Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 39

Joe and I had been married for about six months. Things have been going great, so far. But lately things just seemed off. I don’t know what it was but something inside of me forced me to pick fights with him and snap at remarks that he made. I didn’t know what was wrong with me but I couldn’t hold myself back. It was wrong of me and I knew it, but I couldn't make myself stop. I always regretted everything I did and said right when they left my mouth when the hurt was apparent in his eyes. He would distance himself from me after that and everything just felt...off.

Kevin and Mack have been together since the wedding. I’m happy for them. Kevin is good for Mack, she hasn’t had much luck in the past with guys. It’s really hard for her to open up and trust people and Kevin accomplished that. He was careful around her and didn’t push anything too far. They equaled each other out and each made up for what the other lacked. I always knew they were meant to be.

We were going to a movie premiere tonight with Kevin and Mack, and Nick who was bringing Kam. She was an up and coming artist and Nick met her while he was working on a solo project at the studio a few months ago. They became quick friends when she accidently walked into his studio, they became inseparable and she just recently asked him to appear in her music video for her first single, which he did. They were “best friends” but we were all waiting for Nick to make the move.

Joe and I were getting ready and I was leaned over the bathroom counter trying to perfect my mascara. Joe walked in, “Babe, where’s my yellow tie.” He said a little too loudly scaring me and causing my hand to jerk smearing a line of mascara on my eyelid. I spun around, “Damnit, Joe. I don’t know! I don’t wear your ties.” I half yelled at him glaring at his reflection through the mirror while reaching for the make up remover. He watched me carefully wiping off the smudge with a hurt and confused expression on his face before shaking his head and walking out.

I brushed on some blush and fluffed out my hair adjusting my purple strapless dress and walking into our room to get my shoes. I saw Joe with a frustrated look on his face trying to tie his tie. A half smile pulled at my lips and I stepped in front of him reaching for his tie. He brushed my hands away and took a step back, the look on his face said it all. He was hurt and I was trying to pretend it was okay.

I bit the insides of my cheeks, holding back my emotions and averted my eyes away from him down to my bare feet. “It doesn’t feel good, does it?” He asked. I looked up at him his eyes the expression on his face was hard to read, but I knew he wasn’t happy, it was a mix of matter-of-fact and anger. “I—” I went to talk to him but he held up his hand and shook his head turning away from me, fiddling with his tie. I took a step closer to him and wrapped my arms around him from behind, feeling him tense up, “I’m sorry.” I said feeling the tears coming. “I—I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” I said the tears streaming down my face and a sob escaping my throat.

He turned in my arms quickly and pulled me to him holding my head to his chest with his hand. He was swaying us back and forth stroking my hair, “Shh, babe.” He pulled my head back and held my face in between his hands. “I didn’t want to make you cry.” He said cradling my head to his chest once more. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” He mumbled into my hair. I shook my head and pulled back to look up at him, “No, I’m sorry, I-I just I don’t know what’s the matter, I just get so aggravated and I take it out on you and it’s wrong and I’m s-s-so-sorry.” The tears cam harder and Joe just held me, “It’s okay.” He kept whispering in my ear, “We’re okay.” He walked to the bed and sat down holding me in his lap. “What do you say we just call everyone and tell them we can’t make it. We can just stay here.” I looked up at him wiping my eyes, “No. You’re expected to be there and I’m not stopping you.” I sniffed, “We’re going.” He kissed my forehead, and let it linger there a few moments, “Are you going to tell me what’s going on?” He asked quietly, his lips barely brushing my forehead. I shrugged in his arms, “I don’t know. I really don’t know what’s gotten into me lately…I just—I don’t know—I don’t know and I’m hurting you and I feel terrible.” I cried into his shoulder.

He looked down at me his eyebrows furrowed. “Kay, it’s okay, babe. I just didn’t understand why you were acting that way. It’s alright, I forgive you. Don’t beat yourself up about it.” He kissed my forehead and glanced at the clock. “We’ve got twenty minutes until the limo gets here. Go clean yourself up.” He said wiping my tears and softly pressing his lips to mine. “I love you.” I whispered. He smiled. “I love you, too.” He picked me up and set me down in front of the mirror in the bathroom kissing the side of my head and walking back in the bedroom to get dressed.

