You Love To Hate Me

Chapter 12

I looked at the address on my glowing cell phone screen and up at the apartment building. It wasn't the most appealing building ever, but this is where we had to be. Kat and I walking up the cracked concrete stairs and found the building's front door broken open. Needless to say we weren't in a wealthy or safe neighborhood. Kat pressed the up button for the elevator and we waited. I looked at Kat who still had guilt etched into her face. I had to admit it to myself but I was glad she felt bad. She is the one that brought moving across the country to us.

The door opened and we both stepped inside. I pressed the 4 button and it illuminated red. The doors closed and we ascended up. The doors opened again, and we walked out and down the hallway. It smelt of lung cancer. I coughed while looking at the doors. I found the apartment we were looking for. I knocked on it, taking away the silence that once occupied the hallway. There was no answer. I knocked again harder this time. We waited for about three minutes and were about to go downstairs when the door swung open. Max stood there half asleep. His eyes widened when he noticed it was us.

"Maddie what are you doing here?"

"Can we come in?" I asked quietly. He nodded his head and stood aside letting us in. Kat put her bag on the ground while I held mine. Max turned on the lights and offered us something to drink.

He handed Kat and I a glass of water. Kat sat down on the couch while I stayed standing. Max looked from me to Kat until I spoke up.

"Kat got us kicked out of our old place."

"How did that happen?"

"Instead of paying the rent she went tanning before we came here."

"You don't need to make it sound like it's all my fault." She whispered sternly.

"It is your entire fault! You had one thing to do since we moved in to the apartment, and that was to pay the bills. I did everything else. Not to mention you never paid for your half. I was the one who always paid the whole thing, and you always took that money for your personal needs."

We heard a door open and slam. A pissed Ronnie appeared in the room. I couldn't help but stare at him. I mean he was only wearing boxers. He rubbed his eyes and looked at me, then at Max. He did a total double take at me before his eyes went wide with shock.

"MADDIE!!!" He yelled and hugged me. He let me go and looked at me. He looked like he didn't believe what he was seeing. He looked like he thought I would disappear in any second.

"Ronnie!"

"What are you doing here?"

"Got kicked out of our apartment, we needed somewhere to stay."

"So you flew from Chicago all the way back to Vegas?"

"That was the only thing I could come up with."

"I'm glad." He smiled. I smiled too.
"So you can stay here if you want."

"Is that really okay with you two?" I asked them both.

"Of course, we wouldn't want you on the streets anyways." Max said.

Then Ronnie added, "And we like love you."