Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 37

Today was the day.

The dresses were bought, the flowers were put together, the food was ready, the chairs were set up, our vows were written, the invites were sent out, the music was picked. Everything was ready.

Our backyard was set up for the reception. All the sliding doors that led to the pool were open, there were tables set up, Chinese lanterns hung from everything, lighting the area, everything was set up in white. There was a ‘dance floor’ set up in the middle, taking up most of the room and Christmas lights along the house.

But, the most important place was down the back steps, to the beach, where a huge white tent was set up. Tea candles in white, metal sand pails lined the walkway to the tent. Inside, everything was lighted with Christmas lights that lined the inside, there were tree-like fixtures that lined the edge, painted metallic silver with Christmas lights intertwined through the bare branches. There was a sheer sheet, creating some-what of a ceiling with Christmas lights laid on top, setting off a hearty glow in the tent. A white aisle cut down the middle that would lead me to Joe. There were tea candles lined along the front where we would stand. All the chairs the guests would sit in were white, with black ribbon tied in a bow around the backs.

I sat in our bedroom, with Mack, maid of honor, my cousin, Blythe, and Quin, all bridesmaids. They were putting my veil on, my hair was half up, half down and curled loosely at the ends and the veil fit to where the top part of my hair was pulled back. I could see my dress through the mirror, hanging behind me on the bedroom door, it was simple, strapless, a pearl, shimmering white, a short train. It was perfect. I was going barefoot since it was on the beach.

I was silent, trying to remember my vows in my head, remember the things I had written to say about Joe I smiled to myself, I could go on for days, but I had been confined to a 5x7 index card, I had written as little as possible to fit all my thoughts on the card. I was rereading the card over and over repeating the words to myself.

I had just slid into my dress when I felt someone rub my shoulders, “You’ll be fine, Kay.” I quickly turned my head, slapping his hands away, “Hutch! No boys!” He laughed a little and sat next to me, “Joe’s freaking out at his parent’s house, Nick and Kevin had to hide all the keys to the cars so he’d stay there, I told him I’d come check on you.”

I laughed, “How are you holdin’ up? He asked. I took a deep breath, “I’m actually really, really good.” I said smiling. “She hasn’t said one word, she just sits there.” Mack said. I turned and glared at her. Hutch laid a hand on my knee, “I knew you’d exaggerate.” He said chuckling a little. “No.” I said standing up, “I’m just trying to make sure I know my vows, so I can say what I want to say. Now will you all just leave me alone? I have thirty minutes before I take the biggest, most exciting step of my life, I need a moment.” I said overdramatically. They all laughed but the room cleared out.

I went and sat on the bay window seat, watching people filter through the backyard and out to the tent, the sun had already set, and the sky twinkled with stars, it was a beautiful night, it wasn’t hot like it should have been, it was cool, no humidity, once again, perfect. I took my time alone to think about everything, I backtracked our entire relationship, from when we met, our first date, when he told me he loved me, the way he kissed me, our first fight, our trips together, when we made love, it all fit together perfectly. We fit together perfectly.

I heard a knock on the door, pulling me from my thoughts, “Kayden?” I heard Joe’s soft voice from the other side of the door. I jumped up, “Joe. No!” I yelled from the other side, putting all my weight on the door. “Chill Kay.” He said laughing to himself. “I just wanted to come tell you I missed you last night.” I smiled tracing my fingers along the door, picturing his face, what he looked like in his tux. It was taking everything in my power not to sling the door open and jump into his arms. I smiled, “I missed you, too.”

“I knew it was a bad idea to sleep at my parent’s, I just wanted to be with you.” I smiled, “I know.” I heard him move closer to the door, “I love you, Kayden.” I rested my hand against the door, “I love you, too.” I heard Kevin from down the stairs, “Joseph! If you’re up here, we’re going to fight. I told you—” I heard Joe’s feet shuffle down the hall to the other staircase and then someone tap on my door. “Yes?” I called out. “Kay, it’s Kevin…are you ready?” I took in a deep breath and looked at the picture of my mom near the door, forcing my tears back, “Be with me today.” I whispered. “I love you mom.” I kissed my index and middle finger and pressed it on her forehead and opened the door, “I’m ready.” I said letting my breath out.

