Unbelievably Brilliant, Undoubtedly Impossible

chapter three;

Andrea couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She had already escaped tennis once. Now she had to do it again?

Michelle noticed Andrea’s pained look and elbowed her in the side. She whispered coldly, “Don’t ruin this for us.” Andrea’s frown was quickly replaced with a smile. She wanted to keep her friends happy and this would be a great way to grow closer.

“Now the camp is a week long, so you’ll have the week off. You’re welcome to purchase your tennis gear here with, of course, your employee discount,” Stocky said with an eager smile.

The girls exchanged looks, agreeing to not buy their stuff here. Andrea was the first to actually respond to Stocky, “What about the other details? Like location and dates?”

Stocky looked offended, as if was impossible that he had forgotten to give them, “They’re right here in this brochure. Now the camp starts tomorrow, so I’m giving you the rest of the day off to go buy your gear.”

Before Stocky had even finished his sentence, the girls rushed out of the store, grabbing the brochure in the process. The afternoon was dedicated to buying: tennis racquets, bags, balls, clothing and all of the other accessories. Rachel bought everything in pink, very stereotypical of her. While Michelle bought everything in white with silver accents, wanting to keep the game “sophisticated.” Andrea bought her gear in green and grays, which accentuated her Spanish heritage.

The girls collapsed in the same manner as the night before, completely exhausted from shopping. That was the one thing (aside from tennis) they all had in common, they loved to shop. Michelle was reading the camp brochure when she broke the silence with a gasp.

Andrea was quick to ask, “What’s wrong?”

Michelle gave her friends a devilish grin, “There’s going to be a guest coach.”

Rachel, easily confused, asked, “What’s so special about that.”

Michelle started hitting herself with in the brochure in discontent which made Rachel frown. She turned to Andrea to ask, “What did I do wrong?”

Andrea laughed, “Don’t mind her. I think she meant that a player from either the ATP or WTA is going to be the guest coach.”

Rachel nodded and turned to Michelle, “Why couldn’t you have just said that?!?”

“Because it’s more fun to see you be confused at simple things,” Michelle said with a smirk.

Rachel’s face grew angry, as she chased Michelle around the flat. Andrea softly laughed at her bizarre friends and headed off to bed as she would be having a long day tomorrow.

The three girls drove to the local tennis academy to find girls and guys around their age filing into the tennis courts. Andrea softly laughing to herself, most of the girls looked like they were here to meet guys (including Rachel). The guys on the other hand, looked like they were here to play tennis, not to meet girls. Okay, so they were here to meet girls a little bit.

The first day was pretty slow. The head coach, Michael, was very good at tennis. It was obvious that he once played in the ATP. The day was filled with the basics. Andrea caught on very quickly, for several obvious reasons. Michelle was a good athlete, so she was caught on fairly quickly. The person that surprised Andrea the most was Rachel, who was playing amazing.

During one of the water breaks, Andrea was able to ask Rachel about her superb tennis skills. “Rachel, I didn’t know you played tennis?”

Rachel gave Andrea a “duh” look, “I’ve been playing since I was like 7. Daddy put me in lessons.” Michelle and Andrea gave each other “of course” looks.

The group of almost 40 players were growing more and more anxious as the day wore on. The guest coach still hadn’t been announced. At the end of the day, Michelle finally asked Michael, “When are we going to meet the guest coach?!”

Michael laughed, “You’ll meet them tomorrow. And with that, I’ll see everyone tomorrow.”

The girls made their way back home, the car ride silent because they were all so exhausted. But also because the girls were trying to figure out who the mysterious guest coach was. A quick supper was followed by an early night to bed.

The girls were very anxious the next morning to meet the infamous guest coach. Michelle wanted to talk strategy, while Rachel hoped it was a male coach, especially a cute one. And Andrea just hoped that they didn’t recognize her.

The tennis stands were filled with the anxious tennis players, waiting for Michael and his announcement.

“Everyone,” Michael boomed. “I would like to introduce our guest coach…”

Everyone was on the edge of their seats, anticipating who it was.

“Mr. Rafael Nadal.”

The group erupted into cheers. While the three girls’ jaws dropped to the ground. The girls were swooning over him. The guys were in awe of his muscles. But the one thing Rafael was looking at was Andrea.

And everyone took notice of that.