How Dark Is the Night?

Time After Time It Brings Me Back To You

I sat in my seat of the plane ready for it to take off. I had to get off this one when it lands and onto another one in another state, just to finally get on a plane that goes to Chicago. I remembered to dress very warm for when I arrived. I know it can get cold in November. I was wearing two shirts, one of Pete’s warm hoodies and jeans. I was lucky in that I did not need to go out and buy maternity clothes yet.

Once the first flight landed and I caught the other one I laid back in my seat and put on the complementary headphones. I found a station that started to play Quietdrive’s Time After Time song. Cyndi Lauper was the original artist that once sang it. I listened to the words carefully as I closed my eyes. Quietdrive had become one of my new favorite groups, which
Pete knew I liked well.

Lying in my bed I hear the clock tick and think of you
Caught up in circles confusion is nothing new
You say go slow; I fall behind
The second hand unwinds
If you're lost you can look and you will find me
Time after time
If you fall I will catch you; I'll be waiting
Time after time

The lyrics had sucked me into memories I started to remember of things that had happened to me and Pete over the year. I started to remember our first encounter all the way to me walking down the aisle. I started to smile.

Flashbacks

(Flashback One)
I was released from Mike’s grip and briefly saw four guys come to our rescue. Two went after Mike. And I don’t know where Trevor went. What happened next was kind of a blur as I collapsed in one guy’s arms that had dark hair and soulful eyes. I remember telling him to help Bev and then I was out.

“Whoa take it easy there!” I heard a guy say turning on a light.

It took me a few seconds for my eyes adjust to the light when I looked at my surroundings from coming to. Then I saw him; the person whose arms I fell into from that idiot that tried to hurt me.

“You are a vampire!” I blurted out. Wait what was I saying, a vampire? They do not exist or do they? “But you are a good one. You have a soul.” I added.

“How do you know I am one?” He asked.

“I don’t really know. It’s more like a feeling I have and I just know.” I said grabbing my neck. Then I remembered Mike. He bit me. That must be why I was brought here. There really are vampires. “And that Mike guy bit me and you brought me here to what watch me? I mean you guys killed Trevor and Mike right?” I said.

“Well not exactly. The other guys you saw before you collapsed ran off after the guy that hurt your friend and dusted him. Mike, the one that bit you got away and so now we must watch you so he doesn’t call for you.” he said.

"Wait, what? You can’t keep me here. I mean you will catch him. You are a vampire hunter after all. I’ve seen enough vampire movies to know. Ha! He’ll call me alright.” I said.

“Seriously, I’m not kidding. Vampires have the ability to call their victims to finish them off. They tap into your mind telepathically and you are under their spell once bitten.” The guy said.

“Great so you are going to use me as bait to lure him out?” I asked angrily.

“Not exactly.” He said.

“Fine but I’m leaving at day break so Bev doesn’t wake up and worry.” I said upset.

“Agreed but we will come get you before sunset, and Bev will be ok. She was knocked unconscious, but she sort of woke up and then fell asleep. I don’t think she is going to remember too much about what happened.” He said staring at me.

“Whatever. Look, have a seat.” I said patting the bed. We were in front of a dresser and a mirror. The good-looking guy had no reflection I noticed as he sat down beside me. My name is Amanda and I am sorry if we got off on the wrong foot.” I said.

“My name is Pete. And it’s ok.” Pete said. “I know who you are. I saw it on your driver’s license.” He added.

“Oh. Well thank you for saving us.” I replied. Just looking in his dark, mysterious eyes gave me chills. I wanted to know more about him.
(End of Flashback One)

(Flashback 2)
I don’t know what it was but I felt so drawn to Pete. So I had decided to be crazy and climbed onto the fire escape where Pete lives and went to the window it led to. I was in luck. The window was cracked open. All I needed now was to climb in and find Pete, and pray he didn’t arrest me for breaking and entering.

“Wait it technically wasn’t breaking in if the window was already open. I just entered uninvited. Oh man. I’m in so much trouble. What am I doing?” I said aloud.

Too late, I was already in a room that was the same room I woke up in. Interesting. “Pete?” I said walking out of the room. I didn’t go in but I looked in the other three rooms. No Pete. Hmm. Then it dawned on me. Maybe, he was sleeping, and was in that room that he said was off limits. I quickly proceeded downstairs and towards the room. There weren’t a lot of windows to let the sun in and the curtains were pulled anyhow to keep it out. The only light I had to go on was the kitchen light left on.

