When Dreams Aren’t Dreams

Chapter 23

When Alexius turned around to dodge Zekiah it was already too late.

With a swift move he inflicted Alex a deep wound that ran from his right side up to his neck. In that moment Alex couldn’t take it anymore, lighting escaped his hand and hit Zekiah right in his chest. His body didn’t resist it and exploded. Samuel was the only one left, but he didn’t last longer than a minute. Without Zekiah he didn’t stand a chance. Alexius compressed Samuel’s body, breaking every system inside his body. Blood flowed from his mouth as his lifeless body slumped to the floor.

Lynn heard Grey mutter a curse. He lifted her up and threw her over his shoulder. With that, her eyes shot opened and she was shocked with what she saw. There was blood everywhere. There were even broken trees! And in the floor was laying—literally— a ball of meat. She knew it was a body, but it was too disfigured. She suddenly felt sick inside, she was glad she had her eyes closed all that time. Grey kept carrying Lynn deep into the forest.

“Let me go!!” she was struggling in vain “Alex!!!” she screamed. Where was he? Oh! There! She caught a glimpse of movement behind them. Grey suddenly let her go and she fell—butt first—on the ground.

“Sorry for that, love, I’m in a hurry” he said doing some signs on a tree. Suddenly a kind of… portal? Began to open. What the hell!? That was supposed to happen only in movies! Oh shit! he wasn’t planning on taking her to his world, was he?

“Time to go” he said, but when he was going to grab Lynn a lightning bolt passed between them, almost hitting Grey on his shoulder. He cursed and without second thoughts he went through the portal. Right after the shinny thing disappeared Alexius showed up. Lynn was still lying on the ground with her back pressed against a rock. She looked up—“Fuck!” Was all she said. He looked at the verge of collapse. He was covered with blood. His blue eyes were dull and emotionless. He looked exhausted, but that wasn’t the reason that let her shocked. He had a damn huge bleeding cut that ran from his side up to his neck… and it wasn’t healing!!! He sat down beside her and leaned his head back against the rock. His hair was covering slightly his eyes.

“Are you alright?” he asked, his voice a whisper

Was he for real!? He was the one dying!

“Alex” her voice quivered “you’re the one bleeding; you’re not supposed to be asking that!”

He smiled softly; he lifted his hand and touched the cords on her hand, she was free in seconds.

“Lynn…”he whispered “I owe you an explication”

“No, now you’re goi—”

“No, I’m not going to a hospital” he cut her off

“But—”

“Lynn, I’m not human, my body is different than yours”

“But—”

“I just need some rest, I’ll stay here until the wound stops bleeding and meanwhile I can explain everything to you”

“Forget about that, why don’t you sleep?”

“I have to be awake so I can concentrate all my powers in my wound and talking to you is a good way to stay awake”

She bit her lip, he sounded so weak, he seemed too weak

“Okay, I guess”

“Well, the people in my world, Sylden, can’t dream and ironically I was the god of dreams”

“Interesting” she couldn’t believe she was having this conversation… other worlds, gods…she must be insane

“Yes, and I could only give nightmares, anyway, that’s not the point. The gods in my world found out that people in earth have dreams. And all the dreams were about Sylden”

“You’re telling me that the place we go when we’re dreaming is Sylden?” she interrupted him

“Yes”

“Weird”

“Unfortunately they found out that human’s dreams have a great power. Is for dreams that people live and is in dreams that humans let out their deepest feelings. They tried to make theirs that power. They hire me to steal the dreams of the humans and replace them with nightmares”

“So we could be sleeping peacefully if it weren’t for you?” she asked

“Yep, and it’s also my fault that some people can’t remember their dreams… The gods took the deep feelings that came from dreams and turned them into an essence. It doesn’t have a form, but you can feel its power. Because of it, the gods changed”

“Changed?” Lynn asked confused

“They kinda turned evil, it was too mush power for us, yeah even I couldn’t control it” he answered her unasked question “we started killing randomly, we couldn’t judge right from wrong. A group of syldenians tried to stop us; they became what we call guardians—” suddenly he stopped and began to cough. Lynn was alarmed when she saw blood on his lips

“Shit, Alex—”
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like to know if you like the story so far.