Beyond the World

How Could This Happen?

Lunch time.

It’s so boring, yet awesome. We don’t even need an hour to eat; I think they just want to give the teachers a break from all us idiots. Because literally, all the dumb brain dead preps are idiots. I’m not even kidding here, they can hardly read a book without screaming “OH MY GOD I GOT A PAPER CUT ON MY PERFECT FINGER!” It disgusts me.

“Hello? Sky, you there?”

I shook my head and turned to see who was talking to me. It was Alex. Whoops. He doesn’t like when people don’t pay attention.

“Uh, yeah, hi, sorry Alex. What did you ask?”

“I asked where Lacey was… I haven’t talked to her all weekend. And she’s not here today. Do you know what happened to her?”

My heart started to beat kind of fast. It wasn’t normal for Lacey to miss a Monday, considering she and Alex had all their classes together. Uh oh.

“N-no, I don’t. But I think I know where she might be.”

Alex’s eyes got real wide, and he understood me immediately. We both said “Oh shit” at the same time, and all the rest of my friends stared at us.

“Sky, what’s wro…” Jake started, but I couldn’t hear the rest of it because Alex and I had gotten up and ran into the hallway, my cell phone in my hand.

I dialed Lacey’s cell number, my heart racing and my hand shaking.

“H-hello?” Lacey answered, it sounded like she’d been crying.

“Lacey, how’s your brother? What happened?”

“H-he had a high fever over night… When we woke up he was hardly breathing. He’s here at the h-hospital right now. The doctors said they’re 90% sure he’ll make it, but I’m still worried.”

“Listen, Lacey. Everything is going to be alright, okay? Alex is here and he wants to talk to you.”

I handed the phone to Alex, then went back into the cafeteria, to give Alex some privacy.

**

“Sky, what the fuck just happened?” Jake asked as soon as I got back.

“Lacey… my best friend and Alex’s girlfriend… she wasn’t here today… her brother has medical issues… she never misses a Monday… he’s in the hospital… she’s worried… Alex is talking to her…” I sobbed into Jake’s shoulder. Lacey’s brother was like my older brother, we’re really close. Jake just held me close and kept whispering into my ear that everything would be alright.

Alex came back, his face white and stained with tears, his straightened black hair messy, probably from running his fingers through it while talking to Lacey.

I got up and hugged him, then pulled away. After he gave me my cell phone back, I asked, “So is she alright?”

“She’ll be fine. She said to go to the hospital after school.” He answered.

I nodded, and then we both sat back down. The table was relatively quiet for the rest of lunch.
♠ ♠ ♠
it's uber short, sorry.
i feel bad because i keep forgetting to update even though i have prewritten chapters
the next few chapters are also short-ish
hopefully chpt 9 will be up around Wednesday!
OH and title of the story is from Untitled by Simple Plan