Status: HIATUS!! Thinking about re-writing this story.

Save Me

Fire and Rage

{Matt}

The rest of the weekend passed uneventful and now it’s Monday. Time for school. In science class I saw that Rainy’s lip looked better and when she got up to leave it looked like her rib’s didn’t hurt anymore. I was glad about that. All through class Liz kept trying to talk to me but I wasn’t paying her any attention. She didn’t seem to like that.

After science the rest of the morning went by pretty slow. I kept thinking about my life and where I want it to go. I decided that I didn’t want Liz and them as my friends. I didn’t want to pretend to be like them anymore. I wanted to be myself and I was gonna change, starting today. I just hope I have the guts to do it.

First order of business: Lose Liz and her friends. That should be easy right? All I got to do is tell them I don’t want to be their friend anymore. Now when to tell them? That’s the question. I should do it soon. When the bell rang for lunch, I told Liz to go ahead and I would be out after I went to the bathroom. I had no plans of going out there, but I did have to pee. After I got done in the bathroom, I was walking down the empty halls and I heard voices coming from one of the other halls.

“Let her go you fuckers. Get off her.” I heard someone yell. As I got closer I heard someone else who sounded like Cole. Curiosity got the best of me and I walked slowly towards the voices. It sounds like maybe Cole and his buddies are messing with someone.

“Come on. Say something for me. Please.” I heard the one who sounded like Cole say.

“Get off me.” I heard and that voice sounded like Zack. I peeked around the corner and saw I was right. All the way down the hall, I saw Zack being held by three guys. He was trying to get to someone across the hall. I looked to where Zack was looking and saw the back of Cole. I saw Dean and some other kid holding onto someone’s arms. I couldn’t see who they were holding, but Cole was talking to that person. Then Cole turned his head to look at Zack. That’s when I saw who they had trapped. It was Rainy. My heart dropped to my stomach.

“What are you going to do about it, Baker?” Cole asked with a sneer. He turned back to Rainy. “Come on doll. Scream for me.” I watched as he raised his hand to her face. He trailed his fingers down her cheek and over her collarbone. I knew exactly where his hand was going. Rainy’s eyes were scrunched closed as he started to move his hand down to her chest. That got my blood boiling and before I knew it, I was stalking down the hall towards them.

“Get your fucking hands off her you bastard.” Zack yelled at Cole as he struggled against those pinning him against the wall. Cole just looked at him and smirked. Since his face was turned he didn’t notice Rainy bringing her knee up and getting him right between the legs. No one had noticed me coming towards them yet. I saw Cole bend over in pain. The others looked shocked and just stood there. Then Cole straightened up and looked Rainy in the eyes.

“You fucking bitch.” He spat and slapped her across the face. I heard Zack yelling but I couldn’t hear what he was saying. My blood was pounding in my ears as I got closer. Dean caught sight of me.

“Hey Sanders. You want in on this? Take your pick, Baker or Haner.” he said to me. I ignored him and walked right up to Cole, who was watching Rainy. I grabbed his shirt from behind and swung him into the wall. I pinned him against it and grabbed him around the throat. I looked at him with so much venom before I started to punch him in the face. My blood was boiling and I couldn’t understand it, I have never felt so protective over someone as I do for Rainy. After five or six punches I stopped and looked at him again.

“If you ever lay one finger on Rainy again, I swear to you that I will personally end your life.” I hissed. I saw the fear in his eyes and I enjoyed it. “Do you understand?” I asked him. He nodded his head furiously. I saw out of the corner of my eye that his friends had released Rainy and Zack. Zack was now holding onto Rainy.

I let Cole go and he slid to the floor. His friends went to help him up as I stepped away.

“We’ll get you for this, Sanders.“ Dean said to me.

“Go ahead. I dare you.“ When Cole was on his feet he snarled at me and I just laughed at him. They all turned and walked down the hall.

I turned and walked over to where Zack and Rainy were. She had her head against his chest while he had his arms wound tightly around her. I saw the left side of her face and saw tears falling. That sight broke my heart. Now I’ve never seen her cry before but I already knew I hated it. I never want to see her cry again if I can help it.

“What was that?” Zack asked me.

“Are you both okay?” I asked them ignoring Zack’s question.

“Yeah we’re fine, but why did you do that?” Zack asked.

“What, was I supposed to just walk away?”

“Anyone else would have. Some would have even joined in.”

“Well not me.”

“You know they’re gonna hate you now, right?” Zack asked.

