How Dark Is the Night?

Mother Knows Best

(Pete’s POV)
I arrived at the one place I knew I could always come home to and that was my parents’ place. I was back in Chicago where I could clear my head and get advice from the one person I could always count on and that was my mother. I knew she would let me stay here for awhile in my old room at least until I could figure out where I wanted to go next.

As soon as my flight touched down I bought a blanket out of the airport gift shop and called a taxi. I threw the blanket over me and told the driver not to ask any questions. He drove me to my parent’s house and I called my mom and woke her up explaining I was visiting for awhile without revealing the true reason I was here. When I arrived she answered the door and I jumped in the house quickly to avoid any more of the sun.

“Pete.” Mom said giving me a hug.

“Mom.” I said hugging her back.

“Amanda isn’t with you?” Mom asked.

“No, she’s back in L.A. She couldn’t make it.” I said grabbing my bags and heading upstairs.

Like a good mom she followed me up to my room where I collapsed on one of the beds. I wasn’t really in the mood to talk this early in the morning. I knew she knew something was up.

“So how is Amanda doing, Pete? Is the baby alright?” Mom said sitting on my bed.

“The baby is fine.” I replied.

“But you aren’t. I’m a mom. I know these things. Did you have a fight with Amanda?” She asked.

“What? No.” I said lying.

“Pete, now I know you are lying to me.” She said.

She had me. The only thing I could do was to tell her the truth. I had to tell her everything that was bothering me and how I have messed up with Amanda.

After I told her everything, my sidekick went off. I looked to see who was calling. It was Amanda. I just let it ring then cut it off before the voicemail could kick on.

“That was Amanda, wasn’t it?” Mom said. “Pete, you need to talk to her. I am sure she didn’t mean what she said. She was just angry. I mean how do you think she would react when you told her you wanted a divorce?” Mom said trying to reason with me.

After she said that, the house phone went off. “Don’t get that!” I said.

“Pete, if it is Amanda, I am going to talk to her.” She said getting up and heading towards her bedroom to get the cordless phone.

“Fine, but don’t tell her I am here just yet. Please, mom.” I said pleading.

“This once, I won’t but you need to talk to her.” She said.

I listened intently as she picked the phone and started talking to Amanda.

“Hi, honey. How are you doing?” Mom said.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Have I seen Pete?” She said. “No. Is everything alright?” Mom said to whatever Amanda had said while staring me down.

“Listen, Pete will come around. Whatever you two were arguing about, I am sure he didn’t mean what he said. But if I hear from him or see him I will be sure to pass on the message that you want to talk to him. And I will tell him that you love him.” She added shaking her head at me.

“Take care of my grandchild. Bye.” Mom said hanging up.

“Well, that went well.” I said.

“So you want to tell me all about the part that she is the slayer again and you aren’t there protecting her?” Mom said a little mad.

“Oops. I left that part out didn’t I?” I said realizing that I only told Mom that I left because of my dreams. Apparently, Amanda told her more then just about our fight.

“You might want to start explaining things from the beginning. I want to know my grandchild and daughter-in-law are going to be safe. Pete, family is more important. You can’t keep running from your problems. Didn’t you learn that from before? Amanda needs you.” Mom said as she headed downstairs to the kitchen. Dad was at work.

“Mom, things are complicated right now. I don’t want my dreams to come true. How would you react to me if I did kill Amanda? I can’t always control this thing inside me. I am so afraid that you have no idea.” I said so worried as I followed her.

I told Mom everything that has happened in the last few days. She didn’t like the fact that Amanda had almost died. I know Mom is just worried about us and wants to see us safe and sound.

“Pete, you know I am always here for you. I tell you what. I will give you a few days to clear your mind and figure things out. After that, you will call Amanda or go home to L.A. Otherwise, I will call her myself and tell her where you are.” She said in all seriousness.

“Deal.” I said.

My heart hurt. Sometimes I thought I could feel it beating but that is impossible. My heart is dead for I am dead.

I sat at the kitchen table and closed my eyes. I somehow tapped into Amanda’s emotions. I hurt her really good but something else was clouding her thoughts. All I could feel besides her pain of losing me was revenge. With revenge, this couldn’t be a good thing.