Status: Hiatus.

She Said, She Said

you're not stuck in vain

“Valerie, stop hogging the bathroom!” An annoyed voice sounded through the bathroom door, followed by a chorus of loud knocks.

I rolled my eyes, and dried my hair with the light green towel. I looked into the mist-covered mirror, and reached out to wipe it. Immediately, I saw my face staring back at me. I had dark brown spots under my eyes, and my face looked even thinner than before. My lips drooped down into a frown as if someone had permanently pulled them to be that way. I poked my cheek, and sighed before opening the door, and strolling out.

“Finally!” Sylvia exclaimed dramatically, puffing up her cheeks, and sticking out her tongue.

I watched her go into the misty bathroom, and shut the door behind her. After a few seconds of me staring at the white door, I walked closer to the window, and looked out.

The world outside was brightly lit up by the luminous sun, its fiery rays warming my face. I squinted, and rubbed at my eyes. I looked down at my blue bathrobe, remembering I still had to get dressed. Just as I was about to go towards my closet, there was a knock at the door. My face twisted into confusion, wondering who it could be. Probably one of the nurses.

I struggled with the wheelchair, and went over to the door. Opening it slowly, I saw Caleb’s emotionless face looming in the doorway. He looked me over, and averted his eyes, his cheeks a little pink. Blood rushed to my own face when I realized why he was blushing.

“What?” I retorted rudely, glaring at him. A voice at the back of my head told me to stop treating him the way I was, but I pushed it away, folding my arms across my chest consciously. I don’t know what I had been thinking when I’d decided I’d give him another chance. When I had tried to make small talk the other day, he’d rudely told me that I was a bitch, and that I needed to stop blaming other people for my misery. That was enough for me to decided how I really felt about that inconsiderate jerk.

“Mia Gyles, your Physiotherapist, sent me here to get you,” he mumbled, his eyes flicking to my face for a second. When he saw the blank stare I gave him, he explained, “She wants to meet you because she didn’t get the chance that day.”

I nodded, remembering she’d been with another patient. A heavy silence hung in the air, until I realized he was supposed to stay with me until I was ready. So, with a grunt, I invited him in. He looked at me oddly, and strolled inside, dragging his feet. With a glance around the room, he shoved his hands deep into his pockets, and looked at his shoes. I realized there was no place for him to sit, and motioned to my bed. Without a word, he went and sat down, staring at the floor.

“So, nice room you’ve got here,” he murmured, his eyes surveying the room once more. I didn’t know if he was making fun of me, or trying to be sarcastic, but either way, I knew something was up. Why else would he be talking to me?

“What are you up to?” I accused, trying to make my glare as menacing as possible.

He stared at me for a while before shaking his head. “What are you talking about?”

“Stop trying to act innocent,” I snapped. “Obviously you’re up to something; why else would you be talking to me?” I spoke my thoughts out loud.

“Maybe I’m trying to be nice,” he growled, a callous look in his eyes. “Not that you would know what that means.”

“Ah, back to being a despicable asshole, I see.” My voice was amused, calm.

Caleb looked at me for a second before smirking. He shook his head slowly.

“What?” I barked, fury clear in my voice. When he said nothing, only gave me a fake smile, I commanded, “Get out!”

He didn’t move. Instead, to my shock, he kicked off his shoes, and sat on my bed, his legs crossed. I was sure there was smoke coming out of the top of my head by now.

“I’m fine, thanks for the offer, though.” He clucked his tongue, and glared at me.

“This is my room,” I stated the obvious. “Now, get out or I’ll call the nurse.”

He didn’t look one bit concerned. I opened, and closed my mouth a few times, trying to say something. Then, finally, I whispered, “What’s your problem?”

For a second, it seemed as if he hadn’t heard me. Then, a quiet voice spoke up, surprising me, “You.”

I could help but chuckle; such a typical answer. My head hurt. Caleb was the most confusing boy I’d ever met. First, he’s a jerk, and insults me every chance he gets, then suddenly he’s all quiet, and innocent. I really didn’t get him.

“Look,” I started, looking up. To my surprise, he was staring at me intently, his eyebrows furrowed as if he was trying to find the answer to an impossible question. I blushed, and looked at my lap, picking at the small blue threads of my bathrobe. “The other day,” I tried again, “I was just trying to be nice – I didn’t want to invade your privacy or anything.”

His eyes widened a bit at hearing my voice. Then, slowly, carefully, he replied, “I know.”

“Then why’d you snap at me like that?” I asked, searching his face for an answer.

“Because I’m not here to make friends,” he replied, bitterly. “And you’re annoying.”

I chose to ignore the last part. “Well, I don’t want to be your friend; I just don’t want us to hate each other.”

He didn’t seem even a little offended by what I’d said. “I don’t hate you.”

