Status: Completed

Bottom of the Blackest Hole

Engagement Ring

“What are you doing here?” I clutched on my oversized jacket tighter around me. It was my day off, but Courtney had to go to work.

“I’m taking you to dinner…,” Josh muttered under his breath, looking down at his shoes. I haven’t seen him in a week and now he’s in front of my door step, taking me to dinner?

“I don’t get it,” I admitted.

“It doesn’t really take a genius to know what’s going on. But since you aren’t a genius however, I’ll explain. I’m. Taking. You. To. Dinner.” He was now staring at me with an annoyed expression. He looked behind me as if wanting to come inside the cozy and warm apartment. No way was I letting him in.

“I still don’t get it.”

He groaned in frustration. “I don’t want to do this as much as you do, alright? But I have to.”

“Why?”

“Look, you’re not making this any easier.”

“I would if you’d just tell me why.”

“Fine,” he murmured, “My mom reserved a table for us at this one restaurant.”

“Because?” I asked.

“I’ll tell you if you let me in. It’s freezing out here.” I thought about it for a minute before slamming the door in his face.

“Bitch,” he muttered on the other side of the door. I chuckled before walking to the kitchen.

“Let me in!” He yelled.

“Say the magic word,” I teased, licking my dry lips.

“You are such…fine, fine. Please?” I walked to the door and opened it, motioning him to come in.

“Now, was that so hard? So, because,” I pressed on.

Josh shrugged stiffly. “It’s a surprise. Go get dressed. The table is reserved for eight at night and it’s already seven.” He said, “And you have to go. I would carry you if I have no choice.”

“It’s not formal, is it?” I nervously asked.

“Oh, gee, I don’t know. I’m only wearing this suit because I feel like it,” he said sarcastically.

“You can’t make me go,” I stubbornly said. I crossed my arms over my chest. I wasn’t big enough for people to think that I have a person inside of me yet.

“Please? Just please go get into something nice and come?” he begged desperately.

I looked up at him, surprised. He was actually begging him? He must be desperate.

“Alright. Let me, um, just change and stuff…,” I trailed off. Josh seated himself on one of the couch, flipping through the TV channels already. “Make yourself at home,” I muttered to myself.

I came out twenty minutes later, wearing one of Courtney’s dresses, since I didn’t have one of my own. It was a midnight blue gown that had a v-neck shaped that wasn’t too deep. It fit tightly, not too tightly, but enough so that my curves showed. The dress ended just on my lower thighs. I stared warily at the shoes she had to match the dress. They all looked…dangerous. Shrugging, I put on my socks and black Converse and grabbed black pair of flats and stuff them in my purse. If I wore them now, my feet will be frozen.

I put on mascara and a little eye liner. I let my hair down with my natural waves. After that I opened my closet and got out my coat. My eyes caught on a different coat. A huge one that was clearly not mine. Josh. I borrowed that from him. I thought about giving it to him, but it seemed like he didn’t even remember. I’ll give it to him later.

“I’m ready…,” I paused and saw that Josh was looking at the stack of books I was reading earlier. They were all about how to be mothers, what to do when your baby cries, and all that stuff. My face flushed with embarrassment.

Josh looked up at me. His face expressionless. “Let’s go.”

I quietly followed him downstairs to his awaiting, expensive, black, and sleek BMW.

--

“We’re here,” he stiffly announced. We were parked in front of a busy looking restaurant. The store screamed: money, posh, rich!

I took off my Converse and socks; he stared at me weirdly, and then slipped into my flats.

“Come on,” I got out of the car, the cold air biting my revealing skin.

“Reservation for Anderson and guest.” He drawled to the red faced looking Chinese woman. She looked up at him and blushed.

“Yes, right this way,” she motioned us to a table of two. The area was exclusive. “You’re waiter will be here soon,” then she looked at me with envious eyes and left.

“Hello, I’m Tom, I’ll be your waiter today,” a man in his mid twenties said. He smiled widely at me and turned to smile at Josh, it looked force. I politely smiled back. “What would you to drink?”

“Two glasses of wine,” Josh absently said.

“Um, a glass of water for me please,” I remembered reading in one of my books that pregnant mothers aren’t suppose to drink alcohol. Josh looked at me then at Tom.

“Water and wine, then.” Tom left then, he repeatedly said water and wine, water and wine, water and wine, as he left.

