How Dark Is the Night?

The Decisions We Make

“Erelin, I…I love you.” Brendon said gasping for air.

Andy had a hold of Chrissy who was speechless. Erelin was holding Brendon and stroking his hair. I guess to try to calm him down.

“Brendon, don’t talk that way. Save your strength. We will get help.” Erelin said looking at me for any kind of answers.

“I am…dying. It is my time. I want you to smile and to…help kick Volkmar’s ass for me.” Brendon said in between breaths and trying to smile.

I stood there helpless. Then, I had a feeling to look over behind me. No one else could see him but I could. I saw Beckett.

In my head, I heard what he had warned me about and what Nick had reinforced to me. I would save two of my friends. Brendon is one of those friends. I nodded my head understanding what I must do and then Beckett vanished.

“Erelin, I know how to save Brendon.” I said kneeling beside her and Brendon. I placed my bloody hand from where I had held him on top of Brendon’s hands.

“You do? How is that?” She said in between sobs.

“You must bite him and turn him.” I said.

Brendon looked at me confused at first then started to cough up some blood. He was running out of precious time. If Erelin did not act soon then Brendon would be gone forever.

“I can’t do that!” She said. “No, I won’t do that!” She screamed at me.

“Erelin, Brendon is dying. He will die and be gone forever if you do not do this. Do you want to lose him forever?” I yelled looking at Brendon who finally understood what I was trying to do. He realized this was the only way to save him even if it meant being on borrowed time.

“Erelin, do it for me.” He said coughing again.

“But, how do we know that this will work. I don’t want to kill my own husband and you turn bad, Brendon.” Erelin said crying.

“It’s a risk but we have to try.” He said coughing again and gasping for air.

“Trust me, Erelin. I know this is what we need to do.” I said.

Brendon began closing his eyes and almost on his last breaths. “Hurry!” I yelled.
I did not want to lose my best friend either. Why would Beckett tell me I had to save him and then it not work? I watched Erelin pick Brendon up and tell him that she loved him. Then, I watched her slide her fangs out and give me a scared look.

I turned around because I could not watch as she sank her fangs in and drank what was left of his blood. Then, she let go and slit one of her wrists open as I turned back around. Brendon was barely hanging on but he was unconscious. She put her wrist up to Brendon’s mouth hoping he would bite it but he did not.

Erelin gave me a worried glance that maybe it was too late. I ran back over there and took her wrist rubbing it over his mouth. His mouth began to move and he licked his lips wanting to taste more. He started to bite her wrist. When he drank enough, Brendon then died in her arms.

Erelin just kept holding him and telling him she was sorry and that she loved him. I knew that we needed to get Brendon back to Patrick’s and he needed to be locked up until we knew if he was good or not. Someone needed to stay in the room with him.

“We need to get Brendon to Patrick’s. We can put him in Kat’s room since well, we can’t help her right now.” I said upset at myself. I could not save her. What kind of slayer am I?

“Kat’s room had no windows. Erelin you will need to stay with him until he wakes up. But if he is bad you will have to stake him.” I said.

“You ask me to turn him then you ask me to kill him if he is bad? I already killed my husband by turning him. What more do you want from me?” Erelin screamed as we got Brendon in the car. “I can’t kill him twice.” She started to sob.

“Then, I guess I can do it since I can sense if he is good or not.” I said as Andy drove us to Patrick’s home.

Andy helped me place Brendon in the room and then made sure to lock me in on his end of the room. On my end, I made sure that no one could get out as well. I heard Chrissy explaining everything to Sam and Patrick outside of the room.

All I could do now was sit and wait as I sat on the floor keeping a close eye on Brendon. I held my stake in my hand. Could I really kill my best friend if he was bad? That is crazy talk. I had to do what was right if he was bad.

I just hope that I made the right decision and that Beckett was not wrong. If this works and Brendon is a good vampire, then who else do I have to save and does this have to happen again? I surely hope not.

I heard Erelin sob and yell things I know she did not mean at me from outside of the room. I knew how she was feeling because I was not sure that this might work either. All I could do was to wait for Brendon to wake up as a vampire. If only Pete was here to help comfort me. I could really use him right now.