Kevin smiled and offered me his elbow. I took it and we headed downstairs where my dad was waiting. His mouth dropped and he had a huge grin set on his face, “Kay, you look beyond beautiful.” I smiled, “Thanks dad.” Kevin smiled at me and leaned in and kissed my cheek, “I’m glad he found you Kay.” He said smiling before walking off to join Mack, being Joe’s best man.

I started to walk towards the back of the line heading down to the beach but my dad grabbed my arm, “Kay.” He said softly. “What is it dad?” I asked. He smiled and trapped me in a hug, “I’m so happy for you.” He said pulling back and holding my shoulders, “I’m so proud of the woman you’ve become…you’re mom would be so proud of you.” He said choking out the words trying to hide his tears. I smiled weakly, “Dad, please don’t make me cry.” I tried to laugh it off but failed miserably. He smiled, “I know, I know. I love you Kay.” He said kissing my forehead. I wrapped my arms around him, “I love you too dad. You’re the best.”

He smiled, “Let’s catch up.” We quickly walked out to the backyard and down the steps and stood in line behind Hutch and Quin, Nick and Blythe, and Frankie, our ring bearer stood in front of Kevin and Mack. Mack came and handed me my tightly woven bouquet of red roses, keeping her bouquet of white roses tucked under her arm. She grinned and ran back to Kevin, she slipped her arm through Kevin’s and turned to look at me. I nodded towards Kevin and wiggled my eyebrows at her. She grinned and pulled herself closer to him, he looked down at her and smiled laying his free hand over hers that was placed through his arm. I bit my lip, holding back my excitement for her until she turned around when Kevin wasn’t paying attention and mouthed, ‘Oh my God.’ I laughed and Kevin turned around looking back and forth between the two of us confused. We both just smiled and directed our attention face forward.

I watched the bare feet of our bridesmaids and groomsmen shuffle forward. They were barefoot too, in fact everyone was, there was a place to put shoes inside our house so we didn’t have any unexpected accidents. The boy’s pants were rolled up twice, in a cuff that hit just above the top of their ankle. It was pretty hot if I had to say so myself.

My aunt stood outside the tent, listening for the music to start and waved frantically at Hutch and Quin to go in the tent. I shut my eyes and held my breath. A few seconds later Nick and Blythe disappeared into the tent, closely followed by Frankie. I smiled, imagining Joe at the end, bouncing on the balls of his feet, his bottom lip bitten, he’s eyes alive and shining, a big grin threatening to break out on his face. I tried to imagine his suit, was he wearing a bow tie or a tie? Probably a bow tie. I thought. “Ready?” My dad asked. I smiled up at him grinning like a maniac, shaking my head overenthusiastically, “Let’s go.” I whispered.

We got to the opening of the tent, I heard the bridal march start and the shuffling of people standing up. I took a deep breath, “I love you daddy.” I said looking at him, he smiled down at me, “I love you too baby girl.” The tent flaps slid open and I took in my surroundings, the tent was even more beautiful at night, my eyes scanned the crowd once, taking note that everyone obliged to my request to wear black or silver and smiled because so. Then I looked straight ahead, and then my vision was locked, it was like everything melted away, the only thing I could see was Joe waiting at the end for me, just like I’d imagined him, black tux, it looked satin from far away, so soft, had a bow tie on and his pants were rolled to about mid-calf. ‘Always have to be different, eh Joe?’ I thought giggling to myself. My grin grew and I met his eyes again, his lip pulled away from the grasp of his teeth leaving him standing there with an adorable goofy grin plastered on his face.

Before I knew it my dad was kissing my cheek and whispering in my ear, “I love you.” I smiled and softly hugged him, “I love you too dad.” My dad shook hands with Joe and he turned to me, locking his eyes with mine, grabbing my hands, we stood in front of the preacher, and he smiled at us, then his eyes trailed to the crowd, my eyes didn’t move they stayed locked onto Joe’s. “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today…” I heard him start, but I didn’t really hear anything, all I heard was the vows swimming in my head, the things I prepared to tell Joe. The way he was staring at me wasn’t helping either, or the fact that he looked absolutely amazing. ‘You look gorgeous.’ He mouthed to me, his eyes widening a little. My smile grew and I looked him up and down and cocked an eyebrow at him and ran my tongue over my top set of teeth before biting down on my bottom lip. His eyes went wide and he grinned, ‘I love you.’ He mouthed to me. I squeezed his hands, ‘I love you, too.’ I wanted to kiss him right there, drag him out of that tent and take advantage of him, but that would be extremely inappropriate on my part. But hey, a girl can dream.