The limo got there right on time. We were coming down the stairs when we heard the honking horn. We walked out the side door and Joe pulled me close to his side, “You look beautiful.” He whispered into my hair. I couldn’t hide the smile on my face and I returned his comment with a quick peck.

We climbed in the limo and I saw Kevin and Mack sitting far away from everyone, her legs were crossed over his lap and she was whispering something he seemed deeply intrigued by in his ear. Nick and Kam sat in the middle, a little distance in between them, talking softly and laughing every now and then, we sat across from them and everyone said their hellos before going back to doing their own thing.

Joe pulled me closer to him and was twirling a lock of my hair around his fingers. I smiled and leaned my head on his shoulder nuzzling into his neck. I got a chill causing goose bumps to rise all over my arms. He rubbed the sides of my arms while I snuggled closer to him trying to get warm. “Are you cold?” He asked, pressing my forehead to his cheek, “I think you have fever or something.” He said looking down at me. “I don’t feel very well.” I said laying my head back on his shoulder. "Are you sure you want to go? If you don't feel good, we can go home, it's not a big deal." He whispered into my ear. I shook my head, "No, I'm good, I want to go."

We arrived at the theater the premiere was being held at, Nick and Kam climbed out first, followed by Joe and I, and then Kevin and Mack. There was a walkway set up leading in with a rope set up holding back the crazy photographers and interviewers. I plastered a smile on my face and Joe kept me close to his side. All the interviewers were shoving their microphones at all of us, yelling out their questions. “Joe! How’s married life?” “Kevin! Are you two next?” “Nick! Are you and Kam together?” They all kept the smiles on their faces answering the questions lightly. Joe turned to the reporter and looked down at me, “It’s amazing.” Joe said loudly. “I couldn’t be happier.” He redirected his attention to me and softly pressed his lips to mine causing the cameras to go crazy. I just smiled and we made our way inside passing Kevin, who was assuring and interviewer that he and Mack weren’t engaged, “But.” I heard him say, “That can always change.” He smirked down at a wide-eyed Mack causing me to laugh. We made our way past Nick and Kam who were explaining that they're just really good friends and how they were happy where they are right now.

Once inside, we got shown to our seats and had just sat down when the lights lowered and the screen lit up, the movie starting. The movie was a drama. It was the basic relationship story, except the girl finds out she had cancer, the guy got scared and leaves her. The whole time he’s trying to make his way back to her. It was amazing. I cried three different times and Joe kept his arm around me, pulling me close to him, kissing away my tears.

We left the theater and drove downtown to the new Italian restaurant Kevin wanted to try. We all sat around the table talking about the movie, the boys were making fun of Mack, Kam, and I for crying. I pouted at Joe and he immediately stopped and pecked my lips. When our food came I ate a few bites and started feeling sick. Just the smell of all the food was making me queasy. I pushed my plate away and sat back in my chair, crossing my arms over my stomach and trying to only breathe through my mouth.

Joe leaned over with a worried look, “Babe, you okay?” he said running his hand along my thigh. I didn’t respond, I just looked over at him. “Kay?” He asked stroking my face, “You look really pale.” I shook my head and scooted my chair over a little and laid my head on his shoulder, his arms wrapped around me. “Is she okay?” I heard Nick asking. I felt Joe shaking his head, “I’m just going to bring her home."

Joe and I took a cab home and he carried me upstairs, I slipped my shoes off and he unzipped my dress, and slid it down, helping me step out of the dress. Goose bumps arose all over my bare skin as soon as the material was off. Joe grabbed a pair of sweatpants and one of his long sleeved shirts and helped me put them on. He carried me to the bed and tucked me in before taking off his suit and pulling on a pair of basketball shorts and walking into the bathroom coming back with a glass of water and some Tylenol PM. He sat me up to take the medicine, placing the empty glass on the nightstand and then he crawled in next to me. I turned to him, “I don’t feel good.” I groaned into his neck. “I know.” He said kissing my forehead. I shivered, my teeth chattering, “I’m freezing.” He pulled me closed to him and wrapped his arms around my waist, rubbing my back. We laid there a few minutes and I felt the drowsiness kicking in, “Joe?” I mumbled. “Hmm?” His throat hummed. “I love you.” He kissed the side of my head, “I love you, too.”

