‹ Prequel: Milestones: Teenagers

Milestones: Commitment

Vows

"I feel like I'm gonna be sick," Michelle said, nearly gasping as she placed a hand over her stomach.

"You're not pregnant, are you?" Val chuckled as she helped straighten out the back of her sister's gown, looking in the three-way mirror and fixing her own plum gown afterward.

"No! Shut up," Michelle hissed, but a smile could be seen on her lips.

She and the bridesmaids were busy getting dressed, doing hair, and applying makeup in one of the extra rooms at the country club where the wedding and reception were being held. The dress rehearsal had gone so smoothly the night before, not a hitch in sight, but for some reason Michelle couldn't help but feel nervous to the point of nausea.

"Honey, everything is going to be fine," Debbie said with a smile as she stood behind her daughter in front of the mirror, hands on Michelle's arms. "Your father and I wouldn't have allowed this to happen if we didn't think you and Brian would be good for each other." Smiling, she hoped her words were comforting. "Today is going to be perfect. You'll look back on this day in the years to come and regret nothing. You're ready for this, and Brian is ready for this."

"Then why do I feel so nervous?" Michelle asked, feeling the tingle of tears beginning fo form in the corners of her eyes.

"Because you don't know what's going to happen from here on out. You have to worry about someone other than yourself for the rest of your life. It's like when you have children...except Brian's a big boy and you need to be his wife, and not his mother," Debbie said with a laugh, and suddenly the was a rap on the door.

Nick, the girls' father, poked his head in. "Everyone ready to go? We're about to start..." he said, his eyes finally settling on his daughter. "God, Michelle," he whispered, taking a step inside. "You look...so beautiful." Hugging her, he placed a kiss on her cheek. "Hey, what are the tears for?" he asked with a small smile, wiping them from Michelle's cheeks.

"Just nervous, Daddy," she answered, giving him a smile. "I'm ready."

In a matter of moments, Michelle was waiting behind the couples in front of her: Val and Jimmy, considering she was maid of honor and he the best man, Brianna and Matt, and Sarah and Zack. The doors leading out to the courtyard were about to open, beginning the ceremony and the procession down the aisle toward Brian.

Taking a few deep breaths, Michelle calmed herself, eyes falling shut as she heard the music begin, and knew that the couples in front of her were moving. Any minute now, it'd be her turn.

"You good to go, sweetheart?" Nick asked close to her ear, and Michelle smiled, opening her eyes with a nod. With one more deep breath, she and her father stepped forward, arms linked as she held her bouquet, and they made their way down the stone aisle.

Michelle swallowed hard when she looked up and could see the end of the aisle clearly, the priest standing in the middle and Brian waiting for her, hands clasped in front of him. Once their eyes met, it was all over. Michelle was overcome with emotions again, but this time completely happy, all traces of nerves leaving her.

She couldn't believe how handsome Brian looked up there, waiting for her. Sure, he was handsome to her all the time, there really wasn't much about Brian's looks that Michelle didn't like, but this was different. The only time she'd ever seen him dressed in a tuxedo was their senior prom, and that was a good two or three years before. And this time he looked much classier, with a deep plum vest and tie contrasting against the white shirt and black suit jacket.

Brian's thoughts were much the same as he watched his gorgeous bride walk toward him, escorted by his soon-to-be father-in-law. If he had to describe Michelle in that moment, he knew he wouldn't be able to, because he was rendered speechless. The dress she had on was beautiful, accenting her figure perfectly. He was looking forward to the rest of his life with her even more so now that he had seen Michelle after not doing so for little over a day.

Finally Michelle made it to the end of the aisle, her father giving her away before the priest and the guests, and it was time for the ceremony to begin.

Michelle could hardly breathe, let alone think straight as the priest began to talk, her hands tucked into Brian's and her eyes glued to his. Seeing the complete adoration in Brian's eyes only told her that what her mother had said earlier was true. This was right, and there was nothing about this day that she would ever regret.

It seemed like no time at all until it was time for the vows, and, like they planned, Brian went first, though what he said was never rehearsed.

"From the moment we met, I had a feeling there was something about you that was going to change my life forever. Looks like I was right," he said, lips parting in a smile as Michelle grinned. "Back then we were young and dumb and had no idea the trouble we were going to get ourselves in to. I just with it hadn't taken me quite so long to realize that...you were exactly what I wanted...what I needed this whole time. And it took losing you to realize that."

Pursing her lips, Michelle tried to push back the tears she could feel beginning to fall. Brian could feel the prickling in his own eyes, but continued.

"We've been through hell and back with each other, and I'd do it time and time again if it meant I got to have you in the end. Because...knowing that I have the rest of my life to look forward to, with you.... It doesn't get much better than that. I love you, so much Michelle."

Sniffling back her tears, Michelle had to pause for a moment to collect herself after hearing the words slip past Brian's lips. Taking a deep breath she let it out slowly, closing her eyes for only a second.

"I think we may still be young and dumb, you know," she said with a little chuckle, and Brian smiled once more. "But this moment right now, with you, feels more right than anything I've ever done. All of my decisions, my actions, and my choices have led me here. To you. And I would do all of them over again just to be standing here with you. Even the decisions that broke my heart...broke your heart.... Because I know that this is where it leads, and I wouldn't give this up for anything. The time we were apart made me completely miserable, and I'd even do that over again." Squeezing Brian's hands in hers, Michelle caught his smile before she continued.

"When we met, I honestly didn't think that we'd ever be in a relationship, let alone be getting married. But I'm glad that we are, because I don't think I could even picture myself with anyone else. I want you to be my first, my last, and my everything in between, til death do us part."

Smiling as she finished, Michelle giggled with Brian quickly kissed her knuckles. In a blur of tears the presentation of the rings had come and gone, and the moment both Brian and Michelle had been itching for the entire day had finally come.

"And so, with the power invested in me by God and the State of California, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Brian made no hesitation as he pulled Michelle to him, his hands dropping to her waist as his lips pressed firmly against hers. All around them clapping and cheering could be heard, and when Brian pulled away he placed his forehead against hers.

"I love you...Mrs. Haner," he whispered.

"I love you, too, Mr. Haner," she replied, kissing him gently on the lips once more before they parted, turning to their guests with beaming smiles.

It really was the first day of the rest of their lives.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only a few more to go :)
New layout! Much better than before...haha
The next Milestones can be reached for subscription purposes at the top of this page, in the sequel link thing...yeah lol
Updates for the rest of this story will occur on every MONDAY unless I post otherwise.
<3