“Here goes”, I told myself. I opened the door and walked in. “Pete, are you in here?” I said trying to adjust to total darkness. I was also feeling around for a light when I smacked and tripped over something. “Ouch, I needed those kneecaps. What was that?” I said getting up in slight pain. I found a wall to help myself up and a lamp. I turned the lamp on and in front of me was a long metal box sort of similar to a coffin. I looked around the room and there was barely anything else in the room except some pictures and clothes on the floor. “No, Pete.” I said aloud.

Somehow, I knew he was in that metal box but I didn’t want to believe it. My only choice was to open it and hope for the best. Maybe he wouldn’t be too mad at me for being here. Here goes. I opened it and gasped for Pete was lying inside. Then he woke up suddenly showing his fangs and grabbed me by the neck.

“Pete it’s me, Amanda.” I barely let out trying to grab his hands off my neck. Then he let go and realized it was me he had, but was still showing his fangs. I sat back far away from the box.

“What are you doing here? Are you stupid? I could have killed you.” Pete said angrily sitting up and rubbing his eyes from the light.
I was still in shock that he actually sleeps in a metal box and that he almost tried to strangle me. “What?” I mumbled. “I knocked on the door but, but no one answered.” I said scared. I have never seen Pete this angry before in the short time I known him.

Then he got out and walked over to me putting his hand out. “Are you going to hurt me now?” I asked.

“No. I’m trying to help you up. Now if no one is here, how did you get in?” he said still upset with me.

I took his hand and got up but not turning my back towards him. “I knocked but no one answered. I ran to the side of your place and found an emergency escape so I climbed up and found an open window. I hollered your name but apparently you didn’t hear me for you were sleeping. I just had too many questions and it couldn’t wait until tonight.” I said watching him.

“You need to leave.” Pete said walking into the gym area.

“Why? I just got here. Look I’m really sorry. I’m sure I have disappointed you. But I’m scared about tonight. I want to fight back. I don’t want to be just the bait. I trust you but I need help. I don’t know what is going to happen or if I am going to be sane tonight. I just know I don’t want to be controlled and I don’t want to die.” I said following him.

“You break into my place and expect me to help you now? You should have just listened to me. You might trust me but I can’t trust you now. I thought maybe you were smarter.” Pete said.

“Oh, smarter? Look at you. You tell me you hate being a vampire. You don’t want to live like them and look at you. You sleep in a metal box shaped like a coffin. Why? You are not one of them Pete. You have a soul. I see it in your eyes you care about people. But if you continue to live like vampires then you will become like them.
You are just isolating yourself from the world.” I said.

“Are you finished?” he said.

“Yeah, I’m done now.” I said.

“Good you can leave.” He said grabbing my arm.

“Let go of me Pete!” I said trying to break from him.

“Or else what?” He said.

“Or else this.” I said flipping him to the ground really hard.

“Whoa, is that all you got?” Pete said getting up.

I gave him all I had, and in the process, we managed to learn a little more about each other. By that time, I was caught off guard a little. I let Pete get under my skin.

The next thing I knew we were gazing in each others’ eyes and he reached for the side of my face touching it and leaning in closer to me. We were about to kiss when we heard the boys come in.
(End of Flashback 2)

(Flashback 3)
“Pete, are you awake?” I whispered and leaned over him.

All of a sudden, Pete threw back the covers and pulled me over on top of him on the bed. The faker, he had to know I was there all this time. I would get him back though.

“Hey! How did you know I was here? I slipped in quietly.” I said.

“Nope, I heard you running up the steps so I knew it was you. You are the only one who likes to break in.” He said laughing.

“Well, fine! Next time I will knock on the front door. How do you like that?” I said smiling and lying on top, facing him. I liked being so close to his body. He gazed into my eyes. Yes, we definitely had chemistry.

“I just think it’s cute. You can’t go to the front when I am here. It wouldn’t be you.” He said.

“Oh, you think you know me so well. You just wait.” I said firing back.

“It will kill you. Admit it you love sneaking up here. You might come through the door for awhile but then back to the window.” He said.

“Is that a bet? You are on.” I said smirking.

“No bet, just fact.” He said kissing me.

Kissing is good. But, kissing his body as I had the urge to do was even better. I began to kiss his neck, then his chest all the way down to his line above his boxers. Ooh that was different, boxers. Pete wanted more I could tell, but I thought that teasing him, leaving him wanting more was so much more fun right now especially considering how he made fun of me. That is how I would show him.