We sat quietly until I couldn’t take the silence anymore, “What’s the surprise?”

“Patience, patience,” he murmured as our drinks were served. I ordered clam chowder, salad, and Alfredo Fettuccine. I was tempted to order the Steak, just because it was fifty dollars.

We finished our food and ordered dessert. I tapped my hands on my lap patiently. I was going to die soon if he’s not going to tell me.

“Here,” Josh slid something across the table. He moved his hand so I saw what it was. A blue, velvet box. It looked like an engagement r-

Oh crap.

He was proposing. I seriously thought he was messing with me when he told the press we were getting married.

“You’re kidding, right?” He looked darkly at me.

“Look, Josh, I don’t th-”

“For god sakes, just open the box.”

I huffed. “Fine. So pushy.” I slowly opened the box; I turned my head away so I couldn’t see what was inside.

“Look at it, Bailey.” Annoyance was clear in his voice.

I hesitantly turned my head and looked down at it.

“It’s a key,” I deadpanned.

“Great observation, smart one.”

“What does this key do?” I picked it up and studied it.

“It opens something.”

I sighed heavily. “I know that, but what?”

“It opens a door.” I groaned.

“Josh…”

“It opens my condo room.”

“It opens what?”

“My condo room, genius. The one you spent the night over?” I went cherry-tomato at the last part.

“Why are you giving it to me then?” I asked.

“I want you to move to my place. Your place is a little scary there. Not safe for a pregnant woman. I have extra security in mine, plus, we’re getting married, so why not just move in early?”

“S-so you believe the baby is yours?”

He narrowed his eyes. “We’re getting a DNA test when it’s born.”

“Oh. Wait. We’re still getting…married?” I squeaked at the last part.

“If the baby is mine,” he started.

“It is yours…,” I sang quietly. He gave me a look so I quieted.

“If the baby is mine,” he repeated, “I want to be part of its life. Besides, what kind of a man would I be if I got a girl pregnant and I’m not responsible? I have more pride then to run or ignore you.”

“Can’t we just, I don’t know, not get married? You could still be a part of her life.” I suggested.

“My family will kill me if I do that. I’m pretty old fashion, anyways,” he stated then looked at me, surprised, “You said ‘her’.”

I rubbed my arm shyly. “Yeah…I kinda hope it would be a she.., you know?”

He pressed his lips together. “You should probably get home.”

“Mmkay, but can I get a to-go for this cake. I didn’t eat it so I want to save some for my friend.” Courtney was going to freak once I tell her about today. Tom wrapped up my chocolate cake and handed it to me. I thanked him and followed Josh outside when he paid.

The going back home car ride was eerie. The car suddenly stopped and I noticed we were in front of my apartment building.

I got out of the car slowly.

“Oh, and um, Bailey?” I turned to him.

“Yeah?”

“I’ll pick you up next week on Wednesday so you have time to pack,” I was just about to interrupt but he added, “and to think. I think this is the best answer. Oh, and tell your friend to be careful when she eats the cake. Make sure she looks at what she eats. She might choke.” I stared strangely at him.

“Um, alright. Thanks for the, uh, warning.” And with that, he drove away.

--

“So I guess you’re moving out then, huh?” Courtney asked sadly.

“I don’t have to go. I’ll just tell him you need me to help pay the rent.” I said quickly.

“Bay, we’re in New York. I’ll find a new roommate in like five seconds. Besides, this place is a junk, the rent isn’t that much.”

“Still…,” I trailed.

Courtney took a huge bite out of the chocolate cake.

“Oh god. This taste heavenly.” She groaned and took another bite.

“Ow!” she screeched. I looked alarmingly at her.

“There’s something in this cake. I bit it.” She took it out and gasped.

“What? What’s wrong?”

She held the object in my face. A ring, with silver band, and a square diamond, covered with gooey chocolate and Courtney’s saliva.

“It’s your engagement ring.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I was on youtube...looking for the official lulluby that Edward made for Bella.
I don't think they have it yet...but.
I found a song.
An amazing song.
Simply BEAUTIFUL.

Seriously.
It's called River Flows in You by Yiruma.
It's just...so pretty, ya know?
Can't really describe it.
You should listen to it.

And while you're there, listen to Family Tradition by Senses Fail.
It's awesome. [:
My current favorite song...for now.