into the back room to grab her own rifle.

"Treva-" Clarisse said as she stood up from her place at the table, alarmed as Treva entered the kitchen again.

"I can't sit here, completely helpless. I'm going to fight." And before anyone could say another word, Treva stepped out onto the veranda. The sight nearly shocked her.

A corner of the barn was going up in flames as Zach's father raced inside, presumably to set the horses free into the pasture. Already there were dead bodies in the grass, thankfully all of darker skin.

Taking a deep breath Treva ran toward where Zach was, rifle raised as he tried to shoot while trying to dodge flying arrows at the same time. The closer she got, the better Treva could see that his left bicep was drenched in blood. Her heart pounded; Zach was hurt.

Raising the rifle from where she stood, Treva tried to steady her arm, pointing the barrel right at a native on horseback that was heading straight for Zach. Quickly she pulled the trigger, feeling the backlash, and the Indian fell to the ground, the horse slowing in confusion.

Startled, Zach turned, eyes wide as he saw Treva only a few yards away.

"I told you to stay inside!" he shouted at her, but Treva only shook her head.

"I want to help!"

"You're going to get yourself killed! There are too many of them!"

"And that's why you need me," Treva countered. Zach sighed and shook his head before racing to the horse barn. Treva quickly followed.

"Where's Brian?" she called out, realizing she hadn't seen him.

"Other side of the house, I think," Zach said, peering inside the barn to make sure the horses weren't inside. Turning, his gaze softened on Treva. "I appreciate that you're helping...but...please...go inside. For me."

"Zach...I...I feel so helpless, I can't sit there and do nothing," Treva answered curtly, turning on her heel and walking away. She needed to find Brian, to make sure he was okay. She hurried as much as she could, everything moving round her like a blur. It was all so sudden, hearing her name being called.

"Treva!" Zach shouted, and she could hear the panic in his voice. Turning, everything seemed to slow down for Treva. Racing toward her was a savage riding a valiant paint, bow and arrow raised, ready to strike. Her heart nearly stopped, arms shaking as she raised her rifle. Pulling the trigger she felt no backfire, but heard the deafening crack, and before her the paint careened, the Indian falling dead at her feet.

Farther away Zach looked stunned, eyes wide. He hadn't shot...he wasn't in range. And Treva shot a blank...

Looking over her shoulder as her heart pounded, Treva saw the wide-eyed, worried look of Brian, who was slowly lowering his rifle. He'd just saved her life. Treva slowly smiled, but it faded quickly when she saw a savage running on foot toward Brian from behind. Treva's voice stuck in her throat as she tried to scream, tried to warm him. But it was already too late.

The savage shot two arrows from the large bow he was carrying before Zach was able to take him down. The Indian was already dead before Brian even realized what had happened.

The expression drained from his face, his eyes glancing down as his body swayed. He collapsed down onto his knees before landing face down in the grass, the two arrows lodged deep in his back.

Treva's heart stopped once more, her mind stuck in disbelief.

"Brian!"