Loser, Whatever!

Rick

It took me a while to remember I could apparate. I had been crying for the good part of an hour and I just wanted to go home. Wherever that was. Did I even have a home? He was my home, but it'll never work. I sighed, stood up and apparated to my rented home.

The school day was over, Rick had been walking me to the main entrance of the school so we could apparate back to where we were staying. I didn't have much homework, but homework meant time, and anything was a distraction. It was nearing suppertime, but I wasn't all that hungry, so I just spread some peanut butter on a few crackers and brought them to my room to get started on homework.

It only took about an hour to get all my homework done, I hoped that in the future I had more homework to consume time. But I was worn out from all that crying, and I tried to distract my brain with other things, but he kept entering my mind. I wonder what he's doing now. Has he gotten over me? Or is he in a similar state to the one I was in now? No, it had been over a year. He was strong, he could find someone else that wasn't hard to be with. It didn't take long for the tears to reappear and when they did, I undressed and crawled into bed where I cried myselfto sleep.

I slept late the next morning and had to scramble to get ready for school. I threw on a fresh set of robes, splashed cold water onmy faceand grabbed a banana on my way out the door. I sat next to Rick as I arrived right on time for our first class. He didn't mention yesterday, and I didn't dare bring it up, I just wanted to forget the whole thing.

The next day, he was more talkative and I was grateful because I definitely did not want to be the one to break the silence between us.

"I grew up in Barleduque in France. Though only my father was fluent in French. My mom wanted me to learn, something about how I'd be able to get a better job if I was bilingual, and I'm glad I did learn French. They seem to think that I'llbe the one looking after them when they're too old to look after themselves, so I thought I'd better get a good-paying job." He explained.

"Don't you have any siblings?" I asked.

"No, I'm an only child, you?"

"I have a brother, he's seven now." I calculated, wow, he had already had two birtdays without me. He was born at the beginning of September, so I just missed his sixth birthday when I left for Hogwarts and his seventh was just a few days ago.

"Really? That's quite the age difference." He commented.

"Oh, he wasn't the only sibling I had, I had a little sister when I was three and a brother when I was six, but they both died at birth. Then my parents waited a few more years before they had Kurt. They never really had much time for me, so I basically raised myself." This was the first time I had ever talked to anyone about this, other than Kasey, who knew everything, except the small fact that I was a Witch.

"I'm so sorry." Rick looked at the ground.

"It's okay, you would have found out anyway." I explained.

He smiled and wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we headed to our final class of the day, Potions. This felt wrong. I was so used to havinghis arm around my shoulders. I knew I needed to move on, it had been over a year, but I couldn't bring myself to.

About a week later, Rick spoke up.

"You're a really cool person, Bridgette. You're smart, the top of our year and mysterious. I feel that there's a lot more about you that I'd like to unravel. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think I could love you, and after all you've been through, I want to be there for you. Will you go out with me?" He poured one fateful Wednesday.

I stood there with my mouth agape and both of his hands on my shoulders. He was so sincere, and this was the oppertunity I had been looking for since school started. Wasn't it a bit fast? Could I ever learn to love again? My parents weren't here to mess this up for me, so I assumed there was only one way to find out.

"I'd love to."