Status: indefinite hiatus

Siren's Song

Harmony and Melody

I opened my eyes slowly. I had fallen asleep in Bruce’s arms, but they were no longer around me. I frowned and turned over to see an empty bed. My frowned deepen as I raised myself up on my hands. The room was empty. I got out of the bed and grabbed a large t-shirt and a pair of Bruce’s boxers to cover myself up. I walked out of the room, looking in doors as I ventured down the hallway.

“What are you doing up, Miss Lawrence?” Alfred’s voice questioned. He had stopped calling me Miss Belle upon finding out my supposed surname. I turned to face him.

“Have you seen Bruce?”

“I’m afraid Master Wayne had an urgent call and had to leave. He didn’t want to wake you.” I sighed.

“Alright. Can you tell him I had to go? I should’ve been home hours ago…”

“Are you certain, Miss Lawrence? Master Wayne was worried about you going out so late.”

“I’ll be fine. I’ll even call as soon as I get home.” He looked unhappy.

“Yes, Miss Lawrence.”

“Alfred, you really don’t have to call me that?”

“Call you what, Miss Lawrence?”

“That! You can just call me Isabelle.” He just smiled and I sighed. Throwing on my jacket and grabbing my purse, I went out into the night.

Image

I crept quietly into the warehouse that I called home. I saw no one as I snuck through the hallways, and slid into my room unnoticed, signaling silence to Muse, and allowing sleep to take me for the second time that night.

It was a few hours later before I decided to drag myself from bed. I felt Muse watching me, and turned. He had a sad, lost look in his eyes.

“Are you displeased with me, Mistress?” I was shocked. He looked at me, expecting an answer.

“What do you mean, my Muse?”

“You left me. I was alone. You were not with me.” His voice betrayed his hurt. My eyes widened with realization. Before I had left Saturday night, I had assured him that I would not be gone for long. I hadn’t seen or spoke to him since.

“Oh, Muse,” I said softly, approaching him and putting one hand on his face, “I am so sorry. Can you forgive me? I am a horrible person.”

Perhaps I should explain the significance of me being away. A Muse is, as I’ve mentioned before, the embodiment of a Siren’s music. He - and I will not say she, as all Sirens are women, and all Muses are men - is what allows her to sing. No, that isn’t right. A Muse is a Siren’s other half. He allows her to be what she truly is. In a Siren’s song, he is the music, the foundation. He is the harmony to the Siren’s melody, though he is silent in her song. One cannot be without the other. Each is vital. Were one to pass from this life, so would the other. They thrive off of each other. But a Muse comes to be after a Siren’s first song. He is created of her voice. Without her, he feels empty. That is why what I had done was so important.

“You are not horrible, and you are forgiven. You need never have asked.” I smiled.

“Thank you, my Muse.”

“Will we not be separated again?”

“There may be cause, but it is not now. And I will not make this mistake again.” He nodded, and settled into a silence that was interrupted only by his soft humming. This comfort was interrupted as the door to my bedroom opened.

“Hello, Daddy,” I said without looking up. I knew it was him. None of the clowns would enter my room, and Harley would’ve been louder.

“You’re home,” he said. Anger ran through his voice. “You never called, and you weren’t home when you said you would be.”

“I know, Daddy. We made plans again.” He stomped towards me, fury radiating off of him in waves.

“Plans? You made plans? Do you think I care exactly what kind of plans you made? You disobeyed me! Were you anyone else, I would kill you for something like this!”

“But I’m not anyone else. I’m me, and you won’t. You can be angry all you want, Daddy, but it changes nothing.” He seemed like he would say something else, but he stopped short. Narrowing his eyes, he spoke.

“Why, pray tell, do you smell like Bruce Wayne?” My eyes widened.

“How do you know Bruce?” A slight twitch was all that interfered with his eerie calm.

“We’ve… met.” I stood.

“Daddy, you leave him alone!”

“Oh, I will. I will.” I narrowed my eyes.

“What’s going on?” He started leaving the room.

“All in due time, Isabelle. All in due time…” I furrowed my eyebrows as the door closed behind him.

“Mistress, is this Bruce Wayne the reason for your absence?”

“Yes.” I couldn’t lie to him.

“He is a friend of yours?”

“Yes…”

“Do you care for him?”

“I do, strongly.”

“Does he care for you as well?” I smiled.

“Yes, I believe he really does…” He was silent, but my answer seemed to satisfy him.

“Everybody, suit up! We’re going out!” Daddy’s voice carried down the hall. I sighed and turned to my closet. Midday, and we were going out. Jeez, Daddy got weirder ideas all the time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys!
I'm SO sorry it's taken so long!
My computer was kinda buggy.
Plus I just started the new school this week and I'm still adjusting.
I am really sad though, because I only got two comments last chapter.
Anyways, this goes to house-of-ice for being very mad at me for taking so long.
=)