Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 40

Kayden’s P.O.V.

“I’m pregnant.” I whispered.

I closed my eyes, nervous of his reaction. “You are?” I heard his voice crack and I wasn’t sure of that was a bad thing or not. I nodded, “Have been for two months now.” And then I got my answer when he pulled me to him and wrapped his arms around my upper body, “Oh thank God. I was so scared something was going to be wrong with you.” He pulled back and looked at me, a smile lit up his face, “But, why are you crying, babe?” He asked wiping my tears away. I stepped forward, into his arms, the only place I knew where I would always be safe. “Because I’m scared.” Joe furrowed his eyebrows and looked down at me.

People were passing is on the sidewalk and paying more attention to us than I wanted. The last thing I needed right now were some stupid paparazzi assholes in my business. “Can we just go home please?” He nodded and grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers and pulling me close to him. We didn’t talk the whole way home, Joe just kept his hold on my hand rubbing small circles across my knuckles. We got inside and while Joe took Kipp into the backyard I went and sprawled out on our bed.

I laid my hands over my stomach, I can’t believe I didn’t think about being pregnant before, I mean I missed two periods, and I noticed my stomach was getting a little harder and swelling slightly, but I was too caught up in everything to notice or care, thinking I was just gaining weight with all the stress. I was happy about this, I really was. I mean I was carrying the result of the love Joe and I had for each other. I closed my eyes and smirked and a few moments later I felt Joe lay down beside me. He rolled on his side, propping himself up with his elbow and looking down at me placing his hand over mine on my stomach.

“Talk to me.” He whispered placing a kiss right under my ear. I stared up at him, and sighed, “I’m scared.” His face was so soft and caring, “Of what?” I shrugged a little, “I don’t know…I want this, I really do. I just didn’t think about when it would happen, and now that it has I’m totally unprepared—I mean I don’t know how to raise a kid…” I said my bottom lip quivering and shutting my eyes to block the tears. I felt Joe’s hand leave mine and trace all the way up to my face, “Look at me.” I opened my eyes, a couple of tears sliding from the corner of my eyes into my hairline. “It’s going to be okay. We can do this, Kayden, our baby is in here.” He said laying his hand over my stomach again, “It’s awesome.” He breathed out. “And we can take the classes and buy the books and talk to my mom and your dad and we’ll figure all this out.” I smiled and he returned it, his eyes gleaming. “Promise?” I asked in a small voice holding out my pinky. “Promise.” He said taking my pinky with his.

We laid in bed for a long time. Joe lifted my shirt and laid his head flat on the bed next to it, “It’s barely even raised up.” He said his voice muffled by the sheets. I laughed and hit his head, “It’s too little Joe. I won’t get bigger for a while.” He rested his hand on my bare stomach, “It’s hard.” He said pushing down a little. “I know.” I nodded, “My stomach is bracing itself to grow six times its normal size.” We both laughed and Joe laid down beside me, pulling me to him.

After a few minutes he spoke up, “So 2 months, huh?” I nodded, “Yeah, that’s what the doctor said. He was quiet for a few moments and I looked over at him and laughed, he looked so deep in thought and then all of the sudden he jumped up, and straddled my waist keeping all his weight on his heels, “It was my birthday.” He said staring down at me with wide eyes. “What was?” I asked confused. He smiled, “When you got pregnant, it was my birthday.” I shook my head, “Joe, you could never know that, it could’ve been any time that week.” He brushed some hair away from my face, “Not really, that’s when I was helping Kevin move. Think about it, my birthday was the only time we just stayed in bed and spent the whole day havin—” I cupped my hand over his mouth, “I remember, Joe.” I smiled.

I felt him grinning underneath my hand, “Yeah…that was a good day.” He said after I dropped my hand. I laughed and shook my head, “You are something else, you know that Joe?” He smiled and rolled over next to me, holding me close to his side, “I’ll show you something else.” He said poking my sides, causing me to squeal. He sat up, giving him more reach and poked my ribs and wiggled his fingers into my sides, I was booming with laughter, “Joe—stop it!” I managed to get out, wiggling, trying to get away from him when he stopped all of the sudden and stared down at me. His face changed, the huge smile was now smaller and softer, his eyes were warm and he leaned close to me, his lips brushing mine, “I love you, Kayden.” He said softly, planting a few long kisses on my lips.

He scooted down and placed his lips on my still exposed stomach, leaving a few small kisses, “And I love you too, baby.” He whispered softly stroking my stomach with his finger tips. He then adjusted himself laying out to the side of me, his head resting on lower stomach. His eyes stayed locked on mine and the smile stayed on his lips. My heart felt like it was exploding with love. I felt a few tears collecting in my eyes, this was possibly the most beautiful moment Joe and I had ever shared. Joe found one of my hands and laid it on my upper stomach, laying his hand on top of mine and lacing his fingers through my smaller ones.

We laid there, staring at each other and smiling and I felt my eyes getting heavy and I noticed Joe fighting to keep his open, each time he blinked, he would keep them closed longer and longer until they didn’t open again. I shut my eyes and nuzzled my head farther into the pillow behind me. After everything was quiet and there was no movement I heard Joe’s soft voice, “I’m so happy, Kayden.” He said, his voice barely there and his thumb grazing the top of my hand under my pinky finger, I smiled keeping my eyes closed, “Me too, Joe.” I said before I felt myself drift off to sleep.