How Dark Is the Night?

Til Death Do Us Part Two

I woke up in a sweat like this was all a bad dream. I kept seeing all of the events unfold in my mind that had happened earlier. Then I felt trouble. My heart started to race and I had trouble breathing. They had Pete and found how to get to me. Whoever had him was biting him; draining away his life and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

“No!” I screamed. Then I screamed again.

“What!” Kat said bursting in my room seeing tears in my eyes.

“They killed him. They killed Pete!” I said closing my eyes.

“How do you know?” She asked.

“Because I can feel him, and I can’t now. I felt his last breath. Where is Brendon?” I asked getting up out of bed and running down the hall and down the steps.
There was Brendon sitting on the couch. Then I realized Erelin was gone as well. I walked over to him.

“She’s gone. They killed her.” Brendon said sitting on the couch with his head in his hands.

“I know. Pete’s gone too.” I said trying to wipe away my tears.

“Brendon this is my fault.” I said.

“No it isn’t. You didn’t do anything wrong.” Brendon said grabbing my hand.

“It is me they want. They wanted to break me down and this is how to do it. I can’t afford to lose anyone else. I want to turn myself in. They should have just have taken me. Instead this is a sick game to this new vampire leader.” I said sitting down but not for long.

“You can’t go up against him alone. He will kill you too. You don’t have your slayer abilities nor do I have my vampire abilities.” Brendon said looking at me.

“Then you train Kat. But right now, I need to take a walk or go for a drive alone. Everyone handles grieve in their own way and I need to get out for awhile alone.” I said getting up and putting some shoes on I left by the fireplace.

“That isn’t a good idea. You should take Kat along.” Brendon said getting up and following me to the door.

“I have my stakes. I will be fine. I want to cry alone and you, I am sure, want to deface my property.” I said heading out the door.
My heart was breaking. I lose my lover, friend and husband. And I lost one of my best friends; Erelin. I can’t be there for Brendon right now. I want to but I just want to be alone. I really wanted to scream.

I drove up to Lookout Pointe and walked around seeing lots of cars full of teenagers making out tonight. If only they knew what dangers lurk at night? Then I stepped in front of the woods I feel so uneasy about. As I recall, not far past the woods was the mansion Dracula was hiding out in.

I didn’t really want to step foot in the woods in the dark but my instinct told me I should. I somehow made it out on the other side of the woods in the dark with only the moonlight to guide me. And it was a long way.

I found the road that led to the mansion and walked along it carefully. I had a stake out in my left hand. I made it to the mansion but stood out by the concrete wall that surrounds the house on the outside. I carefully peered out looking at the front of the house. I suddenly had an aching feeling in my stomach.

The house was dark now as it had been since we defeated Dracula. We all had went back to the mansion to check to make sure no one was there after everyone had settled back into their lives. But still even now with no lights on at the mansion I had an eerie feeling about it tonight. I glanced at my watch to see that it was ten thirty. I should be getting back. Before I turned to head back into the woods, I gave one more glance back at the mansion.

“I’m sorry, Pete, I couldn’t save you. It is my fault. Now, I’ve lost you for good and I have to live with that. It should have been me.” I said turning my wedding ring.

Then I walked back through the woods and back to my car. I headed home to find that Kat had gone up to her room and Brendon was passed out on the couch with a wine bottle in his hand.

I took the bottle out of his hand and covered him up. “Erelin, I love you.” He mumbled grabbing my free hand.

“She loves you too.” I said whispering in his ear. He smiled in his sleep.

I sat the wine bottle on the cabinet then went to my room. I called Bev and broke down. She said that she would tell everyone the news and we would go searching for them tomorrow to find the vampires who did this and their bodies. After I got off the phone, I laid back down and cried myself to sleep.

I awoke a few hours later to an odd feeling I had never felt before. I got up and opened the sliding doors in my bedroom. I walked outside and down the balcony steps to the pool area.

I looked over to see Brendon was still sleeping on the couch as I peered in through the windows. Nothing seemed out of place. I walked over to the side of the house to see the gate was open.

“Now how did that happen?” I asked aloud shutting it back.
I turned around and jumped. None other than Pete was standing in front of me. Every kind of emotion ran through me as I ran to him and hugged him.

“Pete, you are back. You aren’t dead.” I said not letting him go.