How Dark Is the Night?

Damages

Pete drove us to a spot where some new clubs and a restaurant opened up. There were tons of people out tonight. It was after eleven and the clubs were packed.

Pete asked me if I wanted to go in and check them out, maybe scope out some vampires while I was in there. I just told him no and that I would rather walk up and down the street, keeping people safe and checking any alley ways for vampires. I think he just wanted me to be happy.

“It was a nice small wedding, wasn’t it, Pete?” I asked.

“Yes it was.” Pete said smiling.

He held out his hand for me to take and I did. We slowly walked down the main street with the new clubs on the look out for any trouble. It was nice to feel close like this.

“Ours was nice too until the chaos started.” Pete said stopping me as we approached a closed for the evening shop.

“That it was.” I said smiling, remembering the vows we said. Pete backed me into the wall of the store and playfully started to kiss down my neck.

“Oh, Pete.” I said pulling away.

“What? Am I not allowed to make out with my wife in public?” He laughed as we held hands and proceeded to walk some more.

“Tell me something, Pete.” I replied with something on my mind.

“Ask away.” He said.

“What exactly do you think you felt earlier? It wasn’t a vampire because then I would have felt it but then again maybe I was off tonight.” I said.

“I wish you would drop it. I cannot explain what Erelin, Brendon, and I felt. It is just like there is a balance shift.” Pete said giving me a look to drop the subject for now.

“I don’t want to drop it. I am the slayer and I need to know these things to stop whatever evil comes our way.” I replied.

“Listen to me.” Pete said stopping me from walking.

“I don’t want to see you get hurt. I want you to leave at least until the baby is born. Then, maybe it will be safe for you.” Pete replied staring into my eyes with concern and his hands on my shoulders now.

“What? Where is this coming from? What you felt earlier has you worried, doesn’t it?” I asked.

“Amanda, I want you and Alex to be safe.” Pete said in all seriousness.

“I wish I could just pick up and leave but I can’t, Pete. I cannot be like my mom and vanish for nine months while her lover fights for her. I have friends who count on me; it is my job to protect them. I cannot sit by knowing what I know and not doing anything to stop it. I know you just want what is best for me.” I said kissing Pete on the cheek.

“I just don’t want to lose you again.” He said pulling me dangerously close to him.

“You won’t. I am a fighter. I think I have proved that many times. I will not give up without a fight. Whatever this new threat is that you feel, we can take it down together.” I said as he pulled me into a kiss.

“The thing that I am worried about is leaving Alex without a mother like my mother did me. I know my mom did not die because she wanted to but still I want Alex to have me in her life. I want to put a stop to Volkmar before I get any bigger. I do not think I could bare it if I died and she became a slayer later in life. I don’t want that for her. I have to finish this Pete. Now, do you see why I cannot leave?” I asked hoping he would understand my reasons.

“Amanda, I understand. I just want what is best for you and Alex. I want to protect you. You and Alex are my family. I can’t lose you.” He said holding me protectively.

“I know.” I said running my hands through his hair.

“Hey.” He said fixing it back to the way he had it causing me to laugh.

I felt several vampires come out of their hiding places. Pete pulled me behind him like an instinct even though I was perfectly capable of protecting myself. This new threat has Pete all worked up.

I looked around and saw people walking from club to club unaware that the vampires, mixed in around them. Two approached Pete and I and they yelled, “We found them!” Apparently, every vampire knows who I am in this city now.

“Be careful!” Pete yelled as more vampires approached.

“Always.” I said attacking the one who first saw me.

The vampire crowd narrowed down as we killed a bunch of them to two and I looked over to see Pete fighting them off. Something hit me. My slayer senses kicked into high gear. I started to feel what Pete, Erelin, and Brendon had felt earlier. Something was definitely off. It did not feel like a vampire. What was this threat?

Then, I felt drawn to the force I was feeling. It was like when Volkmar was calling me into the woods Halloween night. Something was pulling me down the street and into an alley.

I saw a figure standing with their back to me at the end as I turned into the alley. The feeling was stronger now I had but it was so different then a vampire feeling. I was drawn to this person. I could not move unless it was to keep approaching this figure. I wanted to run back the other way but I was powerless.

I finally stopped and as I was about to turn this person around as I was now behind them, a hand grabbed me and pulled me a safe distance back from the figure. I turned quickly to see that it was Pete. He caught up.

“This is a trap. What were you thinking?” Pete said keeping his eye on the figure.

“I couldn’t stop, Pete. I feel what you felt. I’m drawn to this person.” I replied turning around.

The figure laughed. I knew that laugh. It belonged to none other… no it cannot be! The laugh belonged to Kat! But how when I watched her die in my dream?

“Did you miss me?” I heard an evil snicker come out of her mouth.

Pete was standing in front of me now, shocked as he saw her turn around. Kat was now a vampire. I think I had it now. I’m drawn to her because she was a slayer and now she is a vampire. No! That means that she cannot be stopped I remembered, from what Dracula told me when he tried to make me his bride. Then it hit me. I felt her vampire presence. The first one was a warning that a balance had shifted meaning a slayer had been turned. Now I feel her as a vampire. But, she is good. I feel it. Why would she work for Volkmar if she was good?

“Kat, but how? I watched Volkmar kill you in my dream. I felt you die.” I said.

“Oh, yeah he turned me. You must have missed that memo. I can rule the world now.” She said quickly coming after us.

Kat was super fast. Her strength was powerful then mine now. She grabbed Pete who tried to fight her and flung him hard into the windshield of a car parked in the alley.

“Pete!” I yelled whipping out a stake from my back pocket.

“Your next.” Kat said.

“Kat, you don’t want to do this. Think about Micah. Where is he? I know you are good. I can feel it. You love Micah.” I said hoping to reach her. Maybe she was confused as Pete and Erelin were at first when they were turned.

“Micah.” She said softening up a bit.

“Kat come with me. We can help you.” I said lowering the hand with the stake in it.

“I don’t need your help!” She said lunging at me.

Kat was too quick for me and pinned me up against a wall in the alley. She held me up by neck. I was having trouble breathing and I tried to get her off me but she was too strong for me.

“Kat, don’t do this.” I barely got out.

“You, know, you are right. Tonight was a warning to let you know I am back. I will let you live just a little longer.” She said throwing me across the alley to the other side.

I hit my head but was more concerned with breathing. I touched my neck gasping for air. I looked back across the alley to find Kat gone.

“Pete!” I yelled remembering he was in a windshield of a car.

I got up and ran over to the car when I caught my breath. Pete was unconscious as I dragged him out of the windshield. He had many cuts and gashes on his face, shoulders, chest, and arms. There was glass embedded in him.

“Pete, talk to me.” I said slapping his cheeks to wake him up.

He aroused but was in pain. I pulled one arm of his over my shoulder and wrapped it around me trying to help carry him to the car. I made it somehow, back to the car and placed him inside.

“Stay with me, Pete.” I said frantically driving home to Patrick’s.