Wake Me Up When This Nightmare Ends

Chapter 3

Later in the afternoon, Billie said he has some work to do. He said Mike, Tre and he are arranged to meet, because they had to talk about the shooting of Working Class Hero. I was sad a little, ‘cause we were supposed to have family lunch, which happens very rarely.

Usually we are all busy. The kids were looking forward to the lunch, too, but I realize his career is very important, so I just pretended everything’s okay. He still saw me disappointed and sad, so he tried to comfort me: “I’ll be soon home. I promise. And we can have the lunch tomorrow. It’s gonna be ok. You’ll see.”

Ha ha. Like he came home soon when he went out with the guys. I hardly believe this is going to be an exception. I still smiled and kissed him goodbye.

After he went I heard a quiet voice behind me: “Where is daddy going? Won’t he be on the lunch?”

I turned around and saw Jakob, looking at me with his sad questioning eyes. I held him in my arms. Although he isn’t so small and light I brought him in the living room. I put him down on the couch and bend to him.

“No, Jakob. I’m sorry. Daddy isn’t going to come to lunch. But he promised he will tomorrow.”

“You say that every day. The other day I saw a dad playing football with his son. My daddy doesn’t do that. He always has some more important stuff.” A tear slipped down his face.

“Jakob… it’s not easy for me, too. And so isn’t for daddy. Believe me. He loves you very much and me and Joey. But that’s the thing why he hasn’t so much time. He has to build his career, so he can support you two. But if you really want to play football with him sometimes I’m sure he would find some time for it. Maybe tomorrow, after lunch. What do you think?”

His face cleared up and his small mouth slowly spread in a smile. “Yeeeeees! That would be great!”

“See? Everything is gonna be fine. But you have to be aware that your daddy is famous and known all over the world. That’s why he is so busy. That depends upon his success. And luck, too. You know… that means a lot to him. Music is his life. Maybe you don’t really understand all of it now, but you will when you are older.”

“Okay mom. You are so great.” he smiled so beautifully and hugged me. Oh, I love my family so much. Like he was reading my mind, he said: “I love you too, mom. Very much!”

I was very happy now.

Than Joey came into the room. “Where’s dad?”

Oh dear… I’ll have to explain it again, I thought. “He’s not home. He’s at the studio with Tre and Mike. It was urgent.”

“Oh… what a shame. I thought we were having family lunch today. Didn’t he promise he’ll be home?”

As I opened my mouth to cheer him up, too, Jakob surprisingly interrupted me. He started explaining with deadly serious voice to Joey: “You know, daddy has a job. It’s very important for him. The lunch can wait for tomorrow. And football can wait, too. As long as daddy's happy." “Aha…” replied Joey with the same serious voice. “You’re right, Jakob. Dad has very important job. Come on, let’s play with cars.”

“Okay.”

And so they left. Well, interesting how everything came up. I was thinking about Jakob’s words. As long as daddy’s happy. Hm… I remembered the thing in the basement again. What were they talking about, so I shouldn’t know? Maybe they didn’t meet just because of that. Or maybe even worse: maybe he didn’t meet with Mike and Tre. Oh… I had to drive away these thoughts. I rather went to the kids, so they couldn’t say I don’t spend enough time with them, too.

“Mommyy… Come play with us.”

I was happy I was so gladly accepted. “Okay.”

“Look. You’ll have this car. Or would you like the red one?

“I don’t care. Which one is better?”

“Hmm… the red one!”

“Okay, then I’ll have the red one.”

I absorbed in playing with Joey and Jakob so much. And I have to admit I really enjoyed. I’m sure there is a part of inner child in everyone. And it has to be like this!