“Joseph and Kayden have decided to pronounce their own vows, so now, Joseph…” he trailed off. The sound of my name caused me to look over to the preacher, he nudged his head toward Joe and my attention was back on him, staring into the depths of his caramel eyes. He swallowed hard once and took a few deep breaths, “Kayden…” He started closing his eyes and sucking in his bottom lip. I ran my thumb along his knuckles, a smile tugged at his lips and he continued…

“Words cannot describe what I feel for you, love doesn’t even begin to cover it, there aren’t enough words out there to express to you the love I have for you. You bring out the best in me. You make me want to be a better person for you and for me, you deserve the best and I know I’m not perfect but I’m willing to try for the rest of my life. When I’m away from you, I’m empty, just the thought of being without you makes my heart hurt. You are my ray of light that gets me through the darkness and I want to spend the rest of my life showing you how much I love you. Ever since I met you, I felt like I was put on this earth to love you, to take care of you, to protect you, and I love you Kayden, so much, and the symbol of this ring..” He said taking it from Frankie and slowly slipping it on my finger, it fit perfectly against my engagement ring, just a simple silver band, “I promise to protect you and love you and make you happy until…forever.” He breathed.

The tears were slowly rolling down my cheeks and Joe smiled at me with his head cocked to the side. He moved both of my hands to one of his and used his free hand to softly wipe my tears away. I heard a light sigh of “aww’s” coming from the crowd and I smiled. “Kayden, whenever you’re ready.” The preacher smiled. Joe kept a tight grip on my hands, softly stroking them with his fingers. I took a deep breath and slowly let it out.

“Joe, the love I feel for you is like nothing I’ve ever felt, it’s so strong, when you’re happy, I’m happy, when you’re hurting, I’m hurting. It feels like when we’re together, we aren’t just Joe and Kayden, we are like one person, sharing the same mind, feeling the same things. You’re my rock, you’re always there for me, when it feels like everything is falling apart, you’re always there to pick up the pieces and make me whole again. You make me feel like I have a place in this world, like I belong here, and I do, I belong here with you, where I’m supposed to be, where I was always meant to be. I love you with my whole self, my heart was given to you a long time ago, and I don’t ever want it back.” I was crying again, I wasn’t at the sobbing stage but tears were glistening down my face. I saw Joe wipe away a few tears and that only made it harder to stop. I tried to compose myself, “And I’m giving you this ring.” I said slipping it onto his finger; it was a solid platinum band that was set thick around his finger. I mindlessly stroked it while I continued, “I promise to love you and cherish you, my personal gift from God, until the end of my…existence.” I said whispering the last part.

We both dabbed at our eyes and the entire tent was silent for a few moments, you could hear a few people sniffling but that was it, just silence. I smiled at Joe and he smiled back, ‘Almost.’ I mouthed looking down at our hands and I saw his smile grow.

Then the preacher started, “So, do you Joseph Adam Jonas take Kayden Alexis Bryant to be your lawfully wedded wife from this day forward?” He asked turning his attention to Joe. Joe’s eyes never left mine as he answered. “I do.” He said while squeezing my hands. “And do you Kayden Alexis Bryant take Joseph Adam Jonas to be your lawfully wedded husband from this day forward?” I smiled and squeezed Joe’s hands back. “I do.” I said letting all my breath out. “Then by the power vested in me, I know pronounce you husband and wife, you may now kiss your bride.”

I smiled at Joe and he pulled me towards him, wrapping my arms around his neck and sliding his hands down my arms, his lips softly pressing against mine, letting it linger there, softly massaging my lips with his. I could hear people clapping and the conversations starting to build up and I smiled into the kiss and Joe reluctantly pulled away. His hand trailed down to grab mine as the preacher spoke, “I now give to you Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Adam Jonas.” We walked up the aisle with people smiling and clapping and standing as we walked past, calling out their congratulations. The grin on my face was unbreakable as was Joe’s hold on my hand.