I woke up early the next morning and craned my neck to look over Joe to glance at the clock, 8:38. Moving was obviously a bad idea. I felt the sickness in my stomach slowly creeping up. I ripped myself away from Joe and ran into the bathroom, slamming the toilet seat up and emptying all the contents of my stomach. I heard Joe come in and he gathered all my hair in one of his hands and lightly rubbing my lower back with the other. When I was sure I was done, I reached up and flushed the toilet and slid down into Joe’s lap. He grabbed a washcloth and wiped my mouth and then helped me stand up. “Come on.” He said handing me my toothbrush, “We’re going to the doctor.”

I brushed my teeth and changed my shirt and put on a hoodie and my Ugg boots and Joe changed from his pajamas and we went out to the car. On the way I looked over at Joe, “I actually feel better, we don’t have to go.” I said lightly squeezing his hand. He shook his head, “Nope, we’re going.” He said. “But I feel better.” I mumbled. He just looked at me and shook his head a little, turning up the radio. I sent a pout in his direction and he smiled, ‘We’re going.’ He mouthed. ‘Fine.’ I mouthed back at him and pouted again. He picked up my hand and kissed the top.

We got to the doctor and I was flipping through a People magazine, “I feel better.” I told Joe for the hundredth time. I hated doctors. They made me nervous. “Kay, you weren’t okay last night or this morning. They’ll check you out, give you a prescription and you’ll be fine in a day or two. It’s going to be fine.” I was about to retaliate when Joe’s phone rang. He held his finger up to me and answered it. While he was talking they called my name and lead us to a room. “The doctor will be in soon.” The nurse told me, shutting the door as I pulled myself onto the paper covered exam table. “Thank you.” I said as she walked out.

Joe finished his conversation, “Would you hate me if I left you to go get dad from the airport and then come back to pick you up?” He asked standing and walking over to stand in between my legs. “Yes.” I said wrapping my arms around his neck. He smirked and layered a few kisses down my neck, “Would you forgive me later?” He asked against my lips. I pulled his face closer to mine and pressed our lips together, “Go, I’ll be alright.” I said pulling back. He smiled, “I’ll call you on my way back here.” I pecked his lips again, “Love you.” He kissed my nose, “Love you, too.”

Joe left and the doctor came to examine me about fifteen minutes later, “So, what’s going on…Kayden.” He said looking at my charts. “Well…I have just been feeling sluggish—I guess—and I had fever yesterday and the day before, I don’t feel like eating, and I was throwing up this morning. But now I feel totally fine.” He checked my temperature and swabbed my throat and tested for viruses and they all came back negative. Now I was sitting here with a needle stuck in my arm so they could draw blood and test that too. Now I wished Joe was here. The nurse put a band-aid on my arm, “It’ll be about ten minutes until we get the sample tested, so just sit tight.” The nurse told me.

I was playing Bubble Breaker on my phone when Joe called, he said he just dropped off his dad and he’d be there in twenty minutes. As soon as I hung up with Joe, the doctor came in, “Well, it’s not as bad as we thought it was.” He said.

Joe’s P.O.V.

I parked in the parking garage and walked down the street towards the doctor’s office. I stopped and got Kayden an ICEE because I knew they were her favorite and I wasn’t there for her at the doctor so, I got her a prize, so to speak.

I turned the corner and saw her sitting on a bench staring across the street. I grinned at her oblivion to the world and the deep concentration she held. As I got closer I saw that her eyes were glazed over and a few tears were slowly rolling down her cheeks. My smile faded and I dropped the ICEE and ran to her, kneeling down in between her legs, “Kayden, baby, what’s the matter?” I asked, but her eyes stayed forward, not speaking, like she was in a daze. I held her face in between my hands and forced her to look at me. It was like she just realized I was there. “Joe.” She whispered, throwing her arms around my neck and crying harder. I stood, pulling her off the bench and buried my face in her hair, my lips close to her ear. “What’s wrong?” I asked her again.

She waited a few moments before she pulled back and looked up to me, her tears had slowed, but I kept my hold tight around her waist and hers stayed locked around my neck.

“Joe.” She said softly, her bottom lip quivering. “I’m here, Kay, tell me what’s wrong.” I said searching her eyes, desperately waiting for an answer. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, when she opened her eyes again they locked with mine, “I’m pregnant.” She whispered.