How Dark Is the Night?

Drowning

I am not going to lie. My leg hurt like no other. I may heal faster than humans but not that fast.

I tried to get up again but this time as I did, Volkmar grabbed me after he had shoved Kat to the floor. He grabbed me by the neck and lifted me up, as I hated him doing. He got everyone’s attention somehow because as I was struggling to break free from his grasp, I saw that my friends and his goons stopped fighting. I think fear overtook my friends’ ability to move. At the corner of my eye, however, I thought I saw Pete slouched against the stairwell to the balcony of the ballroom.

“I would like to have everyone’s attention. This slayer is about to face her death. I am sick of her games as I am sick of her friends.” Volkmar said as his army laughed.

“Once she is gone, her friends will eventually quit and give up.” Volkmar said.

“They won’t quit. If you kill me, Kat is still going to kick your ass. Did you forget that she is a slayer too?” I managed to get out as Volkmar was choking me.

“You silly girl, you may have turned her back against me, but she is no match for me. See, I am using my powers now to keep everyone from moving in this room. And I can make Kat watch her boyfriend die too.” He said grinning at Kat who was speechless.

“What are you going to do, bite me? Sorry, been there, done that, moved on. I think I have already died once, maybe twice. Third time is the charm you know. Maybe I will come back and kick your ass so hard you will beg me to kill you.” I said trying to pry his hands off my neck.

“Enough, talk. Goodbye.” Volkmar said throwing me with his strength.

I heard a, “No!” from Pete, as Volkmar had thrown me so hard and far that I busted through a ballroom glass window and landed in the swimming pool outside, just like Erelin’s dream.

The water of the pool was cold and murky. I sank to the bottom. I normally am a good swimmer but as I tried to swim, my leg kept me from doing so. I tried to focus away from the excruciating pain but it was no use.

My lungs hurt from holding my breath too long as I was unable to breathe any air. Everything was happening so fast and quickly. I knew I had lost this time. I could not fight anymore. I could not hold my breath any longer and the intake of water occurred. I was drowning.

I started to see darkness all around me and shut my eyes. I was losing conciousness and giving in to it. “I am so sorry, Alexandra.” I thought. The last thing I remember before fading out was feeling two arms grab me and pull me to the light.