Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 23

The next couple of days I racked my brain thinking of something to get Joe for his birthday, something he would love. Kevin, Nick and I all went to a mall before the show in Las Vegas, the day before his birthday to try and find Joe a present. We all went in and instantly separated; I had no idea what I was looking for so I just wondered around going in and out of stores. I finally saw a Guitar Center and knew that’s where I’d find it.

I walked in and went to the acoustic guitar room, only to find Kevin standing there, “Ah, looks like someone’s slacking, looking for yourself?” He aughed a little, “No, I already got his present, what were you thinking?” I looked around the room, “Well he’s been playing your old acoustic, I wanted to buy him one.” Kevin nodded, “Help me, which one’s good? Which one does he have his eye on?” Kevin turned around and pointed to a glass case that lined the back wall, “That one, the Johnny Cash commemorative all black acoustic, mom and dad say he doesn’t play guitar enough to get it, but I believe he would kill for it.” Kevin laughed. “Then that’s what I want.” I turned to go get a worker but Kevin grabbed my arm, “Kayden, that guitar is really, expensive.” I smiled, “He’s worth it.” He shook his head, “Alright.”

I went and found a worker, “I want that one.” I pointed to it, “Are you serious?” he asked. I nodded, “Yup, that’s the one.” He shrugged and opened the case and carefully placed it in a case lined in red velvet and walked with me to the front desk to check out. Kevin was right, that guitar costs me a pretty penny, I dipped into my savings for this one.

We got a cab back to the bus, and showed our presents, Nick drooled over the guitar and tossed me the Marc Jacobs bag that held shoes and sunglasses he bought and Kevin showed me the blazer he bought and the Starbucks gift card, go figure. We got back to the bus, “Um, where do I hide this?” I asked. “Oh—I—uh, we’ll hide it on my side of the closet, he never looks there." Kevin said. I nodded, “Okay good, I’ll go in and distract him, you two hide the presents.” They both nodded and I ran onto the bus, Joe was laid out on the couch watching TV. “Hi, honey, how was your day?” He tore his eyes from the TV and held his arms out to me, “Boring.” I laid on top of him, “Aww.” I pecked his lips, “I’m sorry.” He lifted his head and brushed his lips against mine, “I missed you.” I kissed him again, “But I found your present.” I smiled to him, a huge grin lifted on his face. “I told you not to get me anything.” I shrugged, “You’re going to love it.”

“I love you.” He said kissing my nose. I laughed and laid my hands on his shoulders and turned so my back was against the couch and he faced me. I saw Nick and Kevin’s curly heads by the door and pulled Joe to me and my lips found his, he instantly kissed back and they ran past us, Joe never noticed and that made me laugh, he pulled back, “What?” I shook my head, “Nothing, you’re just cute.” He smiled and leaned in to kiss me again but someone cleared their throat, I looked up to see Kevin and Nick, “Time to get over to the venue.”

We got to the venue and the show went great, as usual, we went and ate at a small diner after the show and drug ourselves onto the bus, we all got ready for bed and climbed into our beds, I cuddled into Joe and looked at the clock in our bunk, 11:57, I had three minutes to stall, “Are you excited for your birthday tomorrow?” He nodded, “Yeah, you’ll be here.” I didn’t have to see his face I could hear the smile in his voice and let out a small laugh. I waited a few moments and checked the clock, 12:01; I pulled back, “Happy Birthday, Joseph.” He rustled around and looked at the clock, “Thank you, you’re the only one I want to spend it with.” I smiled and found his lips, we got really into it and Joe ended up on top of me running his hands down my sides to the top of my shorts, his hands moved down further, “Joe, don’t.” I lowly whispered in his ear, “Your brothers are right there.” He rolled over, “Damn them.” I stifled a laugh and rolled into him. “I love you.” He wrapped his arms around me, “I love you too.”

The next morning we woke up to Nick and Kevin singing quite obnoxiously I looked up to Joe who groaned but had a huge smile on his face, “It’s my birthdayyyy.” He said in a sing song voice. We spent the whole day doing whatever Joe wanted to do. Which was included but not limited to a rollercoaster, a petting zoo, and a bar of course, since he was legal now, he felt it was his obligation to buy a drink. Whatever. We ate lunch with his whole family and the band, the whole situation feels like it never happened all awkwardness is gone, but I still had that worry in the pit of my stomach.

The night was all mine though, I loaded his present into the car I had called for earlier in the day while I told Joe to go get ready. Later, we climbed into the car and the driver drove us out of Las Vegas and we drove a few minutes before the car stopped, we stepped out, I went to the back and grabbed the guitar case, “Are you gunna sing to me? He asked. I just smiled and grabbed his hand, “Come on.” I led him to a picnic I had set up, in the middle of the desert, we were completely alone and the scenery was beautiful, like I had expected it to be, you could see the stars and it was perfect. I had gotten take out and brought a blanket, we ate by moon and candlelight. After we ate, I pulled the case onto my lap, so the opening faced him.