I rolled over, got up and pretended I was going to leave. Pete grabbed me and pulled me back down on the bed. This time he pinned me. Okay I’m not complaining here.

“So, what is it you wanted to tell me? There is a reason you are here right? Is everything ok?” Pete asked me leaning on top of me.

“Uh, can’t I just come over? Do I have to have a reason to come over now?” I said pushing him off of me. I rolled over to one side of the bed leaving him on the opposite. I lay on my side with my right hand on my head, my arm propped on a pillow. Pete did the same across from me.

“Sorry. I’m just not used to this I guess.” He said. “How is your shoulder and arm?” He continued.

“It’s great. No pain at all. You were right.” I said. “I guess being a slayer does have its perks too.” I added.

“Good. I’m sorry I had to leave. With the sun coming up and all I wanted to make it back home. I did stay a little while after you fell asleep. I like watching you sleep. I think you are pretty.” Pete said.

“Aw. Thank you Pete, I think. I mean no one has told me I’m pretty when I sleep before. I did dream though. I guess you dreamed it too?” I asked.

“No, I didn’t sleep. I haven’t yet. Why, was I in it?” He asked all concerned.
I told him about it starting out with my mom and then moving on to us. He just kind of took it all in but didn’t say anything for a few minutes. I sat up. Pete does it mean…” I said before Pete cut in.

“Amanda,” he said sitting up and holding my hand, “It won’t happen. I will not let it. Beckett will not beat me and he won’t hurt you either. I promise. You can trust me on that one.” He said reaching in to kiss me.

All it takes is for one kiss and I’m sucked in. He paralyzes me in a good way. It’s like time stands still but we are the only ones awake. Nothing else matters.

“Pete, were you writing again?” I said breaking free and reaching for the floor to grab his notebook.

“Hey! Leave it alone. Don’t touch it.” He said pulling me back halfway on the bed and tickling me.

“Ok. Stop. I can’t breathe.” I said laughing so hard.

“I may be writing some songs again in answer to your question but what difference does it make now?” Pete said looking away.

“I read the first song and I liked it. You could do it again Pete if you tried. There are ways to get around everyone finding out who you are now.” I said looking at him.

“No. It’s not who I am anymore. Besides if I did that, who would stop Beckett from taking more lives?” Pete said, his mood changing.

“But I know you love music and you also love performing. That is who you are Pete.” I said rubbing his shoulder.

“Just drop it.” Pete said.

“Ok. I will for now.” I said.

I didn’t want to start a fight with him. That is not why I came here. I just wanted to know he was safe and I saw so I guess I should go now.

“Well, I guess I should be going now.” I said getting up.

“Wait. Don’t go.” He said grabbing my hand and resting his head on my chest. “I can hear your heart beat. I can feel it too.” He said then placing his hand over my heart.

“Pete.” I said lifting up his chin and brushing his bangs away from his face. His hair was all messy and I loved it like that.

“I don’t have one. I can’t feel my heart beat but did I ever really?” He said.

“Pete. You have a heartbeat. I can feel it, maybe not physically but its there. How else are you good? You have a soul and that is what matters. If you did not have a soul, you would be like Beckett and you would not care about others. You would not care about me. Your heart beats for me.” I said.
(End of Flashback 3)

(Flashback 4)
“Are you trying to get yourself killed? How reckless was that?” Pete said throwing his hands up.

“Um, guys I think I am leaving now on that note. I have some things to take care of.” Patrick said.

“Thank you for your help, Patrick. Be safe.” I said hugging him and watching him get to his car.

“I’m not reckless and I could have handled it. Besides I wasn’t going down with out a fight. How was I to know he had friends waiting for me out here? I tried to stake him, it was just difficult.” I said with my arms folded.

“Oh, difficult, huh? That didn’t stop you from kissing him.” Pete fired back.

“It was just business. It didn’t mean anything, besides am I sensing some jealousy issues now? Just how long were you watching me?” I asked.

“You want to know the truth? Fine! I will tell you the truth. It drove me crazy the way you flirted and handled yourself. You kissed a vampire and don’t tell me he was a bad kisser. I can see right through that one. You are so stubborn at times. I care about you. I don’t want anything to happen to you because the truth is I would die inside. You have changed me in the last few days and made me see things in a new light. I crave you and I’m scared of that. I don’t want to get too close because if I do, the vampire in me may come out. That scares me. I don’t want to end up hurting you.” Pete said staring at me with such confused eyes.

“Pete.” I began to say.

