How Dark Is the Night?

Alexandra Wentz

(April 2007)
Well, the time finally came. It was now April of the next year and I had tried to put everything behind me. Bev was due in June to have her baby boy. She and Joe were going to name him Christopher Dean but call him Dean for short. Bev was always a big Dean Cain Superman fan.

Erelin was pregnant with twins, a boy and a girl. We found out that they were conceived on the night of our Thanksgiving get-together last year. Her and Brendon were going to name them Nathaniel and Kayla. She was not due though until the end of July.

Sam and Patrick found out in February that they were going to have a baby. They just found out recently that it is going to be a boy. I think they were planning to name him Bailey James. He is due in October.

Kat moved with Micah to Ohio somewhere and I have not heard from them since. I do know that they were happy. Maybe they will have some kids of their own someday.

Last was Chrissy and Andy. Chrissy became pregnant last month. Andy is estatic but Chrissy is so so on the whole baby deal. At least she gets Andy to wait on her hand and foot for everything. I know it makes her happy when she gets him to make a Chipotle run. They have to wait another month before they know the sex of the baby.

As for me, as I said, I have been trying to move on from my experiences. I have been having nightmares here and there but I think it is just because part of me is still, traumatized by everything that happened last year. On top of that, I have another month before Alexandra is due. Wait, maybe she has decided to come early.

“Pete?” Peter!” I yelled upstairs as I was packing a bag to have ready for when I went into the hospital.

“Yeah, babe.” Pete said running up the stairs.

“I think its time.” I said bending over in pain from contractions.

“It’s time?” He asked.

“Yes!” I said smiling but in pain. “Our daughter wants to come early.” I said.

Pete grabbed me and carried me to the car. Then he ran and got my bag of clothes and took me to the hospital. The doctors and nurses took me right in and ran all their tests to make sure Alex was all right.

“My, she is a feisty one. I think you are going to have a fighter on your hands.” The doctor said.

“I hope so.” I said smiling as Pete held my hand.

They wheeled me into the delivery room finally and began prepping things. Pete quickly stepped outside, and called everyone in a fast manner and then came back in to watch the birth of our daughter. It was amazing.

Alexandra weighed eight pounds, eight ounces just like me when I was born. She was so precious looking. All I could do was think of how she was conceived out of love.

I held her and sang to her once they brought me back into my room and cleaned up. I was only allowed one visitor at a time but Pete let everyone in to see our bundle of joy.

“She is so adorable!” Bev exclaimed when she walked into the room and saw Pete holding Alex.

“Wait right there, I have to take a pic for you all.” She said whipping out her camera.

“Can I hold her?” Erelin asked Pete.

“I don’t know if you can pry her away from her daddy.” I said laughing.

“So how are you holding up?” Brendon asked me.

“I think I am doing ok. I wanted to hurt Pete at first in the delivery room but I am beyond that.” I said laughing with Brendon laughing too.

“Laugh it up now because when Erelin has the twins, oh you are in so much trouble.” Pete said as he handed over Alex.

“That’s right honey. Everything becomes your fault when I am in pain.” Erelin said as she sat in the rocker.

“I’m just tired, Brendon. I’m glad it is over.” I said sighing.

“Well, I think she looks like you. She is going to make any boy go crazy after her.” Brendon replied.

“I love how she has green eyes. I have blue and Pete has brown.” I said.

“Yeah, but your mother had green eyes.” Brendon said.

“Hey everyone get a load out of this. Nate is kicking. Here, Brendon take Alexandra.” Erelin said.

Brendon walked over and took Alexandra from Erelin’s arms. She then started to rub her tummy and talk to Nate. I looked over at Brendon and knew he would be an excellent father to his twins as I watched him sing to Alex. She fell right asleep in his arms.

“Wow, the moment you took Alex, Nate quit kicking.” Erelin said.

“I see a soccer star maybe in the near future?” Pete laughed.

Everyone took turns holding Alexandra and visiting with me until the nurses finally said I needed my rest. Erelin was the last one to leave my room, which made Alexandra start to cry as soon as she left which was very odd. Pete put her in my arms and we sat there on my bed, the three of us a new family. I sang Alexandra to sleep which also put Pete to sleep. I just smiled and waited for the nurses to come and take Alex back to the nursery. I think I was going to like being a mom.