Thank You, Gravity

I Need To Get Away

I don't want to think about Dad seeing someone after only a month, he can't be able to move on so fast. He had to be seeing this woman behind mom's back, to replace her, that's the only rational answer.

I walk past my friends and go towards Dad's room. He's in there alone, and seems to be in deep thought. I start to walk in, when someone, Joe, pulls me back.

"What are you doing? He could be with her!"

I just walk past him and into the room. There's no sight of any woman's things, not even mom's.

"Who was she?" I ask softly. He just gets up and walks towards the door, about to close it.

"Tell me!" I yelled. Dad reaches out and slaps me across the face.

"Don't yell at me, I'm your father. She is a friend and keep it at that. You don't need to know everything that happens in my life, like I don't need to know everything in your life." He said in a stern voice, and slams the door. I rub my cheek, just looking at it in shock.

He is extremely pissed and just walks out of the house. He's just like Joe, every time something goes wrong he goes out and gets drunk. When mom was around that would never happen. She was replaced by whoever the woman was and he doesn't care! He's going to be the reason that the family is torn apart for good.

--

"Excuse me, do you know where your father is?" A woman who looks to be in her late 20's; maybe early 30's, is at the door. She has brunette hair and I've seen her before, her name is Peyton. She works with Dad, I never really liked her. She was 27, way too young for dad.

"Nope, bye." I said quickly and shut the door. He's seeing some woman who's 4 years older than Kevin! I can't take any of this. First mom dies, then all the shit that's happened between Joe and I. Oh, and can't forget Dad's reaction when he found out about Joe and I's relationship that really made everything wonderful, and now Dad has a new girlfriend.

I really need to get away from all of this.

I stay downstairs until everyone finally leaves. I didn't want to be here at all, not with Joe or Dad or anyone else. I didn't know where I was going to go tonight, to leave with Joe or stay here. Right now I really just want to be alone so I can think.

“Nick,” I hear a voice and feel a hand on my shoulder. Sighing, I turn away from the counter and look at him.

“Joe, please, just….don‘t.” I look down, not meeting his gaze.

“Nick, come here,” he says softly, putting his fingers in my belt loops and pulling be towards him, looking at me. “I don’t want us to break up.” I shake my head and turn back to the counter, pushing the knife blade through the apple and plunging the knife into it violently. "Whatcha doin?" he asks childishly, resting his chin on my shoulder and wrapping his arms around my waist, just above the waistline of my jeans.

"Cutting an apple," I state, chopping it in half again, violently, and one piece of it goes zooming across the counter. His touch literally feels like it’s burning my skin. I hold my breath for a moment and let it out slowly.

“Nicky, are you mad?” he asks softly, running his hand over my stomach.

“Does Dad have any peanut butter?“ I ignore his question, shoving his hands off me and striding over to the fridge. He turns around and looks at me as I open the door, rummaging through things. He comes over to my side.

“Are you mad?” he asks again, putting his hand on my back. Burning, burning, burning.

“What do you think?” I ask fiercely. I push myself off the counter, spinning around with the knife still gripped in my. He looks at it, wide eyed, and I set it on the counter. “And why are you suddenly being all boyfriendy?” I stare at him.

“I don’t care about Dad anymore, Nick.” He puts his hands on my shoulders. “I never really wanted to break up with you anyway. Just…” his voice gets quieter and quieter.

“What? I’m your brother?” I state. Joe looks down and I move his hands off my shoulders. “Whatever,” I mumble. I look at him for another moment before I shake my head, walking past him.

“Nick, don’t be like this… at first it was weird, but I don’t really care anymore. And I don’t give a damn what Dad thinks anymore. I don’t even care about him anymore. We were fine before all this happened.”

“Yeah, well, it happened.” I state, opening a cabinet loudly, slamming a plate onto the counter. If it was a ceramic one I would have broken it. I dump the apple slices onto the plate. “I want peanut butter,” I mutter childishly, pouting down at the plate.

“We’ll buy some,” Joe says, wrapping his arms around me again. He taps a beat on my stomach lightly, making me shiver. I clear the fuzzy-brain feeling that’s starting to form in my head by shaking it, ignoring the thought that I really do want him back.

“You can’t fix every problem by seducing me,” I state.

“I’m not trying to.” Joe looks slightly hurt. I sigh, shake my head and push him off me again. He turns me around to face him. “Nick, please, I don’t want to break up with you,” Joe mutters quietly. I squint my eyes shut, then look at him again.

“I don’t want to either.”