How Dark Is the Night?

Like Vines We Intertwine

(Pete’s POV)
I heard a knock on the door. I thought it was Amanda coming back up to finish our argument but instead when I opened the door I found Patrick. He must have been the one Amanda ran down to see who was at the door for.

“So I hear that you went through an ordeal.” Patrick said walking into my bedroom. “Oh and here by the way.” He said handing me a brown bag.

“What is this?” I asked peering in the bag. “Blood? How did you know I was getting hungry?” Pete asked.

“It was a lucky guess and it is a good thing I brought you some because you almost hurt Amanda again. That is twice you have bit her between today and what Joe told me this morning about what happened last night. Pete, you need to pull yourself together. You have a child on the way. I know this is different for you then last time but you need to focus. Do you really want to lose Amanda out of your life for good?” He said as I started to drink out of the container from the bag.

“No, I don’t. That is why I need to stay with you and Sam again. I need to move back into my old room. I don’t trust myself to be around Amanda here. I want to protect her and I love her but I don’t know. I’m going through something right now I can’t explain. I am trying to fight these urges and it is hard. I am strong from being a vampire but I am weak when it comes to being human. I gave that up and I am paying for it. Patrick I had so many emotions and thoughts in my head. I just thought that maybe I would be good again and I could better protect Amanda but all I am doing is making things worse.” I said sitting down on the bed.

“Pete, you and Amanda have been through so much this year. If you don’t try to fight the vampire in you and be a husband as well, I am afraid you are going to lose everyone you care about. Amanda didn’t want to tell you she was pregnant, Pete. That says something. The way you acted towards her earlier made her think you don’t love her or want to be around her. How do you think she feels right now? Be in her shoes for once instead of thinking about yourself. She felt you die then you magically appear as a vampire like a few hours later. How do you think she reacts to that? With the stress of finding out she is pregnant it adds to her emotions, Pete. Amanda loves you no matter what. Don’t push her out of your life and don’t bite her again. Don’t make me have to kick your ass.” Patrick said sitting on the bed.

“Wow. You think you can kick my ass now, huh?” I said laughing.

“Well, I can try.” He said laughing.

“I still need to live in my old room, Patrick. I can train there.” I said.

“I don’t think you should but you are my friend so I guess you can stay with me and Sam. However you need to work things out with Amanda for the sake of the baby.” Patrick said.

“Agreed. There is one thing I need your help on, though.” I replied.

“Oh, and that would be?” He asked looking at me.

“How can I convince Amanda not to fight? I mean she isn’t the slayer anymore. She’s not that tough as she thinks she is. I don’t want to see her get hurt. I know she has to train Kat but with this baby it makes me worried. She is so stubborn.” I said turning off the tv.

“Well if she is stubborn and you are stubborn then the baby doesn’t have a chance at being normal.” Patrick said joking.

“Hey!” I said throwing a pillow at him.

“I tried to convince her but she won’t listen to me either, Pete. Since you are bent on protecting her just do it and don’t let her out of your sight.” Patrick said.

“Boys, what are you two up to?” Amanda asked barging in the room with Sam in tow. I saw Kat head off into her room maybe to change.

“Oh, the usual.” Patrick replied getting up off the bed. “You know, we are going to wait downstairs for the others to arrive. Come on honey.” Patrick said grabbing Sam’s arm.

“Hey, I just got here.” She said pouting. “Oh, alright I will go. Why do you always have to ruin my fun?” She said heading out of the room with Patrick.

“Because Pete and Amanda need some quiet time.” He said pulling the door to as he left. Amanda and I chuckled at them.

“So, Patrick brought you some dinner too?” Amanda asked trying to make conversation.

“Yeah.” I replied.

“I think they are trying to fatten me up with the baby and all.” She said laughing.

“Is it true you weren’t going to tell me about the baby if you found out you were pregnant?” I asked point blank.

“Patrick told you huh?” Amanda replied. “I don’t know where I stand with you right now. I thought we made up earlier but you started to bite me so the only option I had was to tell you as you bit me so you wouldn’t harm me or the baby. I wasn’t going to tell you yet. I wanted to see how things went between us. I didn’t want you pushing me away and I was afraid. Truthfully I am afraid now a little bit of you. I never was before but you are different than you were before, Pete. I see it in your eyes. They change. You let the vampire in you take over. Do I want you like that around me and the baby? I love you with all my heart but is my love strong enough to help you now that you have changed?” She said sitting in front of me on the bed.

“Amanda, I am truly sorry for earlier. I will try to be me. I can’t explain it but I feel different than when I was a vampire under Dracula. It is harder for me to fight the urges but I am trying. I don’t want to hurt you or the baby. But I do want to protect you. It is best if I live with Sam and Patrick so that I am not in the way here and I can control myself better plus I can train there. I love you and will be around. I just don’t want to live here as I am now.” I said grabbing Amanda’s hand and holding it.

“If you think it is best I guess I have to let you go stay there. Oh Pete, what did that monster do to you?” She said touching my neck where my scar is from the bite wound. I shut my eyes for a second.

“I miss your heartbeat already.” Amanda said moving her hand down to my chest.

“I miss it too. I’m not human without it.” I said gazing into her eyes.

“Don’t say that.” She said leaning in close to me.

I finally pulled her close and kissed her. Then I worked my way to her neck. I whispered in her ear, “I forgive you for not wanting to tell me about the baby if you can forgive me.”

“Of course I forgive you. I love you.” She said taking off my shirt for round two.

We started making out and got a little hot and heavy again. I pulled her over on the bed where I could be above her. I started to have the urges to bite her but not only that to make her mine as a vampire. I could feel the change try to come over me as I fought it. I held Amanda’s arms down on the bed with my fangs sliding out.

Then Amanda fought me off and pulled me down into a long passionate kiss snapping me out of my daze. How did she fight me off? I am stronger than her.

“Remember me?” She said breathing into my ear driving me crazy. I pushed the urges away somehow with her help. All I wanted to do now was show her how much I love her. I now wanted her touch. I craved it and I craved making love to her as we should have been doing all along on our honeymoon.