How Dark Is the Night?

The Fabulous Lives We Lead

Kat found us and that was our ticket to leave. Pete and I had killed off ten more vampires bringing my count to seven and him five. I laughed.

“You are slacking dear.” I said pulling him close and kissing him. Then I whispered in his ear, “What are you going to do about it?” Then I nibbled on his right ear.

“Ok, just eww.” Kat said climbing in the car.

I smiled at Pete as he called everyone else to see where or how they were doing. I didn’t want to drop him off at Patrick’s. I wanted him to stay with me. This was going to be hard not having my husband to wake up to.

“Apparently everyone patrolled and came up empty so they all headed to the diner. Erelin and Brendon did kill two vampires so at least she is testing out her new skills.” Pete said as we got into the car.

“I wish you would stay.” I said turning on the car and driving away.

“So how was your patrol?” Pete said to Kat who seemed lost in thought.

“Huh? Oh, it went ok. It was quite slow out.” She said. “I only killed two vampires.” Kat added.

“Really?” I asked.

“I killed seven.” I said rubbing it in Pete’s face.

“Oh, you think you are the slayer, big and bad?” Pete said rolling his eyes.

“Slayer.” Kat said in the back then looking away from me as I saw her in my rearview mirror.

I could tell she was bothered by something.

“Kat is everything alright?” I asked.

“Yeah, everything is fine and just peachy.” She said.

Ok, something was definitely up. I said that once to Patrick when everything was falling apart once. But if she doesn’t want to tell me, hopefully she will when she is ready. I can’t force her to tell me what’s wrong.

I made it to Patrick’s house and watched Pete get out of the car. He opened my trunk with his key carefully taking his bag out then shutting the trunk back. I got out of the car.

“Do you have to leave?” I asked him again.

“Amanda, you know I have to do this.” Pete said.

“Please don’t. I need to wake up and know you will be there. I need to know you are there for us.” I said grabbing his right hand and placing it on my tummy.

“I am always here for you and Alex.” He said smiling.

“I know but…” I said.

“No buts. I need to find some food before the sun comes up soon. I hope Patrick supplied his place once he knew I was a vampire again. After I do that, I am going to bed. You get some sleep so you can train Kat in the morning. I will see you then.” Pete said pulling me close in the chilly air. “I love you.” He said before he kissed me goodnight.

I climbed back into my car and went home. Once home, Kat went to her room and I went for a swim. I needed to clear my head. And then it hit me.

“Kat, grab some clothes!” I said once I dried off enough from the pool and banged on her door. I ran into my room and packed a to go bag.

“Why?” She said sleepily and opening her door.

“We are going over to Patrick’s.” I said.

“What?” Why?” She asked.

“Just do it. I am not waking up with out my husband and you can sleep in the guest room there. Plus it will be easier to train that way for in the morning.” I said shutting my door to change out of my bathing suit.

“Won’t Patrick get mad?” Kat yelled through the door.

“No. I will leave him a note.” I said.

After we were ready, I grabbed my bag and we headed to the car. I was so anxious to get to Patrick’s. It was going to be like old times. Pete won’t know what hit him.