How Dark Is the Night?

What I Want Is You

I looked around quickly to see that Nick had vanished. He was gone and now I understood. He knew what had happened between me and Pete and wanted us to work out our differences or at least try to through a dream since we couldn’t in person.

I smiled and whispered, “Thank you, Nick.”

I headed over towards the doors but stopped at the end of the dancefloor. Pete was looking around the room a little confused until he saw me a few feet away from him. He stared at me for a second then went to turn away from me.

“Pete, don’t go.” I said running over to him but stopping.

Pete turned back around then walked closer to me. “How am I here?” He asked confused. “This is a dream, right?” Pete asked.

“Yes. This is my dream. I needed to talk to Nick and somehow he brought you here.” I said not sure if I should try to hug him or touch him.

“The last thing I remember is I went to the kitchen to uh um nevermind. I must have fallen asleep at the table.” He replied letting me know for sure he was at his parent’s house.

“Pete, you won’t listen to me but can’t you stay here in my dream? You can’t hurt me. It’s my dream.” I replied. I could tell in his eyes he wanted to hold me. He didn’t want to hurt me.

“So this is what you looked like in high school?” He asked smiling.

“Yeah. I really liked this dress and for once I got my hair done up nicely.” I said smiling.

“You look beautiful. I wish I knew you back then.” He said inching closer to me.

“You don’t look too bad yourself. I believe I recognize the wardrobe you are wearing.” I said laughing.

“Oh, yeah.” He said looking down and noticing what he was wearing.

“Pete, I don’t want to fight. I want you and I need you and if I can’t have you, then can’t you come into my dreams?” I pleaded.

Pete then grabbed me and kissed me. It almost felt so real. My heart started to beat faster.

“You know I can’t be with you. I will only hurt you, but maybe I can do this.” He said as he pulled away a bit from me.

We locked hands and walked onto the floor. “I love you, Pete. I didn’t mean what I said. I was just angry.” I said as we started to dance.

“So what are you doing sleeping? Isn’t it like in the afternoon now or something?” Pete asked.

“Well, after you left me I went downstairs and started to train.” I said.

“What! The doctor said…” Pete said before I cut him off.

“I know what the doctor said but you pissed me off. I needed blow off steam in some way. And in the process I went nuts for a bit. Long story short, I blew up Volkmar’s mansion and watched it burn. It was all over the news. Apparently it scared Patrick when he saw that we weren’t there and he called a group meeting with everyone. I showed up after I watched the fire department put out the last bit of the fire and then headed back. A new attitude came over me and I didn’t seem to care about anything but whatever revenge I could exact on Volkmar for destroying our marriage. I kind of treated everyone pretty bad and Brendon had to talk some sense into me. I was so exhausted that he told me to get some sleep and try to talk to Nick.” I said explaining things.

“Wow! You actually did that? You blew it up?” He asked.

“Yes. Maybe it wasn’t the smartest thing to do but when this slayer gets pissed, you know me. I have to be careful though because I know Volkmar is after Kat and I will do anything to protect her whether she wants my help or not. She now blames me for you leaving on top of her being upset that I am a slayer again.” I said as we danced.

“I am concerned about your health though.” Pete said worried about me.

“It hurt like no other when I trained for awhile but my body apparently got used to it and is healing up nicely. I’m fine now.” I said.

“My heart aches.” Pete said looking in my eyes.

“I wonder why.” I said sarcastically and rolling my eyes.

“Seriously, I know we can’t be together.” He said with me interupting him.

“Yes we can.” I said as I interupted him.

“Will you let me finish?” He asked.

“Fine.” I said pulling away from him and walking over to a table to sit down.

“Amanda, I don’t want to stay with you because I may kill you. But my heart aches to know that you are upset.” Pete said sitting down and reaching for my hand.

“You make my heart ache because we can’t be together according to you. All I want is for us to be together and live the life we deserve to lead. What am I supposed to do? I fall asleep, your scent is on your pillows. I wear your hoodie because it smells and reminds me of you. I even broke our wedding picture from throwing it at the window as you took off. How can I concentrate on killing Volkmar and protecting our friends if my mind is on you?” I asked upset.

“I know. I wish I had the answers. I wish I could tell you yes I will come back but I can’t.” He said with hurt in his eyes. “I do love you and I would die for you but I want you to live and not die because of me regardless of what you say.” Pete said.

I sat there in silence for a minute holding back tears. All I want is my husband back but if dreams are all I can have then so be it. It is better then nothing.

“Pete, come with me.” I said having an idea.

“Where are we going?” He asked getting up and taking my hand as I lead the way.

“I’m not sure. I am not even sure this is going to work.” I said as I got to the ballroom doors and pushed them open revealing Pete and I’s bedroom from our house. We were now standing in our bedroom. The one we had to give up from Volkmar attacking me and Kat outside our home that one evening.

“How did you do that?” Pete asked.

“I don’t know but this is my dream so apparently I can do whatever I want.” I said looking around.

“And what do you want right now?” He said holding me tightly.

I pushed Pete’s bangs out of his face then slipped my arms around his neck. “What I want right now is for you to be quiet and to love me right now in this moment in this dream, leaving everything else behind.” I replied demanding.