How Dark Is the Night?

Postcards From The Edge

(Pete’s POV)
After Amanda and I had our fun we laid on the bed on our sides staring at each other. She looked so beautiful and I was glad she was here. We needed to catch up and push our problems aside for awhile.

I placed my right hand on Amanda’s stomach again. I can’t believe I am going to be a dad. I just wish Amanda wouldn’t fight. She is so stubborn.

“What is it?” She asked confused.

“Nothing, it’s just that I am going to be a dad. I never thought I would be.” I said smiling.

“You are going to be an amazing dad. Alex will be lucky to have you as their father. Look at all the amazing bed time stories you can tell he or she.” She said laughing.

“Yeah, but you will be there too. I’m sure Alex will want to know all about their strong, stubborn, smart, beautiful, and caring mother.” I said trying to re encourage her that she will be there too. I have to make sure nothing happens to Amanda or my child.

“I hope. Nine months is a long time.” She said sighing. “I only hope we can defeat our enemy soon and that it is not dragged out like the Dracula situation was.” Amanda said rolling over and laying on my shoulder now.

“You need your rest. You must train Kat in four hours.” I said kissing her forehead and playing with her hair.

“I know but I don’t want to fall asleep. Is it wrong of me to want to watch you all night and know you are safe with me? That you are here with me now? That monster can’t hurt us right now. You know how to make me smile.” She said sitting up and leaning over to face me now.

“Maybe you can temporarily move in here.” I said laughing.

“I might tell Patrick and Sam that I am here to stay all thanks to you.” She said kissing me.

“Hmm, will you now?” I said returning her kiss.

“Yes.” She said back.

“I love you.” I said.

“I love you too.” She said yawning.

“See the baby is telling you that you need to rest.” I said grinning.

“Right. It isn’t big enough. I am only a few weeks.” She said rolling her eyes but lying back down with her head on my shoulder and her arm wrapped around me.

“Good night, Pete.” She said closing her eyes and yawning again.

“Good night.” I told her. I listened to her breathe and I could hear how her heart rate changed as she fell asleep finally. Maybe now even if it is for four hours, Amanda will have some peace and the best sleep for awhile. I then drifted off to sleep.

I woke up though to see Amanda still sleeping but the clock now said it was six am. I didn’t want to wake Amanda up yet even though I know she needed to be up for Kat. She was lying on her side facing the dresser. She looked so peaceful. Then I realized that I had a very quick sleep. It didn’t seem like I had slept for four hours. I went to turn towards my wall with the window to get out of the bed but stopped for I saw none other than an old enemy staring at me from my window.

“Hello, old friend.” William Beckett said.