Unbelievably Brilliant, Undoubtedly Impossible

chapter two;

The girls had picture perfect seats, ones that seemed too good to be true. Rachel was the one to point this out.

“Woooow! These seats are so awesome!”

Michelle nodded in agreement, “I wonder how Stocky (their boss) got a hold of them?”

Michelle turned to Andrea to ask what she thought, but instead saw Andrea decked out in sunglasses, a scarf and a baseball cap.

“Dude, did you forget to tell me about some past criminal record or something?”

Andrea forced a laugh, “No, no. I just didn’t want to get burnt.”

Michelle instantly caught onto her lie, “Hunny, you’re like the most tanned out of all of us.”

This statement sent Rachel into a complaining mood, going on and on about the time she had spent in the tanning beds. Andrea was thinking about how Stocky got the tickets and at the same time ignoring Rachel. It suddenly clicked.

“He tricked us.”

“Who tricked us?” Michelle asked, having no idea what Andrea was talking about.

“Stocky sent us here to be used as publicity. Hence the t-shirts,” Andrea said pointing to her shirt that read “Stockman’s Sport’s Goods. From One Professional to Another.

Michelle’s look suddenly harden, “That son-of-“

But Michelle was cut off by the announcers. Andrea suddenly froze, realizing who was in the final. Rachel gasped, “Oh my god, Rafa is so hot! Isn’t he so hot, right Andy?”

Andrea forced a smile, “Rachel…Remember why we came here again?”

Rachel gave Andrea a puzzled look.

“Okay then…We came to watch tennis not the players.”

“But I thought the players were included in tennis?” Rachel whined.

“That’s not the point,” Andrea barked.

Michelle jumped in, fulfilling her role as referee, “Now, now ladies. Let’s be civil, because we all know tennis is a civilized sport.”

Andrea and Rachel sent each other dirty looks and turned to watch the spectacular match. The match lasted several hours, thanks to a couple of rain delays. But Rafael Nadal came out on top, beating Roger Federer; 6-4 6-4 6-7 6-7 9-7.

Andrea couldn’t stop smiling; her favourite player had finally won Wimbledon. Michelle couldn’t stop scowling, disappointed that her favourite player had lost. She was muttering obscenities, when Andrea interrupted her.

“Come on, what happened to good sportsmanship?” Andrea said with a smug look.

Michelle scowled even more, “Why I oughta wipe that smirk off your face!”

Andrea wiggled out of her seat to escape Michelle’s lunging body, only to have another person land on her.

Andrea looked up to see Rafael Nadal staring down at her with wide eyes.

“I’m so sorry. Are you okay?” Rafael asked in broken English.

Andrea instantly blushed, but fought it off. “Don’t worry about me, go to your family.”

Rafael smiled, making him even more angelic. “Gracias señorita.” Rafael made his way up to his family, but a certain dark-eyed beauty occupied his mind.

Andrea turned to her friend, completely dumbstruck. “Someone pinch me.”

Rachel leaned over and pinched Andrea’s arm.

“Ow!” Andrea said, swatting away Rachel’s hand away. “I didn’t mean it literally!”

Rachel’s mouth formed an “o,” embarrassed of her mistake.

Michelle yawned, “Come on you two. We need to head home, Stocky has us booked for the morning shift.”

Andrea and Rachel shared disappointed looks and pushed their way through the crowd to get to the parking lot. Andrea felt a pair of eyes on her and turned to see Rafael Nadal looking at her. He immediately blushed as he realized he had been discovered. Andrea put on a confident smile and waved, which Rafa returned, quite sheepishly.

Michelle collapsed into the living room, “That. Was a match for the ages.” Rachel and Andrea followed suit into their respective chairs, sighing in agreement.

The night passed all too quickly and the three found themselves at work with an all too eager boss. “You girls were wonderful!” Stocky boomed.

The girls exchanged confused looks.

“I mean, the match was wonderful!” Stocky said quickly, realizing his mistake.

Michelle stepped forward to voice her disgust of Stocky’s sexist, egotistical approach to publicity, but Andrea was quick to pull Michelle back. “Are you trying to get fired?” Andrea whispered harshly.

Michelle looked to Andrea and gave her a look that said “thank-god-you-stopped-me.”

The morning went by slow; the store was fairly small so they basically had a regular group of customers. The girls were on break when Stocky came to talk, they could hear the heavy footsteps outside the lunchroom door.

Andrea turned to Michelle and whispered, “Don’t say anything that will get you fired. I don’t want to have to beg Stocky to give you your job back…again.”

Michelle huffed, “That was one time. Give me a break.”

Stocky threw the door open as if he was making a grand entrance. “Good morning ladies!” he said eagerly.

Rachel was quick to respond. “Uh…I think its afternoon,” she said looking down at her designer watch.

Stocky’s smile faltered, but he was quick to replace it. “Of course, but I have a surprise for you ladies.”

The girls remained quiet.

“My close friend, a retired professional like myself, is putting on a tennis camp for young adults and I overheard you three talking about learning to play. So…I was able to snag three spots.”

Michelle and Rachel squealed in excitement, as Andrea looked completely horrified.