“Let me finish.” He said. “It is hard to not want to drink people’s blood. I do everything I can to prevent it from happening. But you are this fire that ignites in me and it makes me want more of you. You smell good. Your scent was left on my pillows from the other night and your perfume is burned into my memory. I love the way your hair looks in the moonlight. Your smile is so warm and loving. I hate it but love it too how you can drive me so crazy. And you do look very pretty tonight all dressed up for clubbing. I’m sorry I’m not dressed to impress much.” Pete said grabbing my hand and kissing it.

My mind wondered into thought. I thought about what he had said. Ok, granted it was no I love you or how bout a date, but I understood how he really felt now. We still need to work on the date issue but we can worry about that later. He is so afraid of hurting me by the vampire coming out that he feels he cannot really commit I take it.

“Pete, there isn’t a need to worry. I trust that you will not hurt me and even if you did what difference does it make? I wouldn’t let you control me anyways. I can take you, fangs and all remember?” I said laughing.

“Seriously it isn’t funny.” Pete said.

“Look. We both care about each other. I’m sorry I made you jealous but I had to know how you truly felt about me. I don’t want to be the girl who is just always around when you want to kiss or make out with.” I said hugging him.

He said I smelt good, but whatever cologne he had on made me want to go at it with him. I pulled away from our hug and flashed a smile to Pete. I wanted to make him understand I was not going to go anywhere.

“Pete. I will not leave you. I am not afraid of you and whatever obstacles come our way, we can take them on together. You are not alone anymore. You do not have to be. I gave up on being alone when I met you.” I said grabbing his hands and placing mine on top.

“Hey, give me your keys.” Pete suddenly said.

“Why?” I asked.

“I want to take you somewhere. Somewhere you can see the lights of the city. They are beautiful at night.” Pete said grabbing my arm and pulling me to my car.
Pete had taken me up to Lookout Pointe for the first time. The city lights were beautiful up there, as Pete had said. Little did I know that Pete would leave me alone instead of facing his problems and alone for Beckett to find as I remembered more of that night.

We began to make out so intensely that he put me up on the hood of my car. He started to kiss me all over my neck, and my mouth. My heart raced. My body ached for him. What I thought would last forever suddenly stopped. He had bitten me. He lost control and slipped. When I jerked was when he pulled away.

“Pete.” I said grabbing my neck and feeling the blood drip down. It didn’t really hurt much because he punctured my skin but didn’t suck any blood. Plus I was still caught up in the moment we had. “It’s alright. Look, I’m not hurt. It will heal.” I said getting up off the car. I tried to grab his shoulder but he jerked away with his back to me.

“Every time I get to close or too into the moment look what happens.” Pete said stepping closer to the edge of the cliff.

“Pete, it is seriously alright. We can work through this. Don’t jump. Don’t be a coward and run from your problems.” I said.

Pete turned around with blood on his lips from biting me. Do you really want to see this, see me? Look at me. I tried to stop it. I tried to fight it. I let myself give in and to only hurt you. I didn’t want that and now you know how dangerous it is to be around me. Don’t touch me right now or come near me.” He said pulling away from me as I tried to step closer to him.
“I want to. It is my decision, not yours to be around you. Pete please step away from the ledge. Come back over here to me.” I said. I knew if he jumped he would be ok but that wasn’t the point. I didn’t want him to hide from me.

“I’m sorry. I can’t.” Pete said jumping off the cliff as I tried to grab him.

“No! Fine! Be the coward!” I said yelling over the cliff on my knees.

I wanted to hurt something right now. I wanted to scream. How can he do this to me? I quit! The poor rocks and dirt felt my wrath. I got up and kicked them so hard. Then I knelt back down on my knees and started to cry.

I did not get to cry long though because I had the worst sickening feeling in my stomach. I knew I was in serious trouble. I looked up to see Beckett sitting on top of my car where I kept my stakes inside. He had me surrounded with eleven of his Dandies. Brendon was nowhere in sight. I was screwed.
(End of Flashback 4)

“Excuse me miss, but do you want anything to drink?” A stewardess asked me, snapping me out of my thoughts down memory lane.

“Um, sure. A Coke will be alright.” I replied.

After I had received my coke, I took a few sips from it. I was a little thirsty. Then, it was back to the music and a trip back down memory lane. I briefly wondered how long of a reunion Brendon and Erelin were going to enjoy before one of them says the wrong thing and the bicker back and forth like normal again. But, they would not love each other and be them if they did not argue from time to time.