You Love To Hate Me

Chapter 23

"Uhm, Madison?"

I rolled over and groaned out in tiredness. I opened my eyes and saw Max standing up with a pillow in his hands.

"Are you trying to kill me Max?"

"What is that thing doing here?" He asked pointing at Poe.

"That is my new best friend." He looked at me with astonishment.

"Are you kidding?"

"You don't like dogs?"

"I'm petrified by them." I looked at him wide eyed.
"I'm more of a cat person."

I burst out laughing and got off the bed. Poe's eyes lightened and he followed me out of the room.

"I don't know what to tell you Max. He's a part of me now."

"Are you kidding?" He asked following me. Ronnie was sitting on the counter with a bottle of aspirin in his hand. It looked like he was having difficulty opening it. I grabbed it from his hands.

"Need help?" He shrugged his shoulders avoiding my eyes. I opened the bottle and gave him two. I then closed the bottle again. He dry swallowed them and then actually looked at me.

"Thanks," He whispered and looked at the floor again to see Poe.
"Whose dog?"

"Poe, is my lovely new puppy, and Max is going to have to deal with him since he is married to me."

"Where did you get the name Poe?"

"Edgar Allen Poe, duh." I said smiling. Ronnie looked at Max, and laughed.

"Max hates dogs." I turned to Max.

"How could you hate dogs?"

"I don't hate them, I prefer cats."

"Max dude, you hate them." Max sent Ronnie a death glare, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"In all seriousness, I'm keeping Poe." I informed Max.
"I really don't care what you have to say about it." I left the kitchen, and Poe loyally followed behind me. I walked into my room, and changed my clothes. After I pulled my shirt over my head Max walked in. He looked at me, and then at the small dog sleeping on the bed.

"I really don't want that thing sleeping where I do."

"It's not a thing. He's an animal, and my best friend."

"You've had him for a day." I looked at Max hurt.

"I have nothing to say." I picked up Poe from the bed. Max walked over to me and carefully placed his hands on my shoulders.

"I'm sorry Maddie; I just really don't like dogs." He looked down at Poe with almost disgust. I walked past Max, and out into the kitchen. Ronnie was still sitting on the counter watching the show.

"Ronnie, can Poe please sleep in your room? Max just cannot handle the poor thing." Ronnie smiled and jumped off the counter.

"Sure thing," He grabbed Poe from my hand and held him.
"Whatever makes you happy love," He emphasized the word love, and I felt my heart stop for just a split second. He walked into his room, and I slowly followed.

"Thanks a lot." Ronnie put Poe on the ground and he instantly jumped up onto his bed. He sniffed around and collapsed on the side of the small bed where I used to sleep.

"Just like his mommy." Ronnie joked nudging my shoulder. He left the room, and I watched Poe chest rise and fall with each breath. I smiled to myself and laid down on Ronnie's bed. Without realizing it I soon fell asleep.