When Dreams Aren’t Dreams

Chapter 26

After Lynn told Alexius what happened at the store and after they laughed their asses off. Then they continued their…what would you call it? ‘journey’ in a black Honda civic Alex stole. It wasn’t an expensive car and it was black….good choice, it wouldn’t call the attention of people. After telling Alex that he had to keep his eyes in the road, after seeing the car interiors, look thought all the papers of the owner, and change from radio-stations a lot to conclude that they had nothing good in the radio Lynn got bored. She took out a CD from the camouflage bag-pack she brought and inserted it on the car’s CD player. Soon instrumental music with a slight mix of rock was being played. Alex looked at her weirdly.

“It was the only decent thing there” she shrugged.

He chuckled.

“You know, I’ve been wondering…”

Alex turned his attention towards her

“Keep looking at the road!!” she snapped. He smirked, but turned his head forward.

“We’ve been taking a route very familiar to me” she said

“How’s that?” he asked, fighting the urge to look at her, fearing she would throw something at him for advert his eyes of the road.

“This is the road I usually took to go to my grandma’s house”

“Really?” this time he fully looked at her, and she actually threw him a shoe.

“Hey!” he dodged it, but lost the control of the car by a second

“Do you want to kill us both!!” he asked, his eyes wide open

“We won’t be killed at 24mph, besides I told you not to look away from the road” she narrowed her eyes at him “I don’t trust you with cars”

“It’s not my fault they attack us every time we have a car”

“Yes, actually it is”

“Anyway, what you were saying?”

“This is the road I took to my grandma’s house, it brings back memories” Lynn said, looking out the window

“I hope they’re good ones”

“Yeah, most of them…” she said “I had a brother”

“Had?” he asked, his voice low

“yep, he died…but I was wondering how’s the childhood of a god?”

He looked at her from the corner of his eyes, she looked okay, but he knew he shouldn’t push the subject about her brother further.

“Is not that interesting” he finally answered “we pass our first 50 years with our mothers, knowing nothing about our fathers… just rumors. They teach us to have balance and how to control our emotions. Then we pass another 50 years with our fathers developing skills and learning more about our powers. Then we pass the rest of our existence doing our duties as gods”

“Did you pass time with your brother?”

He smiled and nodded “We spent all our lives together”

“He’s a god too, right?” now she was very curious about this ‘god thing’

“Yes” he nodded “the god of war and my father is the god of death”

“This conversation is really weird” Lynn thought, but after what she’d seen all that passed months she was willing to believe even in gnomes

“Who’s the stronger god in your world?” she asked. There was a long pause and she saw as he switched uncomfortably on his seat. His hair covered his eyes and she couldn’t see his expression.

“I am” he said, almost inaudible

Wow! “I didn’t think dreams could be stronger than war or even pain dreams are not real after all”

He sighed “That’s the thing, powerful dreams can become reality. Everything can be a dream and a dream can be everything. Even war and pain can be dreams”

“Those would be nightmares”

This time he looked at her “Dreams can become nightmares too”

She shuddered when he said that. She wasn’t sure what he meant by that. His voice brought her back to reality

“What’s that?” he asked

She looked ahead “…a car” she answered

“I know, but why’s a car going at 159mph in a 30mph road… and it’s coming towards us!”

“Oh! F*ck!!! He’s gonna crash against us!!!” Lynn yelled pulling up her legs to her chest.