“Ooh, are you going to sing now?” I laughed, “Nope, this is for you.” I saw his eyes light up as he popped open the clasps on the case, he looked at me before he lifted open the top. A small gasp escaped his lips as he ran his hand across the smooth surface, “I can’t believe you.” He whispered not taking his eyes off the guitar. He picked it up out the case and softly strummed it. “Do you know how long I’ve wanted this?” He asked me. I just smiled at him, he was in awe, it was cute. He set the guitar back in the case, “I can’t believe you got me that guitar, that’s a lot, you didn’t have to do that.” I shrugged, “You’re worth it.” He smiled, “I love you, so much.” I wrapped my arms around his neck, “I love you too.” He stared at me for a few moments, “Are you going to kiss me now or am I going to have to beg?”

He leaned forward and his soft lips met mine, I laid back and he hovered over me, never letting his lips leave mine, things slowly escalated and soon, there we lay, both only in our underwear, Joe had pulled the extra blanket onto us, suddenly he stopped and looked at me, he just stared at me, “What?” I asked somewhat out of breath. “You’re so beautiful.” He said letting his eyes wander all over me, I smiled and fingered the ends of his hair, “You’re beautiful.” I said smiling half way through my sentence. He kissed me again and I let my hands trail down and tug at his boxers his fingers latched around the lining of my underwear and pushed them down and I slipped my legs out of them, his eyes locked with mine and he slowly slid in between my legs, I moaned and gripped onto his shoulder at the contact and my legs lifted off the ground and I arched my back into him, his pace stayed slow and steady, his eyes never left mine, a layer of sweat was starting to build on our skin, our bodies moved as one, and I tangled my hands into the hair on the back of his head, I found myself lowly moaning his name and letting my eyes drift shut due to the intense pleasure Joe was driving me to. His breathing had become heavier and a moan would fall from his lips, he increased his pace and my hands gripped his back, digging into his shoulders, “Oh. My God.” I breathed out, I heard him moaning my name and I dug my fingers into his back as my whole body tightened and then released itself, “Joe!” I yelled out before he pulled away from me. He turned and picked up a napkin and was wiping the top of my thigh, I propped myself up on my elbows and looked at him questioningly, his eyes met mine, he scratched the back of his neck, “I-um-I pulled out before—” He was blushing and I felt bad, I patted the spot next to me, “Come here.” He lay next to me and I turned to face him, “Thank you, you take such good care of me, I love you.” He smiled and moved the hair from my face, “I can’t help but care for you, I feel like that’s what I was born to do, I love you too.” He beamed at me and kissed my forehead. My heart melted, it felt like my birthday, he had just said the sweetest thing possible after he made love to me under the stars, wow.

We got dressed and picked up all our things and made our way back to the bus, everyone was already asleep and I quietly changed and climbed into our bunk as Joe laid his guitar into the empty bunk above Kevin, I laughed as he changed and climbed in next to me, “Did you have a good birthday?” I asked as I snuggled into his warm chest. He nodded and softly whispered, “Best one yet, because of you.” I smiled, “I love you Joe.” He tightened his grip around me, “I love you too Kayden.”

The next day we were spending the whole day driving to Washington so we were laying around watching movies, I got up to go to the bathroom and when I shimmied my underwear down I got the best surprise ever, that usually isn’t so welcoming but it made me happy, “Oh thank God.” I breathed out. I finished in the bathroom and walked into the hall, “Joe come here!” I called out to him, he appeared in the hall a few minutes later, “What’s up, babe?” he asked. “Uhm, we need to stop at the store.” He looked at me confused, “Why? What do you need?” He asked. “Tampons.” I stated simply shrugging my shoulders, he looked slightly grossed out before his face broke into a huge grin, he grabbed my waist and lifted me into the air planting small kisses on my lips. He smiled and pulled back and looked at me, “How do you feel?” he asked. “Relieved.” I told him truthfully, “I don’t think I’m ready for that yet.” He nodded, “Me either, I want to wait until we have a house for our kids.” I cocked my head and smiled at him, “Our kids?” I asked. He nodded, “Yeah, after I marry you.” He said simply and I smiled and kissed him, “I love you.” He set me down, “I love you too.” He said as he set his forehead on mine and rubbed his nose against mine. God did I love when he did that.

We moved back to the front of the bus, informed everyone of the stop we needed to make and settled back on the couch for the long trip ahead.