Poison's Exile

The Sad Truth

I am pacing the entirety of my floor. The cool feel of the marble against my bare feet sent shivers up my spine. Huntington had betrayed me to my crown's foe with no regard for my life. He had given up or rather created what we had for the money the enemy had offered him. The man I loved tried to rid of me and worse he tried to blind me before doing so. He had no courage to take me out while staring into my face. I allow my angry to fester before the knock had come from my door.

“My daughter." My mother enters, I bow showing her respect.

“My queen. To what do I owe such an honor, mother?” I ask humbling myself in her presence.

“I have heard the news my sweet girl. I was saddened that thy love has betrayed thee so. T’was wrong of him and I delight that he will pay for his crime to our kingdom.” She sweep the room with the train of her grand dress and walks onto the balcony.

“What ever happened to honor, mother. Why is it so easy to buy men? Tis a shame what this world is coming to. We are almost like the humans.” I look over at her, knowing that what I have just uttered will be hateful to her ears.

My mother eyes widen in horror and she shook her head.

“Such nonsense dear.” She kisses my forehead. “We are nothing of the sort. You rest Poison, we have to address our people later on this matter.”

“I will see to it mother.” I bowed once again and she left the room.

I try to sleep but sleep did not come to me. The pain in my heart would not allow it. I am, instead, forced to listen to the dragons roar outside my window. I did not think of the warrior Cliff, who save my life as I had once thought of Huntington. I did not think of the tree that suffered and surely felt in agony at the end of Huntington’s sword. I only thought of my pain and my foley to love such a brute. He let me know nothing of him yet still I fell for his. I am disgusted with myself. I feel foolish and unfit to wear my crown. I pull the pins that help hold my crown out and throw on into edge of my bed. My hair spilling down my back as my tears fall. I have failed my people and my mother. I became to preoccupied with such silly things as emotions.

At sunrise Huntington will die for his crimes to the crown and with him will flee a piece of me. I grab the mix that lay on my bed side table and being to drink. Soon I will be rid of the poison that he filled my life with.

_________________________________________

In the morning Huntington pled with me for mercy until his very last breath and all I did was look away from him. My people can not have a weak queen, which one day I will be. So once again my people come before me. I storm up to my room afterwards and lock my door. I didn't know that Cliff had awaited me.

“Princess.” He bows and then he straightens. “I have come on the behalf of her highness to protect you.”

I stare him up and down. Cliff had black hair that fell past his shoulders in gentle waves. His skin was the color of the earth soil when turned to mud. Or was it a tad lighter? His eyes captivated me, the where a light hazel brown in a slant and they held wisdom and patience. there was a kindness there that I have only seen in Lilian's eyes. He was taller than Huntington had been and he held more honor in his stance than he ever did.

“I need not to be protected.” I said in a louder tone than was necessary.

I simply wanted to be left alone.

“I will stay here Princess. You life is in danger, just because the pawn was killed does not mean the master does not have others.” His voice was soothing almost as if it twas magic. It lauds away all my ill feeling making me temperament.

I know that I have no choice because my mother has ordered it. I sit on my bed. He steps back to give me room.

“Princess Twas folliey of you not to speak out when he called for you. Yes he was a traitor to the crown but a dying man he was still.”

“I will think of that next time warrior.” I turn from him.

“Hath the sweetest of dreams.”

Such a strange man I thought as I laid in my bed.