We made it into our bedroom to change for the reception and Joe locked the door behind us. “I can’t believe it.” He said trapping me in his arms. “What?” I giggled into his neck. “That you’re really mine, you’re really Mrs. Jonas.” I grinned and looked up at him, wrapping my arms around his neck, “Yup, you’re stuck with me now.” He was suddenly serious, “I’d rather be stuck with you than free with anyone else.” He said his eyes scanning mine. The smile had slid off my face and I pulled him closer to me, trapping his lips with mine. He quickly responded and pulled the material of my dress up until he reached the bottom, reaching under and grabbing behind my thighs, pulling my legs around his waist. He walked forward and laid me down on the bed slowly kissing down my neck. He reached behind me and slowly slid the zipper down when there was a knock on the door, “Kayden? Joe?” Kevin called, “Everyone’s waiting downstairs.” I poked my bottom lip out at Joe who blew a puff of air out at his bangs, “Yeah, ugh, we’re just trying to get this dress off.” I heard Kevin scoff, “Yeah I bet you are. Hurry up, seriously.” I laughed and Joe rolled over beside me, “Stupid reception.” He mumbled. I hit his chest with the back of my hand, “It’ll be fun…Plus.” I said standing up, “I still need help with my dress.”

Ten minutes later, a very anxious Joe and I headed down to the reception, I had changed into a strapless dress that had satin ribbon wrapped around the waist from right under my boobs until right below my bellybutton where it poofed out and fell right below mid-calf. I put on a pair of white heels with a strap across my toes and a strap around my ankle, the straps tied loosely with a satin white bow. Joe took his jacket off, kept his vest on and rolled up his shirt sleeves and slipped on his beloved metallic silver shoes.

We sauntered out the back door and everyone turned and clapped, taking pictures and clearing the dance floor out when Nick’s voice came over the speaker system we had set up, I looked up to see the DJ setting aside looking slightly annoyed in Nick’s direction. “Alright, now the bride and groom are going to share their first dance as husband and wife.” He announced. I smiled as Joe took my hand, keeping me close to his side and onto the dance floor. I heard the opening notes, not recognizing the song, but at the first line I looked up to Joe, tears filling my eyes and a smile plastered onto my face, “Joe.” I breathed. He just smiled and pulled me closer to him. It was the song he sang to me over the radio, except this was professionally recorded with all the right instruments, it was clean and crisp and his sweet as honey voice drifted out the speakers, filling my ears.

Ordinary no, really don't think so
Not a love this true
Common destiny
We were meant to be
Me and you

Like a perfect scene from a movie screen
We're a dream come true
Suited perfectly for eternity
Me and you

Every day, I need you even more
And the night time too
There's no way
I could ever let you go
Even if I wanted to

Every day I live
Try my best to give
All I have to you
Thank the stars above
That we share this love Me and you

Every day, I need you even more
And the night time too
There's no way
I could ever let you go
Even if I wanted to

Ordinary no, I really don't think so
Just a precious few
Ever make it last
Get as lucky as
Me and you
Me and you

(Me and You – Kenny Chesney)

(I put it in here because it’s just sweeter when you think about it being they’re wedding day :))

The song was getting close to the end so I pulled back and set my lips against Joe’s and then moved my head down, his lips softly touching my forehead, “I love you.” I whispered into his ear. I felt him smile against my forehead, “I love you too.”

The song ended and I heard Nick’s voice once again, “Now Kayden, your dad wants a dance with you.” I smiled and turned looking for my dad, spotting him headed my way. He kissed my check and I wrapped an arm around his neck and set a hand in his hand as the music started. It was Stevie Wonder, 'Isn’t She Lovely'. I smiled up at my him, “Daddy.” I whispered, smiling. He smiled back and spun me, “You are pretty darn lovely.” He said dipping me, causing me to giggle. Joe danced with his mom to a song I’d never heard before. After that Joe and I sat at a long table and people came by and talked to us and congratulated us and then went off to dance.

After about thirty minutes, we did the cake and Joe didn’t shove it in my face like I knew he would but our quiet conversation before seemed to let that idea slip from his mind. I smiled as he carefully placed the piece of cake in my mouth letting it touch nothing but the inside of my mouth. The wager? I had told him if any of that cake got anywhere on me besides in my mouth, no love making for Joe. “You already know what it’s like.” I said when he pouted. “It’ll just be like deprivation.” He smirked, “You wouldn’t do that, you couldn’t.” I shrugged, “Go ahead Joe, try me, shove the cake in my face, we’ll see.” I guess he decided I had a lot of will power because that cake was in my mouth and only in my mouth.

