How Dark Is the Night?

The Trohmans

(Brendon’s POV)
“Man, whose idea was it to go out slaying last night?” Andy groaned.

“I believe it was Erelin’s husband.” Chrissy said looking at Erelin who was looking at me.

“You just had to be the leader, didn’t you?” Erelin said with her arms crossed.

It was a rough night last night. We didn not find Volkmar or Kat but he has definitely turned more people in this city into vampires. We had our work cut out for us. Everyone was too tired to go home to his or her places that we all crashed at Patrick and Sam’s place.

I looked at my watch to see that it was almost ten in the morning. Erelin and I could not do anything because we were stuck in this place at least until dark. She was still mad at me over pulling rank last night even though I saved her butt twice last night.

Bev and Joe were lucky; they were excluded from last night’s outing due to her working and being overly tired. Speaking of Bev, she has been so worried about Kat. I know it was hard for her to make excuses up at her job for Kat. She could not exactly tell everyone that a crazy vampire had kidnapped Kat. I know she has been so exahuasted lately as well. I hope that
Joe has noticed this and is helping her to cope.

I heard the front door open and saw Joe walking hand in hand with a happy Bev. Her face was beaming. I wondered why she was do happy.

“At least one of us is happy.” Andy said lying on the couch.

“Shh.” Chrissy said as she got up to greet them.

“Ah, Joe what brings you here? I thought you had to work today, missy.” Patrick said jokingly as he walked over to hug Bev.

I walked out of the kitchen after grabbing a snack and sat on the floor by Erelin who just shook her head at me and got up to sit at the bar. I sighed. At least we killed some more vampires last night.

“Well, I took off today. Joe and I found out this morning why I have been so tired and such. I’m pregnant!” Bev said all proud as I spit out the blood I had in my mouth from my packet not expecting her to say that.

“Good going. What a waste.” Erelin said laughing at me.

“Eww. Patrick he spit on me!” Sam said, as she happened to be my victim I spat on as she was sitting across from me on the floor.

Everyone was laughing at me and I just nodded and tried to laugh as well embarrassed. “Sam, I am so sorry. Can I buy you a new shirt or something?” I asked as I walked into the kitchen to grab a wet rag to help her get it off her shirt.

“No! Just stay away from me for now.” She said snatching the rag and running upstairs.

“I’m sorry Bev. You took me off guard a little.” I replied walking over to her.

“It’s ok. I was surprised myself.” She said hugging me.

Everyone was happy and hugging Joe and Bev congratulating him or her. I was glad that we were trying to have our normal lives as much as we could. However, I worried about this especially since Bev is not a slayer or a vampire. This makes us down one fighter and I did not want to see her get hurt.

“Well now we have a wedding to tell Amanda and Pete about and a pregnancy.” Chrissy said all smiles.

“Yes. Just think Joe, Amanda and Pete’s child can grow up with ours.” She smiled.

“I call for babysitting.” Andy said. Everyone stared at him.

“What? Someone has to teach them how to play drums at an early age and be the uncle that lets them get away with things.” Andy grinned.

“Oh, Andy!” Chrissy said playfully smacking his arm.

“You will not babysit my kids.” Joe said. I laughed at all the times Joe and Andy have bickered back and forth or bet over things. Yes, those kids would be spoiled rotten. Oh jeeze, especially if Erelin got a hold of them.

I looked over at her to see her smile then her smile start to fade. All this talk of baby talk got to Erelin. We were both vampires and could not have any children. I know that once we defeat Volkmar it will change but it does not stop the way she is thinking now.

“Hey, are you ok?” I asked sitting down beside her at the bar where she took her place again after walking over to Bev to congratulate her.

“Yeah. It is nice that Bev is pregnant. I am happy for her and Joe.” She sighed as I wrapped my arm around her.

“Hey, is this bothering you?” I asked trying to comfort her.

“It is just a little. We can’t have kids.” She said leaning into my shoulder. This was a good sign she was easing up on me.

“Honey, I know, but soon ok. After we defeat Volkmar, I promise if you really want a baby then I will give you all my energy to do so.” I said.

“You mean that?” She said with her beautiful eyes staring at me happily.

“Yes, I do.” I said.

“Oh Brendon!” She squealed.

“Hey, anyone heard from Amanda yet? Surely she found him already.” Patrick said.

“As far as I know,” I said turning, “I haven’t heard a peep from her.”

Just then, my cell phone rang and I got up to answer it taking the call upstairs in my room for privacy. It was Pete calling as I checked the caller ID. I wonder what he has to say. He better have found Amanda or the other way around.