I nodded. “Well, I just want…your help, so I can get out of here.” Actually, that wasn’t entirely true. For a strange, unknown reason, I didn’t want to leave, because I had no idea where I would go, where I would live. No one had talked to me about that, and I guess I didn’t mind, but I had to accept the fact that I might be put up for adoption, or maybe have to stay in a foster home. Either way, I knew I wouldn’t be going back to my home – my real home.

“I’d switch places with you any day,” he muttered.

I gawked at him. “Are you crazy? Trust me, you don’t want to be in my situation.” I laughed nervously.

“No, I’m not crazy,” he stated, his eyes staring into mine. He blinked then, averted his eyes elsewhere. “You guys get treated like royalty compared to how we get treated.”

“I’m sure it’s not that bad,” I commented.

“Oh yeah?” he challenged, his eyes narrowed. He help up a finger, and started counting off reasons, “Our rooms are half the size of yours, we’re searched every time we leave our room, we even have to ask for permission to take a damn piss!” He looked at me with a sour smile, “Need I go on?”

I peered at him, shaking my head. “I, uh, I’m sorry.”

“Whatever.” He looked at the clock on the wall. “We should get going.”

I shook my head. “I have to get dressed.”

Caleb gave me an odd look. “Then, get dressed?” He asked, slowly.

“Sylvia’s in the bathroom, and,” I glanced around, “there’s no other place to change around here.”

A nurse poked her head in through the doorway. “Don’t come outside for the next fifteen minutes; the janitors are about to mop the floors, and it’s going to be real slippery out here.” With that, she disappeared.

Caleb groaned. “Great.”

“Hey, I’m not that bad, am I?” I grinned.

“Yes, actually, you are.” He glared.

“I swear, you have the worst mood swings ever!” I taunted. “One minute you’re all happy-go guy, and the next you’re back to being an asshole.”

“Yeah, well, you aren’t a cup of tea, either, so I suggest you stop talking,” he pointed out, grabbing the remote off of the bedside table, and flipping on the TV.

A loud knock startled us both. A voice from inside the bathroom called my name.

“Yeah?” I yelled, waving my hand at Caleb to turn down the volume.

“I forgot my shirt!” Sylvia yelled from inside.

I rolled my eyes, and went over to her messy closet. Pulling out a random purple t-shirt, I wheeled over to the white door. I knocked twice, and waited for her to open the door. After hearing squeaks from the wheelchair, Sylvia’s face suddenly appeared, and I handed her the shirt. Before she could close the door, I whispered, “Hurry up! And Caleb’s here.”

Her eyes widened slightly. “Why didn’t you tell me that before?”

I shrugged, and stuck out my tongue. She rolled her eyes before slamming the door in my face. I glared at the door, offended, and then went over to Sylvia’s bed. My butt hurt from sitting on the wheelchair for so long. After a little while of arguing with myself, I looked over at Caleb whose eyes were fixed on the TV screen, where a band was playing heavy metal music.

“Help, please,” I spoke. He didn’t seem to hear me. “Help, please!” I said, a little louder.

Caleb’s gaze landed on me. He looked annoyed, but got up, and came over.

“Just hold the wheelchair,” I commanded. He nodded.

Ever so slowly, I tried to pull myself up, but failed, and landed back into my recent position. Caleb looked at me, and tried to help, but I smacked at his hand. He pulled his arm back, and glared, angry. I tried again, but ended up the same way. Giving up, I held up my arms like a child. Caleb put his arms under mine, and held me up. He was so close to me, I could smell him. He smelled like smoke, cologne, and something else I didn’t recognize.

Then, carefully, he rested a hand on my back, and placed me on the bed, like I was some kind of an object. I mumbled a ‘thank-you’ quietly. His face loomed close to mine for a second, before he gave a grunt, and walked back to sit on my bed.

“How old are you?” I asked suddenly.

Caleb ignored me.

“Hello, are you deaf?”

“Shut up,” he mumbled, chewing on his nails.

“Tell me,” I ordered.

He sighed. “Sixteen. Now shut up.”

“Hey, you’re older than me.” I smiled at him.

“That’s nice.”

I gave up, and rolled my eyes.

The door to the bathroom opened, and out came Sylvia, smelling like strawberries, a towel wrapped tightly around her head. Her green eyes looked at me, and then at Caleb, questioning. I explained to her why he was there, and she nodded.

“Now, go get dressed,” Caleb said without taking his eyes off the TV screen.

I realized he was right, and after getting into my wheelchair, went over to my closet. I picked out a plain green shirt and baggy black shorts that most likely went past my knees. Good, I thought, I don’t want anybody to see those ugly stumps, anyway.

After changing, I checked the clock; it had been over half an hour since the nurse had told us not to come outside, so I thought it’d be okay to go outside. I told Sylvia where we were going, and motioned Caleb to come along. He looked at the TV screen for a minute or two longer, and then came to stand behind me. Slowly, he started pushing me out of the room as I gave Sylvia a goodbye wave, and smiled.