Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 30

Joe has been gone for two weeks, they practically flew by, he’d be back in I was so busy at the studio trying to get Quin situated. She was taking on more responsibilities than I had when I worked there and I was helping her get started. Joe and I talked every day, and we were both handling this surprisingly well.

Joe would be back in a week just in time for Christmas Eve and I couldn’t be happier. I was currently in the conference room with Quin and we were tying bows on invitations and mailing them out. We were almost halfway done when my phone started buzzing across the table. I jumped up and answered it quickly, “Hi Joe.” I said into the phone.

“Hey Kay. What are you doing?” He asked dragging out his words.

I let out a sigh, “Quin and I are sending out invitaions.”

“And how’s that going?” He asked.

“Just wonderful,” I said sarcastically.

“Great, we’re about to go into an interview, get the laptop and listen?” He said, crashing all of his words together.

“Yeah.” I paused telling Quin I’d be right back, “Why do you want me to listen so bad?”

I could hear his smile in his voice, “Just because.”

I grabbed the laptop and power chord and headed back to the conference room while Joe told me about how Nick tripped on the way down the bus stairs this morning and how he is currently wearing a band aid under his right eye. I was laughing, “He looks like Nelly, it’s pretty awesome,” Joe laughed. I heard a loud thud and, “Shut up Joe!” This caused me to laugh harder. “Nick, dude, watch it.”

“Hey babe, we gotta go, they’re calling us, listen please, please.”

“Joe I got it, I’m on the station’s website now, I love you, bye.”

“Love you too, k bye.”

I pulled up the live listening section and went back to the invitations, Quin was shaking her head at me, “You two make me sick.” She said laughing to herself. I shrugged and smiled at her, “Why does he want you to listen so bad?” She asked. I shrugged, “I don’t really know, I never know with him.”

I listened to the radio show, the typical interview questions, wondering what was so important about this interview that I just HAD to listen to.

Then something caught my attention.

INTERVIEWER: So I hear you guys are going to sing a brand new song today?

JOE: Yup, it’s never been heard.

INTERVIEWER: Wow! Never been heard?

NICK: Yeah, it’s fresh, Joe wrote it not to long ago.

INTERVIEWER: So Joe’s the writer? What was your inspiration, man?

JOE: The most amazing person I’ve ever met in my life.

I could hear the smile in his voice and my smile grew, Quin looked over at me and raised her eyebrows, “You’re face is going to get stuck like that.” She laughed. I put my finger over my lips telling her to be quiet.

INTERVIEWER: Ah, a person with the name, Kayden?

JOE: Yup, that’s her.

INTERVIEWER: So, why’d you write it?

JOE: Just being away from her, it made me think, how much I love her and how there’s no doubt in my mind that we were meant to be.

INTERVIEWER: So this was written within, what? Like the last two weeks?

KEVIN: Yeah, Joe brought the lyrics to Nick and I one night on the bus and we just started putting a melody to the words.

NICK: And it all got put together from there.

JOE: And I wanted to sing it today.

INTERVIEWER: Alright guys, well here are the Jonas Brothers with their brand new, never been heard before song, Me and You.

I heard his voice and completely stopped everything I was doing and stared at the picture of him and his brothers on the radio station’s website, I was captivated.

Ordinary no, really don't think so
Not a love this true
Common destiny
We were meant to be
Me and you

Like a perfect scene from a movie screen
We're a dream come true
Suited perfectly for eternity
Me and you

Every day, I need you even more
And the night time too
There's no way
I could ever let you go
Even if I wanted to

Every day I live
Try my best to give
All I have to you
Thank the stars above
That we share this love Me and you

Every day, I need you even more
And the night time too
There's no way
I could ever let you go
Even if I wanted to

Ordinary no, I really don't think so
Just a precious few
Ever make it last
Get as lucky as
Me and you
Me and you

(Me & You – Kenny Chesney – I don not own)

I felt the tears coming, I missed him, I missed him a lot, I wanted him with me, I had managed to distract myself from him for the past couple of weeks but now that I heard him telling me how much he loved me in that song, I just wanted to hold him and hug him, but I couldn’t. Quin was staring at me wide eyed, “Wow.” She said quietly. “That was…wow.” I weakly smiled at her as she turned her attention back to the invitations shaking her head slightly.