“Yeah I know but I don’t care. I don’t want them as friends anyway.” I told him.

“Well thanks anyway. They’ve never done something like that before.” Zack said looking down at Rainy. I could see a bruise already forming on her cheek. He hasn’t let go of her but I also saw that she had stopped crying. She was looking at me. I smiled at her and she gave me a small smile in return.

“We better get going. The others are probably wondering where we are.” Zack said and he started to pull Rainy with him. She stopped him and looked back at me. Zack looked back and forth between her and me before understanding what she was indicating. “Do you want sit with us?” he asked.

“Sure.” I said. I’m going to sit with Rainy. This is good. But I’ll also be sitting with Brian and them. What are they going to say about it? Now I’m starting to get a little nervous. What if they freak out that Zack asked me to sit with them? What if they don’t want me there and tell me to leave?

'Okay. Stop. You don’t know that’s what’s gonna happen.'

'But it might. What would I do if it did?'

'It’s not gonna happen so stop worrying.'

'I can’t help it. I like these guys and I want to be their friend.'

'Then be yourself. Your real self.'

'Easier said than done.'

I stopped talking to myself as I walked outside with Zack and Rainy. When we got to the tree where they sit, I saw Brian look at Rainy and saw her tear streaked face. He got up and went to her with the other two following.

“Are you okay? What happened?” he asked now examining her cheek, which a red hand print had started to show.

“Cole and his goons.” Zack answered. As Zack explained what happened I could see their eyes fill with anger. I’m willing to bet it took all they could not to go and beat that shit out of Cole and his friends. When Zack got to the part where I came and helped them, they all looked over at me. “Rainy wanted him to sit with us.” Zack finished.

“Why would you do that? I thought you were friends with them?” Johnny asked me.

“Not really. It’s just those are the kind of people my parents want me to be friends with, but they’re not the kind of friends I want.” I told them.

“You know they’re gonna turn on you and mess with you now, right?” Jimmy said.

“Let them. I don’t care.” I said shrugging.

“So your not really like them?” Johnny asked.

“The only thing I have in common with them, is that my folks are rich. Other than that, no. I don’t listen to the same music as them, I don’t like the same clothes as them. If my mom didn’t make me get this shit,” I said pointing to the clothes I have on, “I would be wearing band tees and ripped jeans.”

“What kind of music you like?” Brian asked me.

“Rock and Metal. I’m a huge Guns N’ Roses fan. Along with Poison, Pantera, Nirvana and others.” I said. They looked like they were all shocked that I even knew who those bands were let alone listened to them. After telling them that, they seemed to be okay with me, though I could tell they were still a little apprehensive about me. I could totally understand that.

“Well what are we gonna do about Cole?” Johnny asked.

“Oh don’t worry. They’ll pay.” Brian seethed.

“How?” Johnny asked.

“I’m not sure yet.” Brian answered. He was holding Rainy close and she had her head resting on his shoulder. I could tell that the two of them are really close. Hell I could see that all five of them were extremely close. Bonds like the one these five have don’t come along often. They’re really lucky to have each other in their lives. Kinda makes me a little jealous and a little sad at the same time cause I haven’t got that with anyone.

Lunch went on with them asking me questions about myself and I told them that I didn’t want to pretend anymore. I wanted to be my true self. I told them when I go home today, I am going to throw all my preppy shit out. I was gonna put up all my band posters that I’ve collected over the years. I knew my parents would be pissed but I honestly don’t care anymore. I’m tired of being someone I’m not.

When the bell rang no one made to get up. Zack said he didn’t fell like staying at school after what happened and when he asked Rainy if she wanted to stay, she shook her head. The others agreed that they wanted to leave. Then they looked at me.

“What about you ‘Richie’?” Jimmy asked me. “You wanna skip with?”

“Sure.” I replied. I’ve been getting a feeling that Jimmy doesn’t like me very much.

“Alright. Who’s house we going to?” Zack asked. “We can’t go to mine cause mom’s home.”

“My mom’s probably home.” Johnny said.

“Yeah, Ray and Maria are probably home also.” Brian said.

“I don’t got a home.” Jimmy stated.

“We could go to mine. My folks won’t be home till tomorrow night.” I suggested. They all exchanged looks before agreeing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, well I'm back. Sorry I took awhile.

This story is off hiatus but I've decided to take my time with it. I don't want to rush through it only to have it come out like crap.

So let me know what you think.

L.