This Cloud Just Keeps on Covering

Eight

As I had predicted, Gerard was on his way to the apartment. Lindsey had to leave for her own tour, leaving Gerard on his own. When she was on tour, he pretty much lived with Frank and I.

Gerard flipped through the TV channels, resting his head in his hand. I watched the screen, playing absentmindedly with my hair. Behind us, Frank slowly walked into the room, yawning loudly.

"Hey Gee," Frank said sleepily.

"Hey Frank," Gerard replied slowly.

Frank smiled at me as he sat down on the couch. When he saw his older friend, though, he frowned. Gerard stared at the TV sadly, his head still resting in his pale hand.

"You okay, Gerard?" Frank asked.

Gerard nodded. "Yeah."

Frank nodded, knowing something actually was wrong. Whenever Gerard said everything was okay, it usually wasn't. But, we let him think. Sometimes it was better to let him think about it first.

I walked into the kitchen, grabbing a few mugs. Filling them up with coffee, I looked over my shoulder to see Mikey sitting in the chair in the living room, almost asleep. I smiled at him and took the mugs of coffee back to the living room. As soon as I set the mugs down, Gerard suddenly perked up. He smiled at me kindly and took his coffee, sipping it down slowly.

"I knew you would want coffee," I laughed.

"When would I ever turn down this delicious treat?" Gerard asked, chuckling also.

I shrugged. "I dunno. I guess never."

"Good answer."

Laughing, I snuggled up with one of the pillows from the couch, looking over to the TV. When I saw a little kid on one of the commercials, I giggled. Frank turned to me, his golden eyes questioning.

"What?" he asked.

"Mikey wants us to have kids," I said, looking over to my brother.

At that, Mikey shot up from his seat, eyes wide, Gerard nearly spilled his coffee all over my couches, and Frank, well, he seemed like he was going into shock. Gerard turned to our brother, mouth wide open.

"She's like, twenty!" Gerard said, eyes wide.

"I didn't say I wanted them to have kids! I just asked why they didn't have kids!" Mikey objected, his cheeks turning beet red.

"K-kids?" Frank asked, his hands shaking slightly.

My two brothers turned to Frank and I, both with curious eyes. I smiled at them and shook my head. Frank gave a sigh of relief.

"I don't really want kids, I guess," I said, shrugging.

"Why don't you just adopt one?" Mikey suggested.

Gerard threw him a dirty look, his hazel eyes in a narrow glare. Mikey sunk back into his seat, keeping his eyes away from our other brother. Frank bit at his lip and shrugged.

"I dunno. I mean, that would be kinda cool to adopt one," Frank mused.

"Yeah, I would rather adopt if I had to have a kid," I said, nodding.

"But you don't want kids now, Tess. You're only twenty," Gerard said, biting his own lip tightly.

"Maybe."

Gerard stared at me with worried eyes, but nodded. The four of us sat in silence, looking at the TV. But, when Gerard's phone rang, I jumped. Gerard gave a small laughed and smiled when he answered his phone. He excused himself and walked out of the room, no doubt talking to Lindsey.

From beside me, Frank looked to me, his eyes confused. I held onto his hand. He nodded over to our bedroom. I understood that one. Nodding, I got up with him and followed him into the room. He sat down, resting his head in his hands. I smiled at him and rubbed his back.

"Would you really wanna adopt?" he asked.

"I mean, it sounds kind of cool. If I had the choice, I would rather just adopt. What about you?" I questioned.

"Same."

I nodded and leaned onto his shoulder. He lightly kissed my head and looked around the room, the sound of Gerard's laughter filling the hallway. I smiled; whenever Gerard or Mikey laughed, it put a smile on my face. I guess you could say I was still mushy around sibling love. Call me weird, but when my brothers smile, I can't help but to smile back.

"What are you smiling about?" Frank asked, giggling.

"Nothin'," I answered, raising and lowering my shoulders.

"Girl stuff?"

"Sure."

Frank laughed and lightly pushed me to the side. I got up off of the bed and walked out of the room, Frank following. Mikey stared at us with questioning eyes.

"What was that about?" Mikey asked me.

"Nothing. We just had a little talk," I said, smiling at him.

"Look, about me starting the whole thing about kids-" he started.

"No. Don't worry about it. We'll think about it," I said.

Mikey nodded and gave me a small smile.

"Okay."