Status: indefinite hiatus

Siren's Song

Saying No.

It was strange, driving through Gotham’s busy streets and seeing the sun shining through the windshield. Daddy was taking special care not to drive manically. I was looking silently out the deeply tinted windows, smiling to myself as we passed the café where Bruce and I had coffee.

“Something amuse you, Siren?” I fought the urge to roll my eyes. He always called me “Siren,” on runs, never “Bells.“ Likewise, I had to call him “Joker,” or, “Boss.” Of course, there had been times…

“No, I’m just thinking.” He said nothing. I sighed and turned away from the window, leaning my head on Muse’s shoulder. He looked at me questioningly, and I shook my head ever so slightly in response. He would be questioning my well-being later, surely, but, we’d cross that bridge when we came to it.

“Da - Boss?” I said finally.

“What, Siren?” I frowned at his tone. He rolled his eyes. “Did you need something?” I kept frowning.

“I’m just curious as to where we’re going. Considering it’s midday, and you’re driving normally, and no one’s shooting out the windows.” He looked at me strangely.

“You’ll know when everyone else does, won’t you?” I looked at him disapprovingly, the same as I would anyone else. If I couldn’t call him Daddy, had to say “Boss” like everyone else, then I wouldn’t act like he was my father. No special treatment. I sighed angrily and returned my head to Muse’s shoulder. No sooner was I comfortable, when he brought the car abruptly to a halt. I straightened and looked out the window.

BRUCE WAYNE INDUSTRIES.

Daddy!” He turned to me. “No!”

“Last I checked, I give the orders here. And you follow them.” He looked serious, but no way was I going into Bruce’s company! I set my face firmly.

“No, Daddy.” My tone was soft, but as firm as I could bring myself to make it.

“This isn’t optional, Siren.”

“Daddy, you only want to do this because I like him.”

“You have no idea what my motives are, Isabelle! Don’t act like you do!” I flinched. I’ll admit it. He’d never snapped at me like that. I looked at him, shocked.

“I can’t. I’m not going in there.” He said nothing, just narrowed his eyes, before starting the car back up. I was speechless. There was clearly more to this than he would say.

“Don’t act like you do…” he repeated softly. I said nothing in response. “This won’t do,” he continued. “No, no. It won’t do at all…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I know this was short.
I'm really sorry, it just seemed like a good place to stop.
It's a vital part, though.
I'm also sorry it's been so long between updates.
Between school and... other stuff, I've been really busy.
Sorry again.
Comments and stuff would be great.