Unbelievably Brilliant, Undoubtedly Impossible

chapter four;

Andrea quickly averted her gaze to Michael, who was explaining the schedule for the day. Rafael couldn’t get this brown eyed beauty off his mind. Was it the same girl from Wimbledon? Did she remember him? He quickly dismissed these childish thoughts aside.

The morning went by quickly; surprisingly a lot of the tennis players were getting better. Andrea, on the other hand hindered her improvement. During the lunch break, Andrea overhead a couple of guys boasting that they could easily beat Rafa. Andrea snorted in laughter when she heard this, which didn’t please the guys.

“And you think you could beat him?” One of the boys asked.

Andrea waltzed up to the boy and stood inches away, “I don’t think. I know.”

“Very well. Michael said we could challenge Rafa to a mini-game. So there’s your chance to prove it.”

Andrea gulped in nervousness. She didn’t think the guys would want her to actually prove it.

When the group rejoined, Michael announced that Rafa would play mini-games against anyone. Andrea hoped that the guys would forget about the “dare,” but when no one volunteered, they announced that Andrea wanted to play.

Michael spotted Andrea amongst the group, “Do you want to give it a shot?”

Andrea stood tall and turned to Rafa with a smirk on her face, “Bring. It. On.”

The two opponents went and prepared themselves for the match. Rafa went through his pre-game rituals. While Andrea went to Michael, “I want to play a full match. Best two out of three, “ she demanded.

Michael looked at her like she had grown a third eye. “Do you really want to do that?” he asked sceptically.

“Yes,” is all she said.

And so the match started, Michael took the position as chair umpire. While the rest of the group filled the other roles; lines people and ball people. Andrea was getting more and more furious as the match went on. The reason being Andrea was playing her best tennis in years and Rafa was not.

She won the first set 7-5, utilising her only break point opportunity in the 11th game. It was as if Rafa purposely gave her the chance. The second set flew by and Andrea was fuming. Neither of the two players were giving up, or so it seemed.

Until the 12th game in the 2nd set, when Rafa was serving. He missed two easy forehands to give Andrea match point. And that point was brutal.

Rafa served wide, which Andrea was just able to reach; her return just cleared the net. Rafa was quick enough to get there, but Andrea was quicker. She was able to race to the net and lob the ball over Rafa’s head.

What made the point brutal was that Andrea saw Rafa prepare to jump and make a backwards smash. But he didn’t follow through. Andrea was fuming at the net, while Rafa came to the net smiling. “Great game Andrea,” Rafa said eagerly.

“You let me win,” Andrea seethed.

Rafa was taken back, why was this girl so angry? Didn’t she like to win?

Michael was especially happy, seeing Andrea’s full potential; he knew she would be great. As everyone filed out of the court, Michael pulled Rafa and Andrea aside. “Rafa, could you please talk to Andrea in my office about playing professionally?”

Rafa nodded and guided a very pissed off Andrea to Michael’s office. A staring (more like glaring) contest soon followed. Andrea was furious at Rafa for letting her win, while Rafa was trying to figure Andrea out. Andrea was sick of the silence and turned to leave. Rafa stopped her and put her in a vice grip.

Andrea started yelling obscenities at Rafa, questioning his tennis morale and sportsmanship. Rafa was growing angrier by the minute, something he didn’t do often.

Andrea was suddenly cut off by Rafa’s lips, her eyes shut immediately as Rafa pushed her against the door, deepening the kiss. Their tongues battled for dominance, neither one of them willing to back down, thanks to their competitive nature.

Andrea playfully ran her hands through Rafa’s hair as Rafa moved his hands down to her hips. He softly drew circles, and then slowly moved his hands up Andrea’s shirt. She froze.

What was she thinking? Kissing her tennis coach?

She looked up at Rafa with wide eyes and bolted. Andrea sprinted out of the office and straight to the parking lot where Michelle and Rachel would be waiting. Andrea heard Rafa calling after her, but she ran even faster.

Andrea wasn’t watching where she was going and almost ploughed into Michelle. “Woah! Where’s the fire?” Michelle asked as she caught Andrea.

Andrea steadied herself, catching her breath but didn’t have a response. She saw Rafa rounding the corner with her tennis bag. “Rafa and I were racing and I obviously won,” Andrea replied with a slight uneasiness to her voice.

Michelle just stared at Andrea, trying to figure out if she was lying of not. But she was interrupted when Rafa joined them.

“You…forgot…this,” Rafa said in between breathes, handing Andrea her bag.

Before Andrea could reply, Rachel cut in. “Rafa,” she said seductively. “Since you’re new to London and everything. How bout I should you around?”

Rafa looked from Rachel to Andrea and then back to Rachel. He hoped Andrea would give him a silent answer, but she didn’t.

“I’d love to,” Rafa said eagerly. “How’s tomorrow night?”

Rachel squealed in excitement as Andrea’s jaw dropped in amazement.