Status: indefinite hiatus

Siren's Song

Love and Pain and Promises

Dancing comprised only a small part of our day. We spent much of it just talking and laughing together. I met Alfred again, and this time wasn’t so distracted, so was able to realize that he seemed to care a lot for Bruce, and Bruce for him. They were like family. It brought a smile to my face.

The day passed more quickly then I realized, and it wasn’t long before the striking of the clock made me jump.

‘Eight? Already?’

He must have seen the look on my face, because Bruce frowned.

“You can’t go yet,” he said simply.

“I can’t?”

“No, you can’t. I have something planned.” I sighed.

“Okay then. But do you really have to have it planned when I’m still wearing your pajamas?” He smiled.

“Yes. And, for the record, I think you look much better in them than I do.” I grinned and rolled my eyes.

“Come on,” he said, taking my hand. He led me upstairs, to what I took to be his room, and stopped, covering my eyes. Before I could say anything, he spoke. “It’s a surprise.” I smiled again as he guided me along. When he uncovered my eyes, I gasped. We were on the veranda, and a small table was set, complete with candles. I noticed this for a mere moment before becoming distracted by the sky. There were few clouds, and those that were there were thin and wispy, adding to the beauty and mystique. The moon was full, and seemed so close… It was breathtaking.

“Do you like it?” Bruce asked, his arms still around me. I whirled around to face him.

“It’s beautiful. It’s perfect!” I kissed him, resting my head on his shoulder when we pulled apart. “Thank you.” He pulled away and led me over to the table. Once we were seated, we sat and watched the sky, and each other, sipping at our wine. It was almost ten o’clock when we finally went inside. Once we were indoors again, I stopped.

“You aren’t going to let me walk home, are you?” I asked, realizing it all of a sudden.

“Well… No.” I shook my head.

“Unbelievable.”

“You could have left earlier. Before I set up, I mean.”

“Well, maybe I didn’t want to leave,” I said mischievously. He laughed.

“And I wasn’t about to make you.” I walked up to him, kissing him again. This time, it was more intense, as we sought to deepen the kiss. His lip brushed mine, and I let him in, feeling his tongue explore my mouth. He pulled me closer, and my hands went up from his neck to tangle in his hair, as his gripped my waist tightly. In a desperate effort to draw closer, my leg wrapped around him, and his hand moved to my thigh. He pulled from the kiss, moving his mouth to kiss a trail down my neck, to my collarbone. I moaned softly as he found my weak spot. I pulled away and brought his mouth back to mine. Wanting, needing to feel his lips on mine. He lifted me and placed me on the bed, laying next to me, not breaking the kiss. I felt his hands on my hips beneath my shirt. My breath was coming quickly, and his matched mine. I knew where this was going, and it frightened me. At the same time, I wanted it. I wanted it badly. I sighed as clothes came off, slowly. Every movement was filled with indescribable passion. I loved every moment. I gasped when I felt him in me, pain startling me, mixing with pleasure, and let the passion take me away. My mind was filled with nothing but this.

I don’t know exactly how long we spent together, but in the end, I was lying, turned towards him, and he had propped himself on an elbow, staring down at me.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he finally asked.

“Would it have been the same if I had?”

“This… It should have been special.”

“It was special,” I replied sincerely. I continued softly. “It was. Because it was you.” He smiled softly.

“Still…”

“Change the subject, please?” I no longer wanted to talk about my inexperience. He smiled, and fell silent. We lay peacefully until he spoke again.

“What happened?” I looked at him questioningly. “Those scars,” he clarified, tracing the one trailing from my stomach with his finger. I bit my lip and looked away.

“I got them a long time ago. Not long… Not long after my mother died.” His fingers stopped as he waited for more, but I was in another time…

“Get her! Get the witch!”

Tears streamed down my face as I ran from them. Rocks that flew from their fingertips pounded into my legs and back. I struggled to keep going. If I stopped, they’d have me.

I am sixteen years old. It is my birthday.

“It wasn’t my fault.” That’s what I muttered to myself over and over again as I ran from them. Trying to convince myself.

“Get the witch! Kill the witch!”

They scared me. I didn’t want them to catch me. I didn’t want to die.

“Don’t let her get away!”

I collided with a body, stepping back with eyes wide as I saw the knife in his hand. I tried to retreat, but another body stopped me. The one behind me grabbed my wrists, and I couldn’t move. I trembled with fear.

The first man lifts the blade holding it to my face so I can see.

“You earned this. It’s your fault. Now you have to pay.” I shook my head, and he laughed at me. He got closer, and I felt the blade against the soft flesh of my stomach. I screamed in pain as the blade moved downwards, and I felt the warm blood spilling from the cut. I could hear voices, cheering him on. He pulled away, still laughing. I struggled to get away, but the man behind me kicked the back of my leg. I fell to the ground. The man behind me was still holding my arms. I felt the knife again, in my shoulder. I screamed once more.

“Shut up!” He smacked me. “This is what you deserve. You deserve to feel the pain. You deserve to die.”

“No,” I cried to myself. “It’s not my fault. Not my fault…”


“Shhh…” Bruce’s voice was soft in my ear. “It’s okay. Nothing’s going to hurt you now.”

I became aware that I was shaking. I heard someone. “Not my fault… Not my fault.”

It was me.

I took a deep breath. I would not break down. Not again. This had already gone too far. I was stronger than this.

As I stopped shaking, Bruce spoke again.

“You okay, Belle?”

“Yeah… I’m fine. Just some painful memories.”

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked.”

“It’s okay. I’ll tell you one day.. Just not now. I can’t right now.”

“Alright. I understand.” I smiled softly as I nuzzled into him. He kissed my head, and I could feel my racing heart returning to normal again.

“I’ll never let anyone hurt you.” Bruce said softly. "I promise."

“I know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Now.
This chapter was immensely important.
I'm aware of the mood change.
That was intended.
I have part of the next chapter written, but I don't think I'll post until I receive a certain number of comments.
That's not me being selfish.
It's me acknowledging how important this chapter was, and wanting appropriate feedback.

Thank you to those who have already commented, as well as my other readers and five subscribers.

Refer the story, if you will.