How Dark Is the Night?

Choices

“What did I do?” Brendon said nearly falling down on the bed from how hard I hit him.

“You woke me up from a very excellent dream I was having.” I replied trying to regain my composure after this rush, I was feeling.

“Oh, what kind of dream was that? Wait, you weren’t dreaming of Nick in a sexual way were you?” Brendon asked as I sat up in bed. “Amanda, you look flustered.” Brendon added.

“Shut up! No, I was not dreaming of Nick in that way. Although I did have a talk with Nick but
I happened to be having a very important dream with Pete of all things and you ruined it!” I snapped getting up as he backed into the dresser.

“Uh, really? You two connected in a completely new level I gather. I take it he is coming home?” Brendon asked understanding what happened. “No wonder you look all hot and bothered.” He added laughing. I shot him a dirty look and he held his head down for a second.

“I don’t know if he is coming home. We did not get to finish our conversation. You pulled me away from him and woke me up remember? Besides someone on his end pulled him away, waking him up. However, I will tell you this, Brendon. This dream felt so real. It is as if I can still feel him as if we had just been together.” I said smiling.

“Wow, you had that vivid of a dream? How?” Brendon asked.

“I don’t know. One minute I was talking to Nick, then the next he told me to look through some doors and Pete showed up. Then, Nick disappeared and one thing led to another for me and Pete and well, you don’t need to know all the details as I am sure you can already figure them out.” I said, as I blushed a bit more.

“I’m sorry. I did not know you were dreaming. Patrick sent me up here to tell you that dinner would be ready soon.” Brendon said slowly sitting on the bed afraid I may hit him or something.

I glanced at the alarm clock to see that it was after four pm. Then I smiled at Brendon and pulled my hair back behind my ears. I sat down on the bed beside him.

“I’m not going to hurt you but I am going to do this!” I said smacking him some more with a pillow until Erelin showed up in the doorway.

“Ahem!” She said.
Brendon and I both looked up to see her at the doorway.

“Are you done abusing my husband here or do I need to bust you two up?” She replied.
Brendon looked at me and I looked at him. He grabbed another pillow and we got up to start whacking her. Brendon grabbed Erelin, as he got closer to her as I hit her with two pillows; one that he dropped as he held her. He then tackled her to the bed and started to tickle her.

“No fair! I can’t say I can’t breathe so you can keep tickling me!” She yelled.

“Ok, Brendon, I think she has had enough.” I said pulling him up off Erelin. Both of them looked at me surprised I had just picked Brendon up and moved him away from Erelin.

“So are you coming down to dinner?” Erelin asked. “I mean you aren’t going to bite our heads off are you?” She added.

“Erelin, come on dear.” Brendon said helping her up off the bed. “Amanda had an awesome dream. I do not think she will be moody for a while. I will explain everything. Trust me it gets juicy.” He said rushing out of my room with Erelin in tow as I was about to whack him again.

I stood there and looked into the mirror. I had some color in my cheeks and I felt happy. I was suddenly craving Pete though. I wanted more of what we had only I wanted it to be real and not a dream. I rubbed my stomach. Alex was going to be fine as long as I stayed that way. I was hungry for two things. One was Pete, and the other food. A pregnant girl has to eat you know.

I decided to take a quick cold shower. I needed one to cool off the emotions I was having. Pete and I have had dreams similar but not as vivid as that before. My question now was though, would Pete take that and everything I said to heart and come home?

After I showered, I got dressed for slaying. I needed to go out and find out how much I pissed Volkmar off. I could not be thinking about Pete coming home at this moment. I had to focus on the task and that was killing Volkmar.

I walked downstairs to find everyone staring at me. I found a spot to eat at and grabbed me plenty of spaghetti. Who knew Patrick could cook so well? Andy ate some type of vegetarian version and Chrissy just stared at him while he ate.

“What?” Andy asked.

“How can you eat that stuff? I mean I love you and all but sometimes your food looks so not worth eating.” Chrissy replied.

“Hey, you want to marry me.” He replied.

“I know but still.” She said sighing.

“So, Amanda, what is on the agenda for tonight?” Kat said finally talking to me.

“Well, I thought that we would go out slaying together. I figured you, Micah, Erelin, and Brendon.” I said as I ate.

“When are you going to marry me?” Chrissy said changing the subject at hand.

“I don’t know.” Andy replied. Bev and Joe looked at each other trying not to laugh.

“Every time I try to set a date you just shrug your shoulders and say I don’t know. Life is short. Why not go ahead and get married?” Chrissy said as she ate.

“Andy, Sam and I have set our date.” Patrick said rubbing it in but not really meaning to. I think he was trying to get Andy to get on the ball.

“Yeah, I don’t want to be the last ones to get married here, Mr. Hurley.” Chrissy said.

