Betting Chances

Awed

Normal Point Of View.

I casually walked back to my locker while Hailey ran off somewhere. If I'm correct, which my assumptions usually are, she's gone off to creep and/or flirt with Zack. This usually leads to her running back her in about three seconds to tell me what happened or to horribly lie.

"Jesse! Jesse!" Hailey ran over into my direction, holding her beret down as she did.

I stifled back a laugh as she began panting right in front of me, "Trying out for track? Well, I'm sorry, but I don't think you'll cut it." I smirked.

"Hey, guess what. Shut up." She glared.

I rolled my eyes, "What is it?"

Hailey put either hand on my shoulders, "I need you to cover for me tonight."

I copied her, "Why?"

She dropped her arms to her sides, "Zack invited me to go to the beach tonight for a bonfire. Please, Jesse? Please, please, please, please--"

"Shut up!" I covered her mouth. "I'll cover for you alright?"

"Yes!" She pounced on me.

We fell to the floor, me being on the bottom of course.

"Am I interrupting something?" We both looked up to see a boy with two toned hair standing in front of us. He held a smile on his lips. He was cute.

"Hails, can you get up? Please?" I said with whatever breath she didn't press out of me.

"My b," Hailey stood up then extended her hand out to help me. She pulled me so that her lips were at my ear. "He's cute!"

"Thanks for the newsflash." I whispered back with a slap to her head.

She pouted.

I rolled my eyes.

The boy coughed, "Do you think I can talk to Jesse? Alone?"

"Hailey, scoot." I mumbled.

"Oh!" Hailey grabbed her books then ran off. She winked at me then held up the shape on a heart with her hands just over the boy's head.

I rolled my eyes again. "Can I help you?" I turned to him.

"Um, well, I'm Jack." He held out his hand.

"Jesse."

"Yea, I know." He laughed. "Anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to go to a bonfire with me tonight." He said calmly.

I smiled shyly. "That'd be fun."

"So you'll go with me?" He asked hopefully.

"Well, I have to think about it." I said quickly, weighing out the consequences in the back of my mind behind the part of my brain that couldn't stop staring at him. "I have an exam tomorrow."

"Oh," his face sank.

"But I promise, if I can, I'll go and meet up with you." I smiled. I just ruined a completely good opportunity to finally get a boyfriend. Stupid stupid stupid, Jesse!

Jack suddenly smiled, "Sounds good. Because I really like you and I never asked you out before like I planned to because I always came up with an excuse not to--I'm rambling now, aren't I?" We laughed.

I giggled, "That's alright. It's cute."

"Here--" He handed me a slip of paper. "Call me later, okay?"

I blushed then nodded.

Jack kissed my cheek then walked away occasionally looking back at me with a smile.

I could feel my legs turning into jello already. I fell back against my locker and slid to the floor. A dazed smile danced it's way on my face as I held the slip of paper that had Jack's number scribbled on it to my chest.

"Aw! You're love-struck!!!" A voice said above me.

I looked up only to see Hailey standing there with an awed look on her face.

"It's so cute! My sister is finding love!" She pulled me into a bone-crushing hug.

"Yea, Hails, you hear that crack? Yea, that was one of my ribs."

"I don't care if I break your ribs just as long as they heal in time for your date!" She let go of me then bounced up and down.

I rolled my eyes, "I told Jack--"

"Ooooh! Jack." She winked.

"Yes, Jack, now don't interrupt me. I told Jack that I'd think about it--"

"WHAT?! Why?!"

"Don't interrupt me! I have an exam tomorrow! And so do you by the way!'

"Oh, screw exams! The difficulty is all in the hype! Now you are going on that date with Jack whether you like it or not!"