Take It Like A Man

Chapter Ten

The chosen song was from their new album “A Little Bit Longer,” it was called BB Good. It is a song about two people being good together in a relationship for it to work. When I had first heard the album BB Good was actually my number one favorite out of all the songs. At the moment it was probably my least.

Looking over the “script” for the music video I was easily amazed. From what my boss had informed me I was going to be an extra, which I assumed would be a person dancing in the background. Turns out I was going to be playing a major roll, A.K.A. Joe’s love interest in the video.

With a sigh I threw the packet on the coffee table in front of the large screen television. Currently I was sitting in the living room of the Jonas house with Frankie, Aoife, and Mary. Mary and I had been the designated babysitters while the boys and their parents had to go do an interview for Kiss FM. At the moment we were being forced to watch the TMNT, although I didn’t exactly mind listening to Chris Evan’s voice… hah.

“What’s wrong?” Mary nodded her head to the pack that I was presently shooting daggers at. As I read threw the packet I had uncovered many things I did not like about the video… Like:

“I have to kiss Joe!”

My friend inclined her eyebrow, “And how is this wrong?”

“Ewe.” I heard Frankie mutter under his breath as he stared intently at the television. I wasn’t blaming him. Who wants to hear about their older brothers future kissing session?

“High five Frank!” I stretched my arm out to Frankie, who was leaning against the armrest on the other side of the couch, and gave him a happy slap on the hand. “No one wants to kiss Joe Jonas.”

“Psh.”

“Okay… maybe some people do. But I don’t. This will cause so much trouble for me!”

Mary just rolled her eyes, “How is this trouble?”

“He likes me,” I huffed crossing my arms firmly across my chest. Pouting my lips I shook my head in irritation, “Why does he like me?! UGH!”

“Joe told me he thinks you’re pretty, smart, and a really fun person to talk to. And he says you’re nothing like those other girls who just want to date him for money. He says he likes that you don’t want to date him because it means that you truly care about how you feel,” informed Frankie with a shrug, never moving his eyes away from the screen. “He talks about you ALL the time. Every time he gets off the phone with you he goes to tell Kevin how amazing he thinks you are.”

“Deep words Yoda,” Mary patted Frankie’s back in laughter. “Tell me more about how much he likes Bethany!”

The youngest Jonas turned to me and sighed in annoyance, not towards me but at the remembrance of his older brother, “Well he talks a lot about how you’re a good mother and he thinks you would be perfect for him because he loves the fact that you’re good with kids. So if in the future when you two got married he’d already know you’d be really good with kids.”

“That’s kind of creepy…” I grumbled as I contemplated the idea that Joe thought about him and I getting married. I barley knew the guy! We weren’t even dating and he was already thinking about our future together? Well, I guess that’s pretty promising.

“No it’s not!” Mary exclaimed dramatically as she threw her hands up in the arm to prove her point. “That is the sweetest most romantic thing I’ve ever heard! You should so date him.”

“Whatever,” I bit the inside of my lip in nervousness. This was the first time I’ve ever been in this kind of confrontation. Ever. For years I’ve pushed boys away in fear for Aoife and myself. Now all of a sudden a boy I’ve only met twice is falling head over heels for me?

“Maybe you should just let it roll…” Suggested Mary with a shrug as she finally dropped her hands down; they landed with a smack in her lap.

Scratching the back of my head I turned to the eight year old, “Frank, what do you think I should do?”

“I think you should give Joe a chance. He really likes you.”

“Are you really eight?” Mary questioned as she faced Frankie with a bright grin. “Cause I swear you give the best advice ever,” she giggled as Frankie was unfazed by her rambling, never moving his eyes from the television. “Dude. I think he’s the smartest kid ever.”

A vast knock came from the door and I gracefully stood from the couch and ran over to answer it. Opening the door Joe hugged me tightly around my waist, picked me up, and carried me over to the couch. He was about to say something, probably very loud, but he noticed Aoife laying down on the loveseat sleeping peacefully. He set me down lightly before putting his finger against his lips.

Silently I watched him in pure amazement as he swiftly picked up my daughter, enveloping her in his muscular arms. My heart ached as he stared down at her with the most caring expression I had ever seen, not even Kevin’s glee when he was with my daughter could compare to the look Joe Jonas gave her. It was so fatherly. Meeting my gaze he motioned with his head for me to follow him upstairs.

The three of us entered the guestroom, which had a Mickey Mouse crib set up in the corner of the room. Joe waltzed over to it and carefully placed Aoife down on the bed. Pulling the covers over my daughter Joe’s fingers lingered over her body before he gently brushed them across her cheeks, “She is so beautiful,” he whispered adoringly.

Laughing quietly I moved beside Joe who continued to watch my daughter in such an amazing way, I’d never thought that a man could ever look at her that way. With such love, compassion… a look only a father can give.

“You should be proud that she wants you to be her dad…” Wincing, I hadn’t really meant to let that slip out of my mouth; it could give Joe the wrong idea.

He averted his eyes to mine, those chocolate eyes stared intently; I bet he could read me like a book, “Are you proud?”

Definitely gave him the wrong idea. “Wh-what?”

“Proud that she chose me? She could have wanted Kevin… or Nick… but she wants me to be her dad…” I stared at his nose; I didn’t want to look into his tantalizing eyes. “Are you proud that she chose me?”

“Joe, why do you keep putting me in this situation?” I questioned, scrunching my face in confusion I moved my honey eyes back to his deep ones.

“Because I like you.”

“We barley know each other Joe,” shaking my head I stared at him, hard. Did he not see that this was too fast? The two of us could barley be considered friends! The most we hung out was at that burger restaurant!

“Does time really matter?”

I scoffed trying to sound as convincing as possible, “Of course it does!”

“Really?” He quizzed, he obviously not buying my answer. “Because I see the way that you look at me. We have something. Admit it.”

“Joe…”

“Don’t Joe me. You know it’s true.”

However, before I could reject his statement, Joe bent down and connected my lips with his. Cautiously he placed his hand on my right cheek and his free hand behind my head, deepening the kiss. Regretfully a tear fell from the crevices of my eye only to collide with his fingers. He pulled away from me slowly, a concerned expression across his handsome features.

“I’m sorry…” was all he could see as he watched tears fall from my eyes. “Did… ugh… Beth. I’m so sorry. Please don’t cry.”

“No, Joe,” I wiped my cheeks in a rush to dry the tears. “Its just I’m scared.”

“I am not going to hurt you.”

“Can I be honest with you?” Joe nodded his head to answer my question. He positioned his hands on my waist, securing them there tightly as if he was afraid I would run away at any given second. “I’ve never had a boyfriend before. Like… ever. And I’m scared of getting my heart broken… I don’t want to have to deal with something like that. Aoife doesn’t need to see me with stress and, and worry and I don’t want her to see me cry over a boy.”

“… You’ve never had a boyfriend?” A lopsided smile spread across his lips.

I furrowed my eyebrows; I think he was missing the big picture here, “No.”

“Can I be your first boyfriend?”

Wait… what?
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I do not own the Jonas Brothers.

This chapter might shock you. I wanted to do something a bit original, but cliche at the same time.