Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 36

Joe and I walked out of the park side by side, hand in hand, smiling like two idiots who just won the lottery. Once we reunited with the rest of the group, it was well past 2 A.M. They all asked questions and looked at us expecting us to fill them in on what happened to cause our fight and what happened to mend us back together. We just smiled, keeping our eyes on each other and answered simply…

“It doesn’t matter anymore, we’re okay now.” Joe spoke those words to his family when we met up with them in the hotel lobby. They all seemed pretty peeved that they were left in the unknown but at this point I didn’t care because the hole that I had created in my heart was filled the minute his lips touched mine, I knew it would all be okay.

We all decided to turn in for the night; it had been quite exhausting for all of us. Joe and I laid in bed, unable to sleep, too caught up in each other to actually shut our eyes. Our faces were mere inches apart, his arm lying lazily on my waist, mine rested on his forearm, just staring at each other. Joe finally broke the silence, “I love you.” He said, his words bringing on a huge grin. An equally as big grin lifted onto my face, “I love you too.” I whispered. We laid there for a long, silent while and Joe propped himself up on his elbow staring down at me.

“Can we talk about the wedding?” A flock of butterflies swarmed in my stomach at the mention of our wedding. I smiled, “Sure.” I was happy he was so willing to discuss this. “What do you want to talk about?” He smiled down at me, “I want to know what you want.” He said poking my nose. “What I want?” I asked “Everything you want.” He clarified. “Well…” I sighed. “I want to have it in L.A. because that’s where everyone we know lives, um preferably outside, like in a tent or something….at night…with a lot of candles, I like the whole black and white theme, like black bridesmaids dresses and maybe get everyone to wear black or silver, black will be easy for the guys, just like a black suit, I don’t know about the women, I mean it wouldn’t be hard to find a black or silver dress…” I rambled on, I looked up at Joe, he looked amused, and he had his eyebrows raised, “But I don’t want to be too complicated, you know? I asked. He simply nodded and I continued, “Flowers, I like red roses, maybe…I don’t know.” I paused, looking up at him, “I don’t want it to be like HUGE, but I don’t want it to be small, you know?” He was grinning down at me nodding.

I smiled up at him, “That’s all I can think of right now.” I said letting out a long breath. He chuckled a little, “That was a lot.” I nudged his shoulder, “Hey, that idea had been growing in my head since I was six years old, Mr. Jonas.” A small laugh rumbled in his chest, and he leaned down and pressed his lips to mine, “It sounds perfect, Mrs. Jonas.” He said against my lips. I pushed my head in the pillow to pull away from him, “Not yet.” I sighed.

He pushed his head into my neck, his unshaven chin giving me goose bumps, “As far as I’m concerned.” He mumbled into my neck, “It’s been that way for a while, we’re just now making it official.” I smiled as he trailed kisses down my neck to the end of the V-neck t-shirt of his that I wore which fell extremely to low to be appropriate anywhere else but when I was sleeping. I tangled my hands into his hair softly tugging him back up so our lips could meet. He softly pressed our lips together, and pulled back a little, “So, when do you want to have the wedding?” He asked his lips brushing against mine. “Soon.” I sighed trying to keep my answers short so he’d kiss me again. He did, but shortly after he pulled back again, “Before summer?” He asked, keeping his face close to mine. I pulled back, “You want to do it that soon?” I asked, slightly surprised. He nodded, “As soon as we can get it planned, I want to marry you.” He paused, “I’d marry you right now if I knew our parents wouldn’t flip their shit.” I laughed and smiled up at him. “Alright, before summer.” I said. “Any plans after we get back to L.A?” He smiled, “Nope, we took the next year off, we aren’t doing anything, no ifs ands or buts, we all agreed it’s time to settle down for a while.” I breathed a sigh of relief glad that we wouldn’t be separated. “So, there it is, when we get back we’ll start planning.” I said my voice getting excited. “For as soon as possible?” He asked. I smiled up at him, “For as soon as possible.” I agreed.

We laid there staring at each other for a few moments, taking in the excitement of what was just discussed. I finally couldn’t resist and broke the silence, “Are you going to kiss me now or what?” I asked him playfully. He wiggled his eyebrows at me and blanketed his lips over mine, slowly running his tongue along my bottom lip, I parted my lips and he braced himself on top of me. Slowly, our clothes drifted to the floor and out love for one another took over our bodies, both trying to bring the other to complete ecstasy.

Joe fell down beside me, pulling me to him, both trying to catch our breath, letting our heart beats regulate to a normal pace. I looked over at the clock, 5:17AM. I groaned, letting the tiredness take over me, “I love you, Joe.” I said, stifling a yawn and moving closer to him. He kissed the top of my head, “I love you, too and soon enough, we were both asleep.

I woke up to a loud ringing in my ear. I groaned and snuggled farther into Joe’s warm chest. He kept his arm wrapped around me to stable himself and reached behind him to get the phone, “Hmm?” He said groggily into the phone. “No, we’ll get up…yeah, I’m sure…what time?...when’s that getting here?...fine…we’ll be there…bye.” He slammed the phone down and rolled back into me. After a few minutes he finally spoke, “We have to get up, babe.” He said stroking my back. I felt the sudden urge to cry, “I don’t want too.” I said, my voice croaking with my tiredness. He kissed my forehead, “I know, but we have a plane to catch” I rolled onto my back and tried to open my eyes, “What time is it?” I felt him shuffle around a bit to look at the clock, “It’s almost 3 now and the car will be here at 5, flight’s at 6.” He said answering my next question also.