I heard the interviewer telling the boys bye and the tears silently slid down my cheeks. I hadn’t moved as a song started flowing through the speakers of the laptop. I shut it down and stood and brought it back into the empty studio next door.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, I took it out, ‘Joe’ I quickly answered, “Joe.” I said and my voice came out breathier than expected, slightly croaking at the end, due to my crying. “Kayden, baby, why are you crying?” I tried to sniffle back the tears, “Because I love you and that was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard.” I sniffled again, “But…” he said softly. I let out a sob, “But I miss you.” I said my tears coming more freely and it was getting harder to hold in the sobs wanting to escape.

“Kayden, I miss you, so much.” He let out a sigh. “But I’ll be back before you know it, one week, I’ll be there.” I sunk into the couch in the studio, “I know, but I just want you now.” I cried harder and could no longer hold back my sobs. He paused for a few moments just letting me cry and get a hold of myself. “Kayden…” He was upset, I could hear it in his voice, if he wasn’t crying already, he was about to. “Please don’t cry, I know you miss me, because I miss you just as much, but one week, babe, one week, we can do it.” His voice was calming me, one week wasn’t that bad. I could do this.

My crying died down a little, and I wiped my face, “Okay.” I said letting out a long breath, “I’m good.” He waited a few seconds before he said something, “I love you.” I smiled, “That was random, but I love you too.” He laughed a little, “Did you smile?” My smile grew, “Yes.”

“That’s what I was going for.” I laughed into the phone, “You’re amazing.”

“Well thank you my dear but I am currently about to get left at this radio station, so I’ll talk to you later and see you in six days.”

“Okay, have a good concert tonight, it’s airing on ABC, right?”

“Yup, you better watch.”

“You know I will, I love you.”

“I love you too, bye.”

I made my way back to the conference room, “You okay?” Quin asked noticing my puffy eyes and tear stained face. “Yeah, I’m good.” I smiled.

“So, what’d you get Joe for Christmas?” she asked while we continued with the invitations.

I snapped my head and looked over to her, “Oh shit! I haven’t even thought about that, Oh my God, what am I going to do?”

She shrugged, “Is there something he wants?” She asked. “No, he buys whatever he wants, I have to be creative.”

“Ugh I am not the creative thinker.” She said, “Good luck with that.”

“Well, thanks you Quin, you’re such an amazing friend.” I laughed at her.

She shrugged, “I try.”

We finished the invitations and were out of the studio by seven. “Bye Quin, and Merry Christmas if I don’t talk to you before then.” I said giving her a hug. “You too Kay, have fun with Joe.” She said as we went our separate ways in the parking garage.

We had the week before Christmas off, but it was back to work after Christmas to help with the huge New Years Eve party that we couldn’t even go to.

I ran by the Jonas’ and picked up Kipp from Frankie, we paid him twenty dollars a day to watch him and even though he didn’t care about the money I felt better paying him instead of dumping my dog on him all day long.

I got home and started thinking of a Christmas present for Joe. I walked around the house trying to get an idea when something hit me. I ran into my closet and grabbed the shoeboxes that sat on the top shelf of the closet that contained all the pictures Joe and I had ever taken and started searching.

I pulled out my absolute favorites from each box and laid them out. I finally picked my three favorites and put them next to my purse to take care of the next day.

I pulled out my phone and called Mack, she usually came over after work and we hung out, she was hilarious, and we have become really good friends, and personally, I think she had a thing for Kevin, and even though she denied it, I knew she did.

When Mack got there we settled down in front of the TV with Kipp and waited for the Jonas Brothers concert.

We watched the whole thing and laughed and sang along and danced like we were actually at the concert. It was our routine, it started the second concert we watched on TV, I really missed Joe and she was trying to cheer me up so she got up and danced like an idiot, I laughed and ended up joining her. From there on out, that’s what we did, Hutch joined us a couple of times but he made us swear not to tell anyone, it was rather hysterical.

We flopped down on the couch after we couldn’t move anymore and I heard Joe’s voice, “We are going to play an old one tonight guys, is that okay?” I heard the audience erupt into a huge roar, “Alright, I know someone who needs to hear this so, here’s Hello Beautiful.” He smiled.

Joe sang the entire song and then looked directly into the camera and held his hand over his heart and pointed into the lens, winked, and mouthed, ‘I love you.’

I returned the gesture, even though I knew he couldn’t see me and whispered, “I love you too.” With a huge smile on my face.