How Dark Is the Night?

The Charm

(Brendon’s POV)
“Sit!” I said putting Amanda down.

Surprisingly, she sat down on the bed but looked annoyed. That was good because I was tired of her attitude and she was going to tell me what is going on. Amanda seems to have lost it.

“Brendon, I want to kill him.” Amanda finally spoke after a few seconds of silence.

“Who, Pete?” I asked a little shocked.

“No,Volkmar.” She said giving me a look. “I want to crush him. I want to hurt him really bad. He wanted to rip my life apart and I want to do the same to him.” She said.

“I think he has already gotten to you because you have let him.” I replied leaning on the dresser.

“What? He has taken everything away from me.” She said.

“Not everything. You have us, your friends who will be with you no matter what. But you seemed to have lost it and in the process have hurt us all. Amanda, we get that something happened but your attitude is going to slowly drive us away if you keep it up. That is not Volkmar tearing us away from you, but you doing that.” I said.

Amanda looked down and just sat there in silence. “Amanda, talk to me. If you aren’t ready to then I will be here when you are ready to explain what is going on. I won’t leave your side all day. You have been there for me so many times that it is my time to take care of you.” I said as I sat on the bed beside her.

Amanda looked at me and I noticed a gash above her left eye that had a nasty bruise and some dirt around it. I got up and told her, “Please sit here. I will be right back.” I went to go get a warm washcloth to wash away the dried blood and clean up the wound above her eye.

I came back to see that she was still sitting on the bed. She looked at me with hurt eyes. I think she wants to talk about what is going on but doesn’t know how. She is feeling so many emotions that she is hiding everything by putting up a wall and trying to act like she doesn’t care about anything.

“What’s this for?” She asked as I sat on the bed.

“I got this to clean up the nasty gash above your eye.” I said wiping off the dirt and dried blood as gently as I could. Amanda sort of pulled back a bit.

“You know that will heal soon…but thanks.” She said smiling just a bit.

“So are you ready to talk to me now?” I asked.

She nodded her head and sighed. “You have a way with getting me to talk and I don’t like it. Stop using that charm on me.” She said laughing slightly.

“What can I say? It drives all the girls wild.” I said laughing.

“Um, you are a married man now so you might not want to let Erelin catch you saying that.” She said laughing.

“Hey, she is the only one for me. But she fell for my charm.” I said.

“Right. Keep dreaming.” Amanda said rolling her eyes. Then she looked down again in sadness.

“Where do I begin?” Amanda said going back to her problems.

“Just tell me everything that made you snap into blowing up Volkmar’s mansion.” I said putting my arm around her shoulder.

“You already know about Pete’s dreams from when I told you in the hospital. Well, last night he carried me into the bedroom because I fell asleep in the guest bedroom from us fighting all day. He didn’t want me to be released just yet. He told me that I would be safer in the hospital then here at home. So we fought. Anyways, after he carried me into the room I was sucked into his dream again and then I had a dream of my own which scared me more. I dreamed he wasn’t with me.” She said with sadness in her eyes.

“I woke up to find Pete up and packing. I told him not to leave me. He told me he wanted a divorce and that it was best if he stayed away. He didn’t want to hurt me or the baby. He believes that Beckett meant it was him that will hurt me and therefore took off. Brendon, I am telling you now that I know it is not Pete who will hurt me. I don’t know who will turn on me but it isn’t Pete. I couldn’t make him see that. What kind of wife am I to let him go?” She said getting up.

I turned to see her walk over to the window with glass laying on the floor. Her wedding picture was on the nightstand without its frame. I realized she had gotten so mad that she tossed it at the window apparently as Pete left.

“Amanda, we will get Pete back. He will come back.” I said getting up and walking over to her. She turned and I held her as she cried.

After a few minutes she pulled away and started to wipe her eyes. Then, she sat back down on the bed. I sat beside her waiting for her to tell me what happened next.

“I got so mad that I decided to train and to blow up the mansion. I know I am not supposed to train again at least for a few days but I couldn’t help it. I felt nothing but revenge. Pete was gone and I felt with that I had lost everything.” She said looking at me in all seriousness.

“I trained and it hurt like no other for awhile but then my body got used to the pain to where I don’t feel it anymore. I took off and bought me a gas can, filled it up and bought a lighter and that was that. I hid in the woods and watched the fire department and police show up.” She said starting to smile like she was proud of herself.

“It was all over the news. The blast was so big campers had seen the blaze and called it in. Amanda, you are lucky to be alive.” I said.

“I gave those vampires a warning that got out to tell their boss that I was back with a vengenance. Maybe it wasn’t the smart thing to do but as I said I want to make him pay. I got out by hopping through the ballroom windows, hence the cut that is now gone on my eye.” She said looking in the mirror.

“I am worried about Kat. Maybe now, Volkmar won’t mess with her. He will know that I am the one to deal with in this town. Volkmar wants her Brendon and we need to protect her. She is a young slayer and hasn’t dealt with everything that we’ve had to deal with. I just wish Kat would get off my back about being the slayer again. I only want to help her and make her a stronger slayer. Why can’t she see that?” Amanda asked.

“I don’t know.” I said shaking my head. “Why don’t you ask Nick?” I said.

“How would I do that?” I asked.

“Think about him when you fall asleep. Maybe he will come to you. He is Kat’s cousin after all isn’t he?” I asked.

“Yes he is.” She replied. “I guess it doesn’t hurt to try.” She added.

“Are you still wanting to put up a wall?” I asked.

“No. I feel little better. But it still doesn’t bring Pete back. I guess I should apologize to everyone. I did feel good for awhile though. You should have seen the explosion Brendon. It was awesome!” She said. I just shook my head.

“You surprise me everyday.” I told her.

“I can’t always be strong. I try to be for everyone but when it comes down to myself I put up that wall sometimes and don’t let anyone in. I feel safer that way. If I lock up my heart and feelings then I don’t get hurt again.” Amanda said.

“Here.” I said handing her my phone.

“What’s this for?” She asked.

“Call Pete’s cell.” I replied.

I watched her dial Pete’s number. She let it ring for a good few minutes until it kicked her off. Apparently he turned his voicemail off. Amanda turned to me and handed me back my phone.

“He doesn’t care.” She said walking over to the window and raising the blinds to look out.

“Here. Call the one person you know he would turn to.” I said handing her back my phone. She looked at me then took it back.

“Brendon, you are so smart!” She said throwing her arms around me and hugging me tight.

“I can’t breathe! Too much slayer strength.” I said gasping for air as she let go.

“Oh, sorry.” She said apologetically.

“It’s ok, just dial the number.” I said.

“The one person he would go to besides me is his mom.” Amanda said dialing her mother-in-law’s number.

“Let’s hope this works.” I said.