I finally opened my eyes and looked up at him, he was smiling down at me, “Hi.” I said unable to help the smile that spread across my face at the sight of him. “Hey sleepy head.” He said rustling my hair a little and softly kissing my lips. I laughed a little and then sighed, “I guess I have to get up.” I said groaning as I pushed myself up into a sitting position. He nodded, running his hand up and down my back, sending shivers down my spine. Eventually, we both managed to get up and saunter into the huge bathroom to get ready.

By the time we got back to L.A., it was a little after midnight, but due to the extensive amount of sleep I had gotten the whole day and the entire plane ride, I wasn’t exactly tired. Mr. Paul dropped us off at our house, Mrs. Denise reminding us she was cooking dinner the next night if we wanted to come over. We agreed and made our way into the house.

“Where’s Kipp?” Joe asked me from his place on the bed while I was in the closet putting my clothes away. “Hutch took him for me.” I called from the closet. “I’ll go get him tomorrow.” I said walking out and laying down on the bed next to him. We laid there for a little while and I rolled over to face Joe, meeting his brown eyes that were already looking at me. “I’m not tired.” I said glancing at the clock over his shoulder, 1:47. “Me either.” He said with a sigh. We left it at that just string at each other for a few minutes, completely bored, until Joe shot up and looked down at me with a huge grin, “I have an idea.” He said excitedly. “What?” I asked. “Come on.” He said grabbing my hand and pulling me in my closet, “Put these on.” He said handing me a pair of Nike Dunks and then running out across the room to his closet.

He grabbed my hand and ran down the stairs and into the garage to the storage room. “Joe.” I whined, “What are we doing?” He just smiled back at me and unlocked the door leading me in and flipping on the light. My face dropped but then lifted up into a huge grin, “Bikes, Joe? Really?” He smiled and shook his head, his eyes never leaving the two bikes in front of him.

They were older looking bikes, like ones that your grandparents would ride, no fancy speed adjusters, no handlebar brakes, the old fashioned good bikes. But they looked brand new, they were really shiny, with new tires and were both painted bright yellow. “When’d you get these?” I asked him. He shrugged, “Before I left, I hid them in here because I didn’t want you to find them.” He said. “Why?” I asked laughing a little. “Because I didn’t want you to ride them without me, they’re awesome!” Now I was really laughing, “You’re such a goober.” He smiled, “But you love me.” He said kissing my nose. “But I love you.” I agreed grabbing one of the bikes, “So, where to?”

I should have known this wouldn’t be a quiet, peaceful, relaxing ride, no ma’am, not with Joe Jonas. He led us out of our neighborhood, down the sidewalk and to the neighborhood next to ours that just happened to be the hilliest neighborhood in L.A. Wonderful.

The first hill we came to was huge and I was pretty positive that I wouldn’t survive. Joe raced down full speed with his legs stretched out on either side of him, not on the pedals, laughing the entire way. I could here him calling my name loud enough for me to here but not loud enough to wake the neighbors. I groaned and squeezed my eyes shut slowly waiting for the hill to take me, and it did. But half way down I started laughing. It was exhilarating and I felt so free. I got to the bottom and slowly eased on the breaks, beaming at Joe, “That was so awesome.” I half-yelled at Joe. “Told you.” He grinned and started up the street. We stayed in the neighborhood riding bikes for a while and then ventured out and rode down about a mile to the pier. It had been at least three hours and I was completely worn out.

Joe kicked his shoes off and walked out a little ways on the sand and laid down, his hands behind his head. I shortly followed him curling up at his side and laying my head on his chest. We laid there and talked to each other about everything, just catching up. About his tour, where he played, the kids he met, the money they raised, the charities they raised money for. The passion in his voice when he talked about it made my heart swell with pride. Pride in him, he was so caring and passionate and giving and I was proud of him.

Before I knew it the sun was starting to rise. I pulled away from Joe and sat up, resting my chin on my knees as the sun pulled itself from beneath the horizon. Joe sat up beside me matching my position.

We stayed there until the sun was fully out and then Joe stood, grabbing my hands, “Breakfast?” he asked I nodded and he stood in front of me hunched over, arms behind him, inviting me onto his back. I smiled and jumped on hooking my ankles around his waist, wrapping my arms around his neck and laying my head on his shoulder. I kissed the side of his neck all the way up to his ear, leaving one final kiss, “I love you.” I whispered into his ear. He set me down and turned to me, softly holding my face in between his hands, he brought his face close to mine, “I love you too.” He said against my lips, before laying his lips over mine.

We ate breakfast at a small diner that overlooked the beach. I watched Joe eating, looking out the window, chewing his food, taking a sip of his orange juice. Without a wink of sleep the whole night, and riding bikes and laying out on the beach, he looked amazing. His hair was completely wavy, his unshaven face gave him a rugged edge. I didn’t eat I just stared. He eventually looked up at me confused, “Not hungry?” He asked pulling his eyebrows together. I smiled and picked up my biscuit, “No, you just look really hot right now, I just wanted to stare.” I smiled meeting his eyes again. He just smirked and shook his head, “What am I going to do with you?” He asked. I looked at him over my coffee cup and raised my eyebrows, I put the cup down, “Love me?” I asked. “I already do that.” He said picking my hand up and kissing my palm. “Good.” I said smiling at him, “That’s all I want.”