We spent the rest of the reception dancing with everyone and having a really good time in everyone’s company. Joe and couldn’t stay away from each other, we were glued to one another’s side, stealing kisses and whispering ‘I love you’s’ back and forth.

It was almost time for Joe and I to leave. We were about to say our goodbyes when back stopped me, “Hold it. Hold it. You still have to do the bouquet and the garter she said wiggling her eyebrows. I groaned, “Ugh, I forgot about that.” Mack drug a chair out into the middle of the dance floor and tapped her glass, “We’re about to do the bouquet and garter toss.” She announced causing everyone to gather around us. Kevin, forced into his best man duties sat in the chair. I sat on his lap, wrapping my arms around his neck to steady myself. Joe got on one knee in front of me and I smirked at him, hiking my leg up onto his knee. He smirked back and ran both his hands up my right leg. He grabbed the garter and slowly raked his hands down my leg sending a shiver through my spine. Kevin laughed and patted my back, “Well, that’s awkward.” He mumbled.

We threw the garter and the bouquet. Mack caught my bouquet and Frankie managed to dive on the ground and get the garter since Joe threw it short.

Joe and I headed upstairs grabbing our suitcases and everything we needed. For our honeymoon we were spending it at our cabin in Salt Lake City. We were leaving our phones here, our computers here, everything here. We just wanted each other and that’s all it was going to be.

Before we walked out of our room I pulled Joe back to me and into a passionate kiss. We broke apart and I pecked his lips again, “What was that for?” He asked opening his eyes and smiling. I shrugged, “Because I love you.” He smiled and grabbed my hand, kissing it, “We don’t want to be late Mrs. Jonas.” I grinned at him, “Most definitely not, we’ve got things to do tonight.” I said cocking an eyebrow at him. He pulled me to him and ran his hands down my back kissing my jaw, “Yes we do.” He mumbled against neck.

We made our way downstairs and everyone was waiting, as we walked past they threw silver glitter/confetti that glittered all around us, screaming congratulations. We smiled and waved everyone off. Denise, Paul, my dad, Nick, Kevin, Frankie, Mack and Hutch waited for us at the end.

“Take care of Kipp.” I said to Frankie ruffling his hair. I hugged Nick and Kevin, “Thanks for everything guys, you two are the best.” I said kissing both of their cheeks. They both hugged me back, “The sister we’ve always wanted.” They both agreed making me giggle.

I hugged Denise, “Thank you so much for everything you’ve ever done…I love you so much.” I could hear the smile in her voice, “Thank you, you’ve made him so happy. I love you.” She pulled back and smiled at me, “Oh.” She said grabbing my arm, “Don’t be afraid to ask for anything.” She smiled before turning to Joe. I moved to Paul, “Thank you doesn’t even begin to cover it.” I said laughing. He pulled me in a hug, “It’s okay, we love you Kayden…You’re definitely a proud addition to the family.” I grinned up at him.

“Dad.” I sighed wrapping my arms around him tightly, “I love you so much.” He hugged me for a long time. “I’m so happy for you, you two are perfect for each other. Have a good time.” He said trying to inconspicuously wipe the tears from his eyes.

I hugged Hutch and Mack, “Good luck.” I told her nodding towards Kevin. She smirked and looked over at him. He turned and winked at her. “He’s already yours.” I said laughing. “Keep her in line.” I said to Hutch while wrapping my arms around him. “I’ll try.” He murmured. I pulled back, “Thanks Hutch, for everything. Without you I’d still be sitting on my bed watching Lifetime and eating Eazy Cheeze from the can.” His face twisted in disgust, “Gross Kayden.” I laughed and hugged him again. “Seriously, thanks.” He smiled, “No problem. I love you Kay.” I pulled back and pinched his cheeks, “Love you too Hutch.”

Joe finished telling everyone bye and grabbed my hand. “Ready, Mrs. Jonas?” He breathed into my ear. I smiled and kissed his chin. “Yes, PLEASE.” I said giving one last wave to everyone before climbing in the car. “I have you alone.” Joe said pulling me into his lap, “Finally.” He said softly, his lips brushing against mine.

And we were off.