I watched Erelin and Micah sit on the couch and drink their blood. In between talking and drinking, they were both laughing at Chrissy and Andy. At least the attention was taken off of me and my dream which I am sure Brendon blabbed to everyone seeing how everyone stared at me when I came down and he hasn’t given me eye contact since I sat down.

“Ok, anyone else want to go slaying tonight?” I asked changing the subject. “Anyone?” I asked seeing how no one else volunteered.

“Ok, then, Andy and Chrissy I volunteer you guys.” I said.

“Thanks Andy. You saved my life.” Joe said kidding Andy.

“Shut up, man.” He said.

“See what happens when you pick a fight with me? We get volunteered for things.” Chrissy said playfully whacking the back of Andy’s head.

“Chill, woman.” Andy replied.

I helped do the dishes when everyone was finished eating. Bev and Joe went home. Patrick gathered up his new fangled weaponry for Andy and Chrissy to use. He was showing them how to use them. I preferred my handy stake or crossbow. After all, slayers of the past relied on Mr. Pointy for all those years.

When it got dark, we all left for the alleys. It was our job to find out what Volkmar was up to and where he is hiding out. I looked at Kat once we drove to the bad spots of downtown.

“Kat, stay near us. We should stick together tonight until we know exactly what Volkmar is up to.” I said.

“I don’t see why I should listen to you. I wasn’t the one who went off burning his mansion down.” She snickered.

“Kat, you need to listen to Amanda. As your watcher I think it is a good idea.” Micah said.

“You are on her side now? Fine, be that way. I will play nice for tonight.” She said rolling her eyes. Sometimes I wanted to just go at it and show her who the boss is. I have been nothing but nice to her and treated her as if she was my own sister. Pete and I took her in and I trained her until I became the slayer. Something snapped in her and I wish I knew what it was.

It was a slow night for a little while until I felt a presence surround us. It was Volkmar and I hated knowing he was here. Even though he has no hold over me, he did bite me last and therefore I can feel him near.

“So you are alive are you?” Volkmar said in hiding.

“Stop being a coward and face me.” I said circling around my friends.

“You should have wished you died in those woods.” Volkmar said.

“Apart of me did but I found it.” I said. “Welcome to the new and improved slayer who is ready to kick your sorry ass.” I said on the look out.

Volkmar finally showed his face but along with him, he had at least twenty vampires. We were out numbered twenty to seven but that has never stopped us before. I looked to see Micah was close to Kat.

“Kat, stay away from Volkmar.” I yelled.

“Whatever. I do not have to listen to you. I am a slayer too.” She smarted off.

Volkmar and I began to fight but he would send his goons in for me to fight when he felt threatened. Everyone was fighting and we were winning until Kat had strayed away from the group. No one had noticed her going after Volkmar because we were all busy. We assumed she kept away but we were wrong.

“Amanda!” Micah screamed. “Stop her!” He yelled when he saw Kat headed straight to Volkmar.

I dusted one vampire only to have another knock me to the ground. I finally staked him but from where I was, I could not reach her in time. She had started to fight Volkmar and lost. I could only watch as he pulled her holding her hands back and biting her neck fiercely.

“No!” I yelled trying to reach them.

“I’m on it!” Brendon said ahead of me. He had broken free and killed the vampires he was fighting and took off after Kat with Micah behind him.

I ran after them trailing behind. Volkmar was fast and he had thrown Kat who was unconscious now to one of his vampire guards. Erelin, Chrissy, and Andy were finishing off the vampires who ended up left behind.

What I saw next made me not want to breathe. I could not scream and I could not do anything to help. I watched as more vampires came out of nowhere and ambushed us.

They knocked Micah unconscious as well and took him with Kat. Brendon had tried to stop the vampires who had them but Volkmar grabbed him, as three vampires distracted me.

I screamed and killed the vampires only to find it was too late. Volkmar made his exit but not before stabbing Brendon severely. It was not like when he had stabbed me. This was different. This was to let us know that Volkmar was out for blood if anyone got in his way.

I made my way up to him. He had his back to me. I touched his shoulder. When he turned around, Brendon was clutching his right side. He looked at me in shock. His face became pale and I saw blood everywhere.

“No, Brendon. No!” I cried.

“Amanda, I’m sorry. I tried.” He said taking a few steps then collapsing in my arms.

“Somebody help me!” I screamed.

Erelin, Andy, and Chrissy all finally made it over to where I was after killing those vampires. I was crying and Brendon was starting to fight for every breath. I looked up at Erelin who was in shock.

“No! This isn’t supposed to happen!” She yelled getting on her knees and taking Brendon out of my arms carefully to hold him.

I had his blood all over me. I looked and saw how deep his wounds were. I think Volkmar may have punctured his lung if nothing else.

“Erelin, don’t cry.” Brendon said gasping for air.

I felt alone at that moment. I was angry, hurt, confused, and sad. Now is the